rodent sound detection thoughts?

jack mathis

Jul 16, 2019
I have a mole problem in my yard and my thought is these ground burring creatures must have some trait that would allow me to detect them while making tunnels in my yard. My thought is that if there were some type equipment (similar to a metal detector or something) that I could scan my yard with and detect what ever sound or wave or frequency that these critters put out, I could catch them and put them in the relocation program. Anyone hear have any thoughts that may lead me to the equipment that could possibly accomplish this task? Thanks in advance for any ideas :) Jack

Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) could be used, but is far more expensive and difficult to use than a pointy metal rod.

Moles are very territorial, release into another mole's territory may result in fighting between individuals and even death. Release into an area with no existing burrows makes it difficult for the mole(s) to obtain sufficient food to survive, so it's generally recommended that if a mole is captured it is humanely dispatched.

There are plenty of devices on the market for capture and "humane dispatch" of ground burrowing animals.
Just don't use the Bill Murray "Caddyshack" methods ;^).

I have a mole problem in my yard and my thought is these ground burring creatures must have some trait that would allow me to detect them while making tunnels in my yard. My thought is that if there were some type equipment (similar to a metal detector or something) that I could scan my yard with and detect what ever sound or wave or frequency that these critters put out, I could catch them and put them in the relocation program. Anyone hear have any thoughts that may lead me to the equipment that could possibly accomplish this task? Thanks in advance for any ideas :) Jack
What's your budget, home owner or US Military? There are all kinds of sound and vibration sensors used to help secure all kinds of "government installations" but you need a Pentagon-sized chequebook. What actions will you take when you detect subterranean activity?

Consider hiring professional pest control services.