[FS] 14' Box truck for sale - Ford e350 diesel

Re: 14' Box truck for sale - Ford e350 diesel

Rob, it was more of a sarcasm. I am always amazed buy American inefficient engines that just soaks fuel.

Interestingly, the 2011 Mercedes E350 with a similarly spec'd (from a performance perspective, not displacement) engine get's about 23MPG EPA highway. Compare this to the 18-23MPG highway users are observing for the cargo vans which have significantly worse aerodynamics and weigh nearly double what that Mercedes does, and you might find that the American engines aren't so bad.

There's much more to a modern diesel engine than just displacement.

You are comparing totally different types of engines. Sure the E350 will not be very economical. It revs up to almost 5K and does almost 250km/h, while truck engines do 2.5K, so lot different. Here those types of truck usually have a 3 lit engine with about 180Hp and does about 35mpg. Plus they run on Euro3/4 diesel fuel that is much cleaner.

You are comparing totally different types of engines. Sure the E350 will not be very economical. It revs up to almost 5K and does almost 250km/h, while truck engines do 2.5K, so lot different. Here those types of truck usually have a 3 lit engine with about 180Hp and does about 35mpg. Plus they run on Euro3/4 diesel fuel that is much cleaner.

That's the USA Emissions controls for you; in 2006 diesels required Catalytic Convertors. I have a '06 Chevy 3500 Duramax; when loaded I average 16 mpg while keeping with highway traffic (55-75 mph) and if I unloaded the van, I can average 23-25 mpg. Soon I hope to add a Tuner/Programmer and a turbo-back exhaust (cat delete) and gain 6-8 mpg (reported by others).

Ford uses different tuning than International and as such, has different power and torque specs. The van implementation of this engine (the one in the truck in the OP) is not intercooled, as intercoolers won't fit in a van. Because of this, they run hotter and have to be detuned to be reliable. The vans make about 215bhp if I remember, while the 7.3 trucks made up to 275bhp stock.

This van has a pyrometer installed in it because I ran stage 2 injectors for a while, which give me about 380bhp. I decided it was too much for a box truck and reverted it to stock to sell it.

The truck's fuel economy is limited by aerodynamics; it gets 12mpg loaded or empty.

***the 7.3 diesel is one of the best diesel engines ever made, with some performance modifications they can do 1500+bhp and if they are left stock they last over 1 million miles.