01V96 wirless connection

Okay stupid question time. I just picked up an 01V96. I have it talking to studio manager from my laptop. If I want to go wireless with my PC tablet - do I still need my laptop inline ( using vnc) or are there any USB to wirless router pieces of gear, that I don't know about out there..

thanks

SP

Re: 01V96 wirless connection

There are several different USB devices that you could use. I don't go that route so I don't know makes/models but I'm sure someone who does will chime in. I prefer the VNC approach because it can recover from wireless dropouts much more smoothly than the dedicated device can.

Here's a good thread I found over on the old forums... I was looking for info on ADAT addition of channels and such... and this thread somewhat turned into a discussion of wireless control, and if I'm understanding correctly... the OP in the thread got a wireless router with two USB ports, and has his 01v96 hooked to one and his DR260 to the other, and controlling both wirelessly with his laptop. One computer, no VNC and it seems to be working for him.

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/63626/609667/9600/#msg_609667

Re: 01V96 wireless connection

Shane,

I've been struggling with connection issues and dropouts with the Silex unit (USB print server)for a couple years. Finally broke down and bought a tablet to VNC with the laptop USB'd to the 01V96. I have virtually eliminated most of my issues running it this way. I would highly recommend doing it this way.

BJ

Thanks for the replies... do you think a simple small netbook could host SM, and I could VNC to it with the tablet. Keep in mind this console is only going to be used by my band, and I'll be tweaking it prior to the show - after that, there will be no wireless adjustments... so I'm trying to get the cheapest solution to a two song soundcheck tweak...

I play an e-kit, and I have a couple songs sequenced that the guys play along with....

I played the songs with a click, so it is at my playing intensity w dynamics, not just boom bang...

Shane.

Netbook works fine. you just have to make the screen resolution larger so that you can meet the minimum screen resolution for SM of 1024x768.

I use a Samsung NC10 netbook and it works fine.

From Craig Basten:

I've had great success with the 01V96 using nothing but a D-Link DIR-655. That particular router has a shareable USB port on it, in addition to the four normal Ethernet ports.

To use the USB port, there's bundled software that Dlink calls 'Shareport'.

It took me a little bit to get it working consistently; here's the procedure which should hopefully save you a little time.

PREREQUISITES:

-You know how to get your computer to connect to the router.
-You're able to establish a Studio Manager connection via cable. If you can't do these, you're wasting your time.

1. Connect your computer to the router via wireless.
2. Launch Shareport (it'll tell you no devices are connected).
3. Plug the desk into the router's USB port; Shareport will recognize it momentarily. (Shareport will say ''waiting for connection'').
4. Connect to the desk in Shareport.
5. Launch studio manager and connect to the console just as if it were wired.
6. Synchronize and operate just like you would if it were wired directly.

I've been pretty pleased with the results.

From Craig Basten:

I've had great success with the 01V96 using nothing but a D-Link DIR-655. That particular router has a shareable USB port on it, in addition to the four normal Ethernet ports.

To use the USB port, there's bundled software that Dlink calls 'Shareport'.

It took me a little bit to get it working consistently; here's the procedure which should hopefully save you a little time.

PREREQUISITES:
-You know how to get your computer to connect to the router.
-You're able to establish a Studio Manager connection via cable. If you can't do these, you're wasting your time.

1. Connect your computer to the router via wireless.
2. Launch Shareport (it'll tell you no devices are connected).
3. Plug the desk into the router's USB port; Shareport will recognize it momentarily. (Shareport will say ''waiting for connection'').
4. Connect to the desk in Shareport.
5. Launch studio manager and connect to the console just as if it were wired.
6. Synchronize and operate just like you would if it were wired directly.

I've been pretty pleased with the results.

[FONT=&quot]I have read several reports of success with the DIR-655 router with usb and the O1V96 so I thought I would give it a try myself for wireless mixing. I got the DIR-655 and installed it and it seems to work very well from the o1v96 console to the PC. Faders, on off ch on off (except for meters) EQ but hardly at all the other way around. I move a fader on the pc and it moves only slightly on the o1V. Sometimes the fader movements commands from the PC are ignored all together A channel on off command from the PC is always ignored on the console etc.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As a little background the first major hitch I found was that I had to reinstall the midi drivers for the Dlink instance on the usb connection when ”a new device was found”. That part works fine now. I can even hot swap between my direct usb and the dlink wireless connection and it connects almost immediately but the connection only works well from the console to the PC when I am wireless. It is something on the wireless transmit to the console side that is the issue I suspect. When I get a couple of free minutes I am going to try connecting to the Dlink via wired ethernet to see if that works the same as the wireless connection as far as the console is concerned.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] I am using the latest version (as of last week) of SM and the latest firmware for the O1V96. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I am running xp pro sp3 on a Dell precision M65 laptop.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I am also using [/FONT][FONT=&quot]the latest rev of the Dlink Share Port utility. I should also add that the direct USB connection from my Dell laptop to the O1v96 is working fine. Further I am using DIR-655 solely for the purpose of controlling the O1V96 so there is no internet connection or other devices on this dedicated network[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Any thoughts as to how to fix the PC to o1V control path?

[/FONT]

It looks like you guys know what you are doing, I thought I would just share my little Yamaha WiFi rig. Since wireless routers have become so inexpensive I didn't have a problem just getting a standard unit. It's a Netgear router that I mounted in the doghouse of the console. I had a machine shop make the bracket to custom fit the unit out light gauge aluminum since the dog house has an Edac loom for the analog i/o's. I got over 200 feet away from the console and had full control and no signal loss. I have about 8 wireless networks around my house.

The trick was (as stated above) was to make sure that the console and SM software is up to date (as well as the yamaha midi plug-in). Once you have it talking hardwired its a matter of addressing the IP's so they are close, but not the same as the console or the computer. I've heard that some Yamaha consoles require a crossover cable, but the LS9 does not. Yamaha does not support DHCP so all addresses must be made manual.

Whichever device you use you need to plug the console into one of the outputs of the router, not an input.
IMG_0421.jpg

Kip,

This is a discussion about the 01v96 wireless setup. Please don't add to the confusion by inserting information about IP addresses thats unnecessary.

The 01v96 uses USB. NOT ethernet like the larger Yamaha boards do. So no they do not need to plug the console into the output of the router. They would either need a router with a USB port that has compatable sharing software, or a host computer that they can remote desktop/VNC into.

I found someone on the PSW forum who as virtually the identical problem.
See below:

"Yes. I've talked to dlink tech support and downloaded the latest firmware and shareport versions and nothing has helped. Although I haven't been able to upgrade the DIR655 firmware yet since when you download the firmware it doesn't come with the application to install it. Either way, the problem is the same. Moving a fader or recalling a scene directly from the mixer will respond instantly and everytime in studio manager but from studio manager to the mixer I only get sporadic a response even when I run out of a wired ethernet port to the 655. So it's not a wireless issue but instead seems to be the way shareport is handling the data to the mixer. I thought that maybe the problem was that I'm running win7/64 so I recreated the setup on a 32bit xp machine and the results we even worse. Any ideas?? "

So it is looking like the wireless portion is not the problem. It is a PC to O1V96 transmit side issue. Somewhere in the PC/Shareport USB to Ethernet translation and then Ethernet to USB translation at the DIR-655 there is a problem. I was hoping to hear from someone who actually has it working, (I have seen posts from folks who say they have it working) and see if we can figure out what is different in the setup.

Love to hear from someone who has it working. Craig Basten perhaps?

;-)

Thank You
Bill

I have an idea. Are you running NAT (Network Address Translation) on the router? Make sure you have fixed IP addresses for all devices that use IP.
I used a Silex with no trouble as long as I didn't use the wireless. I used a normal wireless router for my PC and only used the Silex for USB to IP translation.

I have an idea. Are you running NAT (Network Address Translation) on the router? Make sure you have fixed IP addresses for all devices that use IP.
I used a Silex with no trouble as long as I didn't use the wireless. I used a normal wireless router for my PC and only used the Silex for USB to IP translation.

It doses not seem to jive with the mostly one way control issue I am having but it is an interesting point. I will check it and set a fixed IP, if the Dlink will let me set one for its USB port. I should mention that DHCP is currently turned on in the router.

Thx
Bill

Rob, NAT is a function of routing that makes all the LAN ports share the WAN port, and should not matter in this application. Nothing should be connected to the WAN port.

You may be referring to DHCP, in which case there can only be one DHCP server on the network, so you would be right in turning it off on the secondary device.

Some people believe that DHCP is evil, but when devices support it (most do), it makes it far easier to manage a network, especially a large one.

Rob, NAT is a function of routing that makes all the LAN ports share the WAN port, and should not matter in this application. Nothing should be connected to the WAN port.

You may be referring to DHCP, in which case there can only be one DHCP server on the network, so you would be right in turning it off on the secondary device.

Some people believe that DHCP is evil, but when devices support it (most do), it makes it far easier to manage a network, especially a large one.

Yes, I know what NAT is. I don't know his full configuration. His router may have the wireless connection on a different subnet or a DMZ (some newer units offer this for guest use) and be using NAT between zones (and maybe the Yamaha drivers don't cope?).

I find DHCP makes it hard to manage a large network but easy to deploy one. Without dynamic DNS it is a pain to remotely manage DHCP addressed devices. But I digress... :)

I don't know his full configuration. His router may have the wireless connection on a different subnet or a DMZ (some newer units offer this for guest use) and be using NAT between zones (and maybe the Yamaha drivers don't cope?).

:)

From an earlier post.

I am using the latest version (as of last week) of SM and the latest firmware for the O1V96. I am running xp pro sp3 on a Dell precision M65 laptop. I am also using the latest rev of the Dlink Share Port utility. I should also add that the direct USB connection from my Dell laptop to the O1v96 is working fine. Further I am using DIR-655 solely for the purpose of controlling the O1V96 so there is no internet connection or other devices on this dedicated network.

I do have DHCP turned on the router at the moment and I am letting it assign IPs to the USB port and my laptop.

Please let me know if you have any further questions

thx
Bill

OK, I bought a Belkin Play N600 router to use for this purpose based on the recommendation from this thread,
http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/609615/0/

I am using the above router and a Lenovo Thinkpad tablet X61. The computer and mixer have no problems syncing while using USB, but when I try to use the router (which sees the 01v fine in it's USB utility) It won't sync. The problem is that the sync will begin like normal, but is incredibly slow, and at about 4-5% "synced" it stops saying that it has timed out.

Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is that my laptop only has a "g" wireless card in it. Would upgrading to an "n" card help? Or should this run at g speeds of 54mbps?

I'm a PC idiot. This is the only PC I've ever owned and I really would like this to work before I throw it in the river....

MTU size??

I couldn't tell you.

For all the reasons mentioned above I have given up on using a USB to wireless interface on the Host side and am just running a dedicated computer. I use a netbook I have around (Samsung NC10) but I'd assume any of the small 200ish dollar guys will do the job.

From an earlier post.

I am using the latest version (as of last week) of SM and the latest firmware for the O1V96. I am running xp pro sp3 on a Dell precision M65 laptop. I am also using the latest rev of the Dlink Share Port utility. I should also add that the direct USB connection from my Dell laptop to the O1v96 is working fine. Further I am using DIR-655 solely for the purpose of controlling the O1V96 so there is no internet connection or other devices on this dedicated network.

I do have DHCP turned on the router at the moment and I am letting it assign IPs to the USB port and my laptop.

Please let me know if you have any further questions

thx
Bill

Well, since the network has only 3 componants why use DHCP at all. Assign the addresses and use ones outside the default ranges.
If the 01V96 (via USB) has a DHCP address, it may change from time to time and creat a future problem. There is no need for DHCP in your little network.