Seeking Bruel & Kjaer LAN-XI software install support

Austin Green

Dec 11, 2019
Wisconsin USA
We were involved in nearly a year of work with Bruel & Kjaer to get a webex demonstration of minimal application support and to take delivery of a LAN-XI 3050-A-030 with microphones, cables, software and integration to test peak decibels of impulse noise events.

The system has been delivered for about 6 weeks but has not been integrated in that it is not functionally working with software. During the install, we saw a failure of the system to do what we were shown in the webex demo.

We wanted to put the system into auto mode, and have 5 or 10 peak events display in real time in 3 rows, one row per microphone, and averaged in a cell on the right.

The system is sporadically losing events, holding one in a buffer, and taking 3-7 seconds (variable time) to be ready to record the next event.

The software displays events that were captured that it sporadically fails to output to Microsoft Excel, which is the only way to see the peak decibel values.

We are concerned because it doesn't seem like b&k usa, HBK as they are now known, is structured properly for, or posessing the skills, knowledge, and experience to tackle this simple integration challenge.

If anyone is aware of a path to resolution, please e-mail me. Im at a loss here, I don't know who the solution guys are, I get the feeling all the smart people in the structure are in Denmark and feel it may have been a mistake to consider Bruel & Kjaer to represent a solution provider in the USA.

We spent a decent amount of money here, and that investment isn't a performing asset based on our assessment and that of the integrating sales technician. We were originally hoping to be testing products and doing marketing 11 months ago. We've lost a lot of time and are unable to do exactly what the system is marketed to allow in B&K PDF brochures.

My sales engineer is coming back out Wednesday of next week. That will be his 4th attempt on the install. I appreciate that he's trying and I hope he can get it.

I want to be a b&k fan.

Did you get in to contact directly with B&K Denmark?
I emailed them and I believe they forwarded it to HBK usa, and they probably know who the right support people are and I hope they are part of the proposed solution the sales engineer believes he has the ability to integrate next week.

I believe the hardware is good hardware, its a question more of whether the software will allow it to work.

No experience with B&K products of today, but I have a 20+ old B&K 4007 mic that still passes it's original calibration.

I hope this works out for you.
Thanks, I had a visit today, and the sales guys were able to get the template functionally outputting data to excel. The time for that is actually 6 seconds per impulse noise measurement, because the software is doing many calculations we don't need it to do, but it is doing that now. The sales engineers were here for an hour or two, but we spent the rest of the day working with the system to get everything measuring correctly in 102khz.

We had an oddity though. One of the microphones appears to have failed, outputting 1/2 the db value. I dont see anything in the template that could cause that. Its essentially day one for us, but that system has been static for about 6 weeks in a climate controlled room as this has been in development though the system has only been in use about 3 days.

Turns out the mic worked but the delta range for the impulse noise on the microphone wasn't set up in software, so it was looking at zero time. We were able to reduce sampling time for various functions in total duration of microseconds to achieve faster function also.

So now the system records one shot per 4 seconds. Thats as fast as i can measure events.

My problem is resolved essentially with the only further improvement possible being the ability to shut down certain processing functions so we can trade lost time doing things we dont care about, for greater duration of time looking at data for the peak impulse noise in DBs that we do care about.