A budget studio mic for home recording?

Daria Taylor

May 26, 2019
USA, New York
Help me choose a microphone for home recording, the budget is not big, but still, please help.I've made a list of some good models of microphones,
If anyone had experience with any of these microphones, tell me.

RODE NT1-A

AUDIO-TECHNICA AT 3035

BEHRINGER B-2 PRO

AKG c2000B 8883

AKG Perception 200

AKG Perception 400

NADY TCM 1050

NADY TCM 1150

I myself tend more to this top three: RODE NT1-A, AUDIO-TECHNICA AT 2035, NADY TCM 1050. What are the tips?

Audio Technica does better with the low end of their product line than most. Also used studio mics are usually a good purchase as there is little that goes wrong with them unless abused. A couple of weeks spent perusing Craigslist or Ebay might move your mic purchase up a model or two for the same price.

Reactions: Daria Taylor
Of the mics listed and without an audition to compare, I'd be inclined to pick the Rode. My application is live use, not recording so that affects my choices.

The A-T 3035 used to be the 'go to' mic for single mic bluegrass acts. Yuck. After a couple of years listening to the 3035 in that application I bought a Rode NT-2 and the improvement was immediate and noticeable. I think I still have a 3035 somewhere...

Not on your list but also very nice: Sennheiser MK-4. A bit more money than the Rode and it sounds better than my NT-2 on stage.

Hi Tim,

I think you are remembering the AT 4033A, with a 12 mm diaphragm, still a common Bluegrass mic.

The 3035 has a 19mm diaphragm.

Thanks and good health, Weogo

Of the mics listed and without an audition to compare, I'd be inclined to pick the Rode. My application is live use, not recording so that affects my choices.

The A-T 3035 used to be the 'go to' mic for single mic bluegrass acts. Yuck. After a couple of years listening to the 3035 in that application I bought a Rode NT-2 and the improvement was immediate and noticeable. I think I still have a 3035 somewhere...

Not on your list but also very nice: Sennheiser MK-4. A bit more money than the Rode and it sounds better than my NT-2 on stage.

I just picked up a matched pair of Rode M5 for $200. They can be used for anything - from overheads to guitar amps to vocals if your "clients" aren't listening with their eyes AKA want the look of a large diaphragm condenser (I have a cheap MXL for those LOL).