Yorkville issue...suggestions? (LS801P)

Story:

A few months back one of my LS801P subs started developing a output issue.
It periodically would just stop producing sound for a few seconds up to a minute at random times at various volume levels.
The power module always showed power when not producing sound and always fed a signal through to the other PA cabinets.
It would do this if I was playing soft quiet break music and also when a band was playing all out. It would do it within the first few seconds of it being turned on and also later on in the performance.....it would happen at various times throughout a night or sometimes would not happen at all.

Me being not the technical genius could only open up the amp module and look for something to jump out at me and say *here is the problem*...well, that didn't happen.
Nothing stands out as far as my eye can see....and like I said, the unit does work and you just don't know when it is not!

I had tried to replicate the issue in my basement by letting music play through it....went 12+ hours and the issue never happened.
I tried kicking, dropping, rocking the cabinet back and forth violently....nothing.
I checked all leads going to the speaker internally and everything looked fine, no loose wires and solder connections on the driver looked good.

The unit is out of warranty (by 3-months) and the price to ship the entire cab back to Yorkville would be close to $400 round trip (just not worth it IMO).
My dealer talked with the local sales rep and we decided to send just the amp module in to be checked....as I would have guessed, they can't find anything wrong with it. (because it works)
The service tech had me call them direct to explain to him exactly what the unit was doing and he is firm in his evaluation of the amp module that it is not the problem.
He of course asked for me to send the entire cabinet back....thats just not happening.

Now some have suggested to me that it is possibly the driver itself....but, I have had the driver working on its own in my basement for over a month now and it has worked everytime without issue.

The only thing I am not sure of is it could possibly of been a poor connection on one of the multipin connectors attached to the amp module (speaker lead). But I have know way of really knowing that.

Any other thoughts? Ideas? or do I now just have a 150lb paper weight?

The Yorkville tech said that he was going to look at a few more things on the amp module, so I don't know when I will get it back.
They have had it now for 3+ weeks already.

Thanks,
Vinny

Re: Yorkville issue...suggestions? (LS801P)

Maybe swap drivers in the subs. Wondering if there might be some sort of intermittent issue in the coil winding. Just an idea.

I have had the driver powered up while it has been sitting in my basement, it's worked fine.
Thats why I am starting to wonder if it was one of the connectors that attach the speaker leads to the amp module...maybe it wasn't seated fully.

Vinny,

Measure DC resistance on both woofers. It should match within a few tenths of an ohm. If not, the driver is probably your culprit and the amp is shutting down due to over current. If it does match, that doesn't rule out the woofer but it does make it less likely that it is the culprit.

Vinny,

Measure DC resistance on both woofers. It should match within a few tenths of an ohm. If not, the driver is probably your culprit and the amp is shutting down due to over current. If it does match, that doesn't rule out the woofer but it does make it less likely that it is the culprit.

Thanks, I will check that out!

Do you xlr looms or individual cables to connect your gear? You could have a band speaker jack, or an xlr jack, or xlr connector on a cable. Try testing your xlr's. Worth a shot.

ps. If you don't have a cable tester handy, let me know and I'll drop one by.

Do you xlr looms or individual cables to connect your gear? You could have a band speaker jack, or an xlr jack, or xlr connector on a cable. Try testing your xlr's. Worth a shot.

ps. If you don't have a cable tester handy, let me know and I'll drop one by.

Can't be a cable/jack issue as the signal that feeds through to the other cabs is not effected.

Hi, I sometime have a similar problem, the sub power up, inclusive the limit work, but the sub no sound, I check the speaker and mark continuity, I install the speaker and no sound, other time extract the speaker and ckeck continuity and mark opened, I check the speaker with the technician and detect that the cable that go of the conector to the cone of speaker is making bad contact, this was rewelded and problem solved.