Behringer X32 Firmware v3.0 Feature Requests

John DiNicola

Sophomore
Aug 19, 2012
Los Angeles
Great, no more endless questions about Dugan in the X32 threads. :twisted:

Dear All,
As we have just rolled out generation 2.0 firmware for the X32, we are now starting to collect feature requests for 3.0. As mentioned some time ago we are considering adding auto-pitch correction as well as auto-mixing, a technology we are very familiar with. Auto-mixing has already been implemented in some of our commercial audio products, such as our EUROCOM MA6000M.

Re: New Yamaha QL Console at Frankfurt

We'll this isn't software related, but since you're listening... I'd like you to offer a redundant aes50 card ( removing the recording card) so when the cat5 connection drops due to static or whatever, it doesn't blow up my pa with "canon like" audio pops.

It's not related to the QL, either.

re: Behringer X32 Firmware v3.0 Feature Requests

Already planning for a v3?! Wow!!!

Get rid of those blocks of eight and implement a freely assignable routing matrix.

Oh, and I have this fantastic idéa. It would be awesome if we could play mp3-files.

While V3 seems to be something far away into the future and we really would like to see some kinks ironed out already in V2.xx, I assume that already mentioning V3 means that V2 is more or less locked feature wise, and only minor bug-fixes and tweaks can be expected for the foreseeable future.
Certainly makes sense, the X32 in its current guise must be getting close to the point where it makes no sense to continue using significant resources on development and attention needs to be shifted to next generation.
I guess V3 in many ways will be the first significant upgrade for the M32, and therefore will have to be aimed at the slightly different market segment that the M32 caters for, and I see that as a positive.
I'll just change the heading on my V2 wishlist, and off we go 8)~:cool:~:cool:

Mute group behaviour, as asked many times. If I manually mute a channel, it stays muted whatever mute group I choose. The only way to umute is manually again.

Also pressing a select of a channel (or more) gives the channels a safe function while recalling scenes. (Somebody else brought this up)

1. Add Automixing
2. Make channel and bus inserts available for AES50 and Card with multiple tap options, especially post fader
3. Get rid of groups of 8 in favor of a more flexible routing system
4. Add Customer fader layers contolled by the user assigned keys

Re: Behringer X32 Firmware v3.0 Feature Requests

1. Add Automixing

:thumbup::thumbup:
But in an other way. I mean a kind of automixing for use with 2 mics at a speaker desk, who select the best signal, so I have NOT to change it by hand :roll:

Vertical channel pairing or pairing to any other channel.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

On more thing I would like to see is a kind of "remote power on/off" for connected S16.
If I shut down the X32, the 2 or 3 connected S16 will go in stand by

Michael

1. Please oh please give us point to point patching, and not this groups of 8 patching. Some of us need only 12 channels from AES50, and 20 from local, plus all 6 (or 8) from the AUX inputs.
2. Multiple channel fader grouping, not just two adjacent channels. Yes, we have DCA's, but I find both can be highly functional when you've used up all your DCA's...
3. The ability to sacrifice an effects processor (#4) to gain "full channel" capability on the AUX ins- thus making the X32 into a full 40 or more inputs (very helpful in conjunction with the S16's)
4. The ability to assign our "money channel" to the MAIN fader, and consequently display the control of the STEREO out on the Matrix layer- fader 8, and move the Mono/Center to fader 7 on said matrix layer. Pressing the select button once takes you to the "money channel" info, while pressing and holding for 2 secs takes you to the Master's details.....

Thanks for asking....

I would honestly just be happy if they'd update the iPad app so its compatible with the V2 firmware, But since we're on the subject.......

(Some of these have already been mentioned)
1: Select-able DCA's so there is access to an Eq, Gate, Comp.... etc. on the entire DCA group.
2: The auto pitch correction idea is very debatable. It's okay if someones slightly sick, or just having a bad day, I personally think if a singer sucks then the board shouldn't fix it for them. But hey, most musicians are already lazy, why not make it even easier on them.:thumbup:
3: Again, doesn't have to do with the firmware, but redundant AES50 would be a nice touch.
4: The fader grouping really needs to be fixed. I would like to be able to group more than two channels that are right next to each other.
5: As far as the auto mixing goes.... Again, debatable. Hey if the musicians are lazy, why not the sound guys. We don't get credit for making them sound good anyway. And that can also give sound engineers exposed to that another excuse to not know how to do something that doesn't do the job for them.:thumbup:

Just my opinions........

1. Please oh please give us point to point patching, and not this groups of 8 patching. Some of us need only 12 channels from AES50, and 20 from local, plus all 6 (or 8) from the AUX inputs.

I was under the impression that the groups-of-8 thing was a hardware limitation?

2. Multiple channel fader grouping, not just two adjacent channels. Yes, we have DCA's, but I find both can be highly functional when you've used up all your DCA's...

At the same level, or with variable relative levels?

The latter, speaking as a software engineer who helped implement it on the AMS/Neve Logic 20 years ago (where it was called "ganging") is not easy.

Even with fixed levels, you'd still need to add a "hold down a key and select the other channels" mechanism, like for DCA assignment. With relative levels, you need to decide which is the master and which are slaves (moving a slave changes just its relative level to the master, moving a master changes it and all the slaves).

Auto mixing, individual routing, money channel on master fader, increasing from 32ch to 40 via aux inputs..?? Really? Is everyone forgetting the fact that's it a $2500 console..?? You're not getting a BMW for the price of a Jetta.

My request is they fix the things that are still messed up since long ago, like still linked gain controls after unlinking.

Auto mixing, individual routing, money channel on master fader, increasing from 32ch to 40 via aux inputs..?? Really? Is everyone forgetting the fact that's it a $2500 console..?? You're not getting a BMW for the price of a Jetta.

And you are forgetting that it is a $250,000,000 console. In development terms, it matters not an iota what each unit costs, but what revenue the design generates in total. The console might have generated as much as $25M in revenue for Behringer, so they can afford putting some effort into the firmware development. It is much harder putting significant development time into a €250,000 console of which you only sell ten or so.
Behringer is inviting suggestions for feature updates, so why shouldn't users come forward with their wishes?

My request is they fix the things that are still messed up since long ago, like still linked gain controls after unlinking.
Agreed, it is important to keep a good balance between adding features and options and fixing the little naggy details and minor bugs.

(Some of these have already been mentioned)
1: Select-able DCA's so there is access to an Eq, Gate, Comp.... etc. on the entire DCA group.
Then it's no longer a dca group, it's just a normal summing bus, if you need this then why not just turn your auxes into fixed busses?
2: The auto pitch correction idea is very debatable. It's okay if someones slightly sick, or just having a bad day, I personally think if a singer sucks then the board shouldn't fix it for them. But hey, most musicians are already lazy, why not make it even easier on them.:thumbup:
The option would be nice though, and auto tune as an effect is gaining popularity.
5: As far as the auto mixing goes.... Again, debatable. Hey if the musicians are lazy, why not the sound guys. We don't get credit for making them sound good anyway. And that can also give sound engineers exposed to that another excuse to not know how to do something that doesn't do the job for them.:thumbup:
It's more for corporate, when you need to get plenty of gbf with many open microphones, as an example check out the Dugan kit.

1. As a repeat of my earlier post "Gains on Fader"
  2. Custom layer on X32 Mix
  3. Allow up to 16 faders on the custom layer in X32 Mix.
  4. Big, easy to touch on a 7" screen spots on the eq curve so it is easier to modify the channel eq.
  5. On the iPad app, move the mute groups to above the faders so they are easier to press on a touch screen.
  6. Support an Android app for X32 Mix.
  7. Implement the efx download for expanding the efx library.
  8. Expand the channel eq on the AuxIN's to include a gate and compressor.
  9. Expand the MIDI control capabilities of the mixer.

Truth be told, with very few exceptions, I am very happy with the already excellent capabilities of the firmware. I am more interested in enhancing the capabilities of the software interface.

Unlike some, I would welcome a pitch correction effect. I think that it is a very effective method of making so so vocalists sound better.

And you are forgetting that it is a $250,000,000 console. In development terms, it matters not an iota what each unit costs, but what revenue the design generates in total. The console might have generated as much as $25M in revenue for Behringer, so they can afford putting some effort into the firmware development.
Good point but what really matters is profits not top line revenue. If the product has a thin profit margin, and low end customers that require a lot of hand holding, some majore fraction of that gross sales is just trading dollars, while still of value because the competition was denied that market share.
It is much harder putting significant development time into a €250,000 console of which you only sell ten or so.
This has been the catch 22 for low cost digital consoles for decades. They never hit a low enough price point to enjoy the high sales volume (before), but technology finally delivered, and I will give the Behringer team credit for a cost effective design.
Behringer is inviting suggestions for feature updates, so why shouldn't users come forward with their wishes?
I recall when forums would prohibit companies from doing "Product/market research" using the public forums. I was never allowed to back when I was in the game. This forum seems to be a little looser in that regard.
Agreed, it is important to keep a good balance between adding features and options and fixing the little naggy details and minor bugs.

IMO a good balance is fixing all identified problems. Adding new features help the company sell more units to new customers. Fixing bugs help the customers who already paid their money, and aren't hot candidates for spending more soon.

That said software is never finished, and a system of this complexity will probably never be completely bug free, but I would focus my effort more on fixing stuff to take care of the peeps who spent their money.

JR