Ban from PSW

Jan 10, 2011
Abingdon, MD
www.harfordsound.com
Looks like saying goodbye also results in getting ban from the site!
icon_lol.gif

Evan

Re: Ban from PSW

OUCH!!

I thought that your sign-off was fair and well within the posting rules & regs... what a bummer!

The old forum just got too slow this morning, so I finally signed out for the last time... I'm still waiting for them to approve me on the new forum... not holding my breath on that one really though.

I was sort of looking forward to a vacation from the Lab but here's to generating some content here.

If it means anything, let me know if you guys need any help getting things going.

I think the main draw to the old lab (from a wide user base perspective) was that SEO meant that most product searches revealed information about common products.

I think to form a solid backbone here, there needs to be some content that will show up in these searches. As much as all the regular users hate the casual one-post-wonders, we were ourselves likely driven to the lab through google searching and a small wiki (type) section could really help drive that traffic.

I'm thinking along these lines....

-Amplifier comparison matrices (Power draw, weight, etc)

-Microphone application/review (A variation of the recordinghacks mic page - you can read reviews, and user thoughts, as well as an over-arching summary by a 'staff' writer. (I'm thinking info on the SM59 more than the 58 and 57, (if you know what I mean) though the regular suspects would get covered too I'm sure)

-AC fundementals (Bigger to smaller, OCPD's, connector types, etc)

The list obviously goes on and on, but the idea is that when somebody searches for product X, Y, or Z they stumble upon some useful information. I'm sure we could generate some popular content quickly enough.

This would, in my mind, be somewhere between the study hall and a product review wiki, and could really set the site apart from whatever else is out there. I hope you guys realize that it's fun to break off from the lab, but there has to be a regenerative aspect to keep the forums alive. Some curmudgeonly SOB's talking about the good old days among eachother will get boring after a while. I mean that in the most polite and respectful way possible.

Cheers and here's to a great 2011.

Marlow

*Edit* fixed up paragraphs... that post was UGLY.

icon_lol.gif

Evan

That one really infuriated me. Evan, you were practically PSW's ''Poster Child'' for a long time, given how you've gone from newbie to touring pro and we've been able to witness it all.

I wish no harm towards PSW, it's been a tremendous resource. But they've just been shooting themselves in the foot lately by largely ignoring the voice of users. What a shame. Thanks to folks for stepping up.

icon_lol.gif

Evan

That one really infuriated me. Evan, you were practically PSW's ''Poster Child'' for a long time, given how you've gone from newbie to touring pro and we've been able to witness it all.

I wish no harm towards PSW, it's been a tremendous resource. But they've just been shooting themselves in the foot lately by largely ignoring the voice of users. What a shame. Thanks to folks for stepping up.

Sadly I agree. And for me personally, it's been very cool watching Evan's evolution. He contacted me years ago before he even joined PSW & we used to chat on AOL AIM from time to time. I can kind of picture Evan as Darth Vader, ''We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now *I* am the master.'' It was a bummer seeing him kicked.

Greg

icon_lol.gif

Evan

Well I had to spend some time to read what you posted.

I hated the wait-but it was well worth it.

Very well written and pretty much describes your ''transition'' into this business.

I will just give a little advice that I have given to many other people around your age.

You are young. You may think you have it (meaning your future) all figured out. Well maybe, but more likely you will go through a bunch of changes before it is all over.

You NEVER know what you will be doing. If you had told me back when I was your age that my life would have taken the turns it has-I would have told you that you were crazy-NO WAY. But truth is stranger than fiction.

I remember a young Josh Evans when I was his boss years ago. He felt he was going to spend his whole working life in that job. Well that was about 6 or more jobs ago-and he is not even 30 yet
icon_eek.gif

Ya never know.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

Like you got an email from Fowler or Kerr? For that?

Wow.

I think I pushed the buttons about as hard as I could w/o a ban, and I'm actually a little surprised I haven't gotten an PM saying ''back off, you're next.'' At this point, my comment in another thread there about 'jack-boot' behavior was more prescient than I originally thought.

The last time there was a major split in the Force, we lost some really good contributors to... nowhere. They didn't continue their contributions elsewhere, perhaps because back then there was no elsewhere worth going to. Now there seems to be. I'm tickled to see who's already on board here.

If someone ''official'' wants to PM or email me about the business plan....

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

It can't be comfortable sitting in the middle of a s***storm and having to maintain the ''company line''. While this is an oversimplification there is a kernel of truth in there somewhere.

I feel somewhat sorry for those stuck in between and tasked with cleaning up the mess from an ill-conceived and apparently high-handed decision.

What are we (the participants)......chopped liver?

I can't wait for the first noobs to find this forum so we can whack 'em around a bit like the good old days........

Uncle Tim's Digital Crystal Ball predicts that at least 2 of the PSW moderators will not renew their contracts. There are other predictions, but I need to adjust the damn outdoor antenna...

Well im here now too. let me know if I can do anything to help out.

The biggest way to help would be generating useful content, like asking questions/starting threads about relevant subjects which will help the site to have more connection points for search engines.

Alright cool. Wilco. Im heading out on an actual date for once so ill post some good stuff when I get back. Im one of the younger guys but I feel like I can contribute to this in many ways.