I am looking to purchase a powered speaker system for my band, pair of overheads and subs

lamont robinson

Apr 8, 2018
bermuda
I have a band that plays all genres of music, and I am trying to purchase powered speakers but all the forums, that I have read, on the topic of which is best system are dated. I was hoping to get an idea of what would be the best powered speaker system in 2018. I was looking for a pair of overheads and subs and not in need of monitors for small rooms to a small field events. If there are any suggestions it would greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

The "best" really depends on many factors, as Rob's post notes.

Below are a few general ideas, without knowing more about your needs. I have excluded "budget" lines of speakers.

In the lower end of the spectrum, the new QSC K (2nd generation) series stuff is quite nice. There is lots of competition in this space, but I prefer the K's at that sort of price point, and QSC's powered stuff tends to be very reliable in my experience, and their new cardioid sub is good sounding and very compact.
2 tops and 2 subs will be in the $3500-6000 USD range depending on selections.

A slight step up would be something like the JBL SRX800 series.
2 tops and 2 subs will be in the $5000-10000 range depending on selections

If you want to get into very HQ pro powered cabs, take a look at Fulcrum Acoustic's FA Portable line, RCF TT series, L'Acoustics P series, etc. Expensive, but awesome, especially boxes like the Fulcrum FA22ac which are compact but incredibly powerful. The FA22ac is the nicest powered cab I've ever encountered at any price (albeit around $6000 each)
2 tops and 2 subs will be in the $15000-20000+ range depending on selections

Last edited:
Thank you all for replying, I was in desperate need of advice as my speaker system has fallen apart, I had a gig the next day and had to rent. I ended up purchasing the QSC Kw series, two overheads and two subs, which was also advised by an audio-visual friend pf mine who has worked with several speaker brands. I am glad that the QSC's were advised in this forum as well, I made the purchase the same night as I knew it would take about a week to arrive on island, so it is nice to know that it is a top consideration among others. I shall be sure to feed back on my experience with them.

Thank you all again
It is appreciated

What's your budget? Any other factors such as size/weight that matter?

I didn't really have a budget plan, I wasn't sure how much I was willing to spend, I knew I just needed right proper speakers immediately. The speakers are for my band; bass, guitar, drums, keys and two lead vocalist. We play in lobby's of hotels, ballrooms, small fields and beach bars with audiences ranging from 150 up to 500. I have a small van but I have loaded some enormous speakers in them before, they were ridiculous at least 3 x 3 cubic feet and very heavy, so I really didn't think of size when asking, but in hindsight I should have as I do not want to experience a likeness to that.

thanks again