Behringer x32 rack : Aux out for in-ear mix (problem)

Oli Lem

Apr 3, 2022
Brussels
Hello guys,

I’d need your help regarding the « aux out » on the Behringer X32 (rack version), we use that console for our band’s rehearsal and for live.

At first we were a 4-man band, we all use in-ear system in stereo and we are currently using the XLR outs from 1-8 for routed to individual mixbus.
Today for the new guy, we want to use his in-ear system (stereo) so we figure it would be okay to use the Aux Out (TRS) 1-2.

The problem is : it seems that the mix from the 1-2 Aux Out is the same as the 1-2 XLR out currently used by the other musician. Physically, different outputs are used, but in the mixer it is like the XL out 1-2 and the TRS out 1-2 are “linked”/copied.

Here is our actual routing setup in the Analog Out tab :

(analog out) XLR OUT 1 > (category) Mix Bus > (Output signal) MixBus 01 > (Tap) Pre Fader

(analog out) XLR OUT 2 > (category) Mix Bus > (Output signal) MixBus 02 > (Tap) Pre Fader

= In-Ear stereo mix 1

(analog out) XLR OUT 3 > (category) Mix Bus > (Output signal) MixBus 03 > (Tap) Pre Fader

(analog out) XLR OUT 4 > (category) Mix Bus > (Output signal) MixBus 04 > (Tap) Pre Fader

= In-Ear stereo mix 2

(analog out) XLR OUT 5 > (category) Mix Bus > (Output signal) MixBus 05 > (Tap) Pre Fader

(analog out) XLR OUT 6 > (category) Mix Bus > (Output signal) MixBus 06 > (Tap) Pre Fader

= In-Ear stereo mix 3

(analog out) XLR OUT 7 > (category) Mix Bus > (Output signal) MixBus 07 > (Tap) Pre Fader

(analog out) XLR OUT 8 > (category) Mix Bus > (Output signal) MixBus 08 > (Tap) Pre Fader

= In-Ear stereo mix 4

In the Aux out tab :

AUX Out 1 > (category) Mix Bus > (Output signal) MixBus 09 > (Tap) Pre Fader

AUX Out 2 > (category) Mix Bus > (Output signal) MixBus 10 > (Tap) Pre Fader

= In-Ear stereo mix 5

==> For example, when I add more bass signal in the mix n°5 (Aux out 1-2 thus), it will also add more bass in the mix n°1 (XLR out 1-2).

Any idea what’s wrong here ?
I’ve checked for hours in the settings but I can’t figure it out.

Thanks a lot in advance for your input ! :)

(sorry for my English, I’m no native)

I haven’t set up this configuration before but I tried recreating this using the editor on my laptop. (I don’t have the mixer in front of me so this an offline experiment.) I assigned Bus 9 & 10 to aux out to 1 & 2 in the Routing page then returned to the mixer over view page. I selected Bus 9 then the channel over view and it has automatically assigned the Bus (9&10) to the main stereo out. Which would explain your issue. If you deselect the left and right stereo out you should be good to go. I hope this helps and I guessed correctly. Let me know.

Have you tried post fader ? . you should be able to adjust volumes so it does not affect main outs or other aux outs and put exactly in the inears what you want to hear with out affecting FOH mix . I run all my aux outs post so I can adjust stage monitors without affecting the FOH volumes or mix unless I want to . I don't use an X32 but have both a QSC touchmix 16 and a Soundcraft Ui 24 R . It does not have analog outs . just xlr aux outs and two TRS aux outs , presumably for inears . I just find that adjusting stage mix and volume levels easier having all aux out set to post . or maybe I don't understand your issue? Does the X32 have a patching function ? My QSC does not but the Soundcraft does and possibly the channels that are patched that way ? Just throwing it out there blindly as I do not have an X32 so am not up on their operating procedures .

Have you tried post fader ? . you should be able to adjust volumes so it does not affect main outs or other aux outs and put exactly in the inears what you want to hear with out affecting FOH mix . I run all my aux outs post so I can adjust stage monitors without affecting the FOH volumes or mix unless I want to . I don't use an X32 but have both a QSC touchmix 16 and a Soundcraft Ui 24 R . It does not have analog outs . just xlr aux outs and two TRS aux outs , presumably for inears . I just find that adjusting stage mix and volume levels easier having all aux out set to post . or maybe I don't understand your issue? Does the X32 have a patching function ? My QSC does not but the Soundcraft does and possibly the channels that are patched that way ? Just throwing it out there blindly as I do not have an X32 so am not up on their operating procedures .
POST is post EQ and fader, which means that any moves on the fader or EQ will affect the FOH mix and IEM mix. A PRE send will affect NOTHING else and will not be affected by any other mix or send.

Last edited: