A high-tech anachronism

TJ Cornish

Graduate
Jan 13, 2011
St. Paul, MN
After first being exposed to them on a recent trip to D.C., I've fallen in love with Fisher pens. Fisher makes the "space pen" - the ballpoint pen NASA uses in the space program. Their claim to fame is the pen will write on anything - even underwater, from -30° to 250°.

I'm happy to report that the Fisher pens live up to their name and will write on the most inhospitable surface on the face of the earth - board tape. I don't like Sharpies on board tape, as the ink takes long enough to dry that I end up getting smeared on my hands, and most rollerballs never dry at all. In contrast, regular ballpoint pens usually write for a fraction of an inch and then get fouled by the tape surface. The Fisher pen writes just like you would expect a ball-point pen to write on the board tape - no drying time, no smears, and no intermittent writing.

I like both their bullet-style ones like this: http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Space-...TF8&qid=1455122545&sr=8-16&keywords=space+pen

and the clicky-style like this: http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Non-Re...UTF8&qid=1455122545&sr=8-1&keywords=space+pen

They make a slide-on clip for the bullet pens which is nice to keep them from rolling away, but the clip fits low enough on the body of the pen to make it stick out of your pocket too far if you clip it to your pocket, which is pretty much my only complaint.

I use less board tape these days with scribble strips, but I still end up using it on my lighting console and a few other places.

Re: A high-tech anachronism

They don't look like a rollerball, that's for sure, but the quality of my handwriting masks any lack of couture from the ball-point look of the Fisher.

I've been using Fisher pens for quite some time now. First heard about them on the "space pen" episode of Seinfield! A great American made product that is really affordable!

The joke running around NASA (I live in a community chock full of rocket scientists) is that while the USA spent millions developing a writing instrument that would work reliably in space, the Soviets chose to use a pencil.

frank

The joke running around NASA (I live in a community chock full of rocket scientists) is that while the USA spent millions developing a writing instrument that would work reliably in space, the Soviets chose to use a pencil.

frank
I don't claim to know the actual truth, but according to Fisher, NASA didn't spend the millions - Paul Fisher did, and NASA preferred the pen solution to avoid the risk of broken conductive pencil lead pieces getting stuck in equipment. Whatever the truth is, the joke is funny.

frank
Pencils come with their own hazards. Over 4 decades ago a friend had the local transformer winding company rewind a transformer for a big old tube Philips oscilloscope. This was pre switchmode era and so involved many thousands of turns of very fine wire for the EHT, carefully insulated between layers before terminating to phenolic tag board. Winders, wanting to make a tidy job, marked out the position of the tags on this board for drilling using.....a pencil. This provided an ideal track for breakdown when power was applied. The transformer didn't last long.
M