A real stage collapse

Re: A real stage collapse

I remember Servite HS. I can't believe they're still an antiquated "boys only" high school. And Rosary and "all girls" school. I was forced to go to the catholic school for 12 years, but at least it was coed. I think I would have gone insane being in a catholic school with their attempts to "program" me and no females around. In any case, it sounds like they should have done a bit better design on the stage.

Interesting. A lot of kids on stage, maybe they were dancing. So there was quite a bit of weight, maybe also dynamic load.

Stage flooring can stand very different weights, depending on the make and quality. The front section may have been good for some dozen people standing still (my impression while looking at the picture) and
nobody noticed until they got a full stage.

I'm glad nobody was seriously harmed, compared to what could have happened.

PS: Just found this report, where a witness describes the performance prior to the collapse as "everyone was jumping around like crazy". That is exactly what I thought...
Servite High School stage collapse: 25 injured in Rosary High School show | abc7.com

Interesting. A lot of kids on stage, maybe they were dancing. So there was quite a bit of weight, maybe also dynamic load.

Stage flooring can stand very different weights, depending on the make and quality. The front section may have been good for some dozen people standing still (my impression while looking at the picture) and
nobody noticed until they got a full stage.

I'm glad nobody was seriously harmed, compared to what could have happened.

PS: Just found this report, where a witness describes the performance prior to the collapse as "everyone was jumping around like crazy". That is exactly what I thought...
Servite High School stage collapse: 25 injured in Rosary High School show | abc7.com

"I doubt the pit cover was designed for that much dynamic force. In traditional use not many actors or singers play that far downstage, certainly not 200+ of them jumping around. Looking at the picture in the Times article, I'm guessing that the cover was built previously, probably in the school's scene shop, and has been used more than once before..." -Sherlock Jones, Forensic Stagehand

"There was something fishy about the butler; probably a Pisces, playing for scale." -Firesign Theater

Why can't I get a TV gig? I have the perfect face for radio! -Me

Last edited:

"I doubt the pit cover was designed for that much dynamic force. In traditional use not many actors or singers play that far downstage, certainly not 200+ of them jumping around. Looking at the picture in the Times article, I'm guessing that the cover was built previously, probably in the school's scene shop, and has been used more than once before..." -Sherlock Jones, Forensic Stagehand

"There was something fishy about the butler; probably a Pisces, playing for scale." -Firesign Theater

Why can't I get a TV gig? I have the perfect face for radio! -Me

Doesn't look like that much dynamic force:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aZPUJnUb3wA

But still, I doubt the construction would hold up to any standard here.

I remember having a gospel choir on a small outdoor stage (rated 750kg/m²), dancing was a heavy dynamic load on the stage and we ended up with them just before the stage.