5.8GHz digital IEM system vs other options?

Steve Rolfe

Mar 14, 2021
London, Ontario, Canada
I'm an audio technician with a background in location recording, but I also play bass, mostly 5-string, in a variety of smaller, low end venues.

For the last 6 years, one of my main gigs has been at a house of worship that has a "silent stage" setup with 5 Sennheiser G3 UHF transmitters at the back of the hall. They're run panned in mono, sadly.

Sound quality is better than cheaper options I've tried, but still nothing like a good wired headphone amp. Also, reception has always been a bit on the edge, with intermittent interference.

In order to keep working during COVID, I've been ranging a bit further afield. I've always preferred an amp and wedges over IEM's, e-drums and no backline. But now that I've sampled both, I'm finding that while I love working with an amp and acoustic percussion again, I still need a good personal stereo IEM solution.

It also needs to be something that I can set up with minimal assistance from FOH- I'm not playing stadiums, and if I can grab a few feeds on stage, I'm way better off than begging for assistance from often untrained and overworked techs.

I'm finding that I can get back with just 4 feeds:
  • 1/4" lines from the DI through jacks for the keyboard and guitar.
  • A FOH feed from a stage box or FOH.
  • The line out from my amp or DI through.
I feed them into a mini mixer that sits beside me, a bit of EQ and panning, and woila!

However, having my ear buds connected to an umbilical cord is a giant pain, especially in situations where there's a lot of movement on and off stage.

As always, I've got Cadillac tastes and a Volkswagen budget. I've noticed the buzz about MIPRO as a good budget solution.

I'm liking the look of the MI-909, and especially the new MI-58. I wouldn't touch a 2.4GHz system, but 5.8GHz seems like it might be just the ticket.

Because the transmitter is going to live with me on stage, range isn't my main concern. I just want a solid audio signal with good clarity and bandwidth, combined with reliable, plug-and-play connectivity. The extra channels and lack of competition for them on the 5.8GHz band seem really appealing.

Your comments and personal experience are welcome.

Last edited: