3 way - Horn loaded Mid top - Development Thread - 15" 8" 1"

Diggory Rush

Jan 5, 2019
Kent, UK
Hi all,

I'm in the very early stages of designing a three-way mid top based around the B&C 15ndl76 and the sonitus MR8XT. At the moment I'm designing the 15" BPH section and aiming to use it for between 100-400hz (although idealy it would be used from 80hz up). I'm hoping for an average sensitivity of 102db -3db in the pass band.

I'm well aware it's a gargantuan task but, I've seen it done a few times before. If anyone has any pointers I'd be very happy to hear them. I also have a full equipped workshop and I'm very comfortable with the woodworking aspects and expecting to be making a fair few prototypes, as well as spend a good deal of time on Solidworks.

Here's it so far:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

a peek 15.png

sim 23 01 19.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: Carl Klinkenborg
I would look at the Peter Morris diy box for insperation as i have simular plans to you using the same 15 you spec here.
By using a coaxial mid/high it gets to 700hz then it uses the12” version of the bc.
It also designed to utilities the area around the high mid/hf horn for the rear chamber, ported too.

I would second Roger's suggestion. Take a look at the BMS coaxials - proven outstanding results in many other designs, and you end up with a smaller cabinet and simpler design. The B&C coaxials, whenever those ship, look great too. Using the small passive crossover for the BMS mid-hi transition then leads to only having to deal with a 2 way cabinet, thus simplifying DSP, amplification and cabling requirements and costs.

You can then focus your efforts on designing the low end horn knowing that the mids/highs will be well taken care of.
You will be hard pressed to top Peter M's design, it is quite a gift to the community here. I am sure you could build this and be happy with the results. If you'd rather do your own design for the fun of it, by all means, more power to you, make some sawdust! (y)