18 sound design

Lol the sticky No Compromises subwoofer is based on this design, as is mine (though I steal tricks from Evan's CD 218 and altered it considerably). Once you split the cabinet in half it's a very solid design.

Splitting the cabinet in half makes the cabinet considerably stiffer, and gives each driver it's own enclosure which helps in case of driver failure and more (there's a whole discussion in the other thread about this).

As far as my subs went, I made one with leftover ply and spare JBL 2241 drivers based on the design Luke came up with. Sound came out, and I've been meaning to created a revised version with a more massive port using a big-boy driver, but I haven't had the time, money, nor access to materials required. That and I've been lazy this semester outside of schoolwork.

whenever i got some time this year (around September or so), I'll do one proto with the center part little modified:
I just extend the tunnels on each opposize side (left upper E-c and right lower E-a) and the center brace (F) to the full depth of the cabinet, so it will be a diagonal separated and you'll have two separate "volumes" - this is my plan8)~:cool:~:cool:

... and MOOOOORE braces :D~:-D~:grin::D~:-D~:grin::D~:-D~:grin:

Is there a way of doing a real-world SPL measurement and get any kind of meaningful number?

I have a SPL calibrator and a measurement mic capaple of 159dB, I've been thinking about just putting the box outdoors and feed it pink noise untill it starts making funny noises or I run out of amp.

d8d8db457d1dc918b634e3561429389c.jpg
eb629a28598854f483ae4962ada62020.jpg

Picking this up tomorrow :)

Sent from my iPhone

Reactions: David Morison