Behringer X32 - things to check when you get it

Nick Davis

Junior
May 22, 2012
I have yet to receive my x32 – hopefully next week.

From the spec and what others have said I think it will be a great product - and am looking forward to getting it.

However, I am aware that with all production lines there can always be faults with some units ( e.g when you buy a new car one would usually do a pre-delivery inspection). Therefore, I thought it may be useful to start a separate thread where people can list any faults they have found and the actions they took e.g contacted care centre (plus response they got) or returned for replacement.

From memory of posts to date - (so may have missed some) I will start - please correct or add to details – there are not many as I recall

NOTE: the thread is not intended as a discussion of potential faults – if a query about a potential fault (i.e maybe just not doing the correct procedure/ not a function available etc) please discuss on the main X32 thread first to determine if a fault - Hopefully this thread will just help people test out the x32 when they receive it and know what actions to take.

Also not meant to be all you check!

1. With no input and gain turned to max – potential noise on Channels 16 and or 32 – due to cable incorrectly aligned - action: contact care centre
  2. Scribble strip LCD’s - some not readable with contrast/brightness settings – action: solution unknown.
  3. Buttons sticking (example was EQ next to display) - action: presume contact care centre / return
  4. Button not functioning – needing replacing – e.g Mute button / assingable function button - action: contact care centre / return
  5. “Chattering” faders when paired - action: contact care centre / return
  6. No output from outputs 9-16 ( unconfirmed) - action: contact care centre / return
  7. Calibration of faders legends V meters ( not sure if this is a fault or an acceptable derivation !!) - action: ?????

(PS - If Behringer support have a list of faults they are currently correcting re a firmware release - or would advise that certain potential faults require contacting the care centre e.g. the miss-aligned cables re the noise on channels 16/32 - I wonder if they could post them to help people?)

Last edited:
Re: Behringer X32 - USB " popping/ crackling" noise at end of track playback

Popping sound from USB input when a playback stops at the end - presume will be rectified in future firmware release

Reports:
"
Originally Posted by Jens Krämer
And another thing, that I just mentioned is, that the USB Player makes a popping sound, when a playback track stops at it's end.

and

I have the same problem.

I extracted an album from a CD, and then up-sampled to 48k. The files are now 48k, 16-bit wav's.

Playing back from a USB thumb-drive, at the end of the track, there's crackling noise. Almost like an "intermittent mic cable" type sound.

The track plays ok on the computer.

This was with v1.08 of the firmware.

Eric H. "

Does the popping sound occur during all playback or only material not recorded by the mixer? For example, if I record a live sample onto the USB drive, does it still pop on playback?

Does the popping show up in a recording?

Jared

Does the popping sound occur during all playback or only material not recorded by the mixer? For example, if I record a live sample onto the USB drive, does it still pop on playback?

Does the popping show up in a recording?

Jared

Hmm, just tried playing back with 44.1k and 48k sample rates, both converted on my PC from mp3 by Audacity on a Linux platform, and both are totally clean (FW 1.08). I wonder what I am doing that is different from all those who are seeing this issue?

Re: Behringer X32 - things to check when you get it

Well, just got mine in, unpacked it, checked for any physical damage, plugged it in and turned it on.
NOTHING
even after 5 minutes, NOTHING

The only thing that lights up is the background lighting of the buttons around the LCD display.

guess it's going back.

Waaaaaah!!!

Dear Dieter,

I am sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with your X32, I will PM you and we can resolve the issue ASAP.

Kind Regards
Jim Knowles
CARE EMEA / Tech Support
Music Group / BEHRINGER

Well, just got mine in, unpacked it, checked for any physical damage, plugged it in and turned it on.
NOTHING
even after 5 minutes, NOTHING

The only thing that lights up is the background lighting of the buttons around the LCD display.

guess it's going back.

Waaaaaah!!!

These checklists wouldnt be nessesary if Behringer would have been done its job in the factory. Working MY checklist while changing to the THIRD x32 at the dealer took me less than 10 minutes. If I had a preconfigured scene all the Led check will take less than one minute.

Go Behringer folks and enhance your quality management and you wont hear any of these DOA messages from the purchasers.

Henry

These checklists wouldnt be nessesary if Behringer would have been done its job in the factory. Working MY checklist while changing to the THIRD x32 at the dealer took me less than 10 minutes. If I had a preconfigured scene all the Led check will take less than one minute.

Go Behringer folks and enhance your quality management and you wont hear any of these DOA messages from the purchasers.

Henry

then you would pay twice as much for the console to pay someone to check them.

Henry

You can only check for so much before the mixer leaves the factory. The cost of a complete shakedown including transport simulation is probably very significant, and where do you stop? Do you simulate 1000 miles of dirt road on the back of a unsprung truck, and what about a 70G pallet drop? Do you add a bluetooth G-logger to be scanned by the distributor and dealer before shipping to customer? How do you safeguard against transport damage on the last leg to the customer? Even weapons control systems costing a fair bit more than an arm and a leg sometimes need maintainance after being moved to a new site, so what chance does a consumer spec item have?

There is not really much to check, except for physical damage before turning the thing on.

The unit I received simply did not power up. Nothing else to check there.

Shipping it back this morning and hoping to get a functioning unit back ASAP.

... Dieter ...

then you would pay twice as much for the console to pay someone to check them.

Sorry Jordan, I think youre mistaken. When I wanna make money building up things I HAVE to check if they work before I give it to the custumor. In my cases Behringer did NOT check the items in the factory in any way and that is what I blame them for.

Maybe thats why people like "made in germany" items. In most cases you get perfect work. Well, one can say Behringer tells the units are German engeneering, but they build it in china. So checking the desks, modules, whatever before leaving the factory for a quarter of an hour would raise the price by .... ONE DOLLAR.

Even if you pay only a small amount for anything comparable to other new items you wont accept they are defective. A watch for 10$ shold show the right time - not only twice a day ;)

However, I did readmsome posts like "one of the led dont work, but I am fine with the desk". Folks, you can demand a fully working gear, and I guess not only over here in Europe.

In my case the issues were resolved, I changed the x32 twice til I finally got a working one, only one extra try to get a fully working s16. 5 items, 3 fails.

Henry

Sorry Jordan, I think youre mistaken. When I wanna make money building up things I HAVE to check if they work before I give it to the custumor. In my cases Behringer did NOT check the items in the factory in any way and that is what I blame them for.

Maybe thats why people like "made in germany" items. In most cases you get perfect work. Well, one can say Behringer tells the units are German engeneering, but they build it in china. So checking the desks, modules, whatever before leaving the factory for a quarter of an hour would raise the price by .... ONE DOLLAR.

Even if you pay only a small amount for anything comparable to other new items you wont accept they are defective. A watch for 10$ shold show the right time - not only twice a day ;)

However, I did readmsome posts like "one of the led dont work, but I am fine with the desk". Folks, you can demand a fully working gear, and I guess not only over here in Europe.

In my case the issues were resolved, I changed the x32 twice til I finally got a working one, only one extra try to get a fully working s16. 5 items, 3 fails.

Henry

W. Edwards Deming.

I think Uli is fairly familiar with Deming and his concepts and that the goings on inside Behringer City (Ulipolis?) sees a lot of TQM, Quality Wheel, Kaizen and the like. However, in any organisation, there are aspects of quality improvement and control you can't teach quickly. While it is failrly easy to performed standard checks to look for a predefined set of faults, and weed out those, longer and broader experience is needed to pick up the faults and marginals that one is not looking specificly for. Some things can obviously be done automatically, like having a video camera and a computer check all the lights las vegas style, but even a cursory 15 min check times 20000 is 36 months of labour, and assuming we're not willing to wait, you need 20 well trained and alert operatives to make the checks. Hopefully Behringer will get there, if for no other reason that increased feedback from the users and the service senters will enable more tweaking of the quality issues that what might have been the case in the past.

I think Uli is fairly familiar with Deming and his concepts and that the goings on inside Behringer City (Ulipolis?) sees a lot of TQM, Quality Wheel, Kaizen and the like. However, in any organisation, there are aspects of quality improvement and control you can't teach quickly. While it is failrly easy to performed standard checks to look for a predefined set of faults, and weed out those, longer and broader experience is needed to pick up the faults and marginals that one is not looking specificly for. Some things can obviously be done automatically, like having a video camera and a computer check all the lights las vegas style, but even a cursory 15 min check times 20000 is 36 months of labour, and assuming we're not willing to wait, you need 20 well trained and alert operatives to make the checks. Hopefully Behringer will get there, if for no other reason that increased feedback from the users and the service senters will enable more tweaking of the quality issues that what might have been the case in the past.

Dear Per,

I can confirm that quality and continuous improvement is the basis for everything that we do. As the VP, Care for MUSIC Group, my team and I are constantly looking at data and providing information back into our RnD, Quality and Manufacturing teams through the Kaizen process. In fact, through the investments that we have made in our manufacturing process and a proactive approach to issue resolution, we have been able to improve the overall quality and reliability of our products. As a direct result, MUSIC Group has been able to extend our warranty from one year in the US and Canada (2 years in Europe) to three years by simply registering the product online within 90-days of purchase.

Pat Ferdig
VP, Care
MUSIC Group

The "woosh" sound you might have heard was the Deming reference going over the collective forum head... (not in a bad way, mind you).

Even using Deming (and other statistically based QC models), things slip through although at a much lower rate... but knowing how many and the nature of the defects allows for statistical investigation of the failing processes and their correction.

(History lesson for those who don't know about Deming) The American automobile industry (along with many other manufacturing industries) ignored Deming. He took his methods to post-war Japan (working for the US Army, initially) and eventually trained a generation of engineers and managers in QC applications of statistical analysis. From automobiles to electronics, Deming's methods helped Japanese industries become more profitable. Japan thanked Dr Deming by awarding him the Order of the Sacred Treasure. Dr Deming was also an amateur musician :)

The only thing I enjoy more than learning about product design on sound forums, is learning about manufacturing process control.

There is no doubt that Deming got more respect in Japan than stateside, I wouldn't say that he was completely ignored by competent US manufacturers. While manufacturing dynamics have evolved over the decades with the always ramping labor costs. Building stuff correctly the first time is demonstrably cheaper.

There are many popular buzzwords associated with quality assurance strategies, mostly used in marketing. The Japanese made a big deal about process, after they got religion about it several decades ago.

One elephant in the room for gear assembled half way around the world is that the gear gets shipped over great distances, often receiving some hard drops while still in the container, and dropped again later when distributed locally, mail order/internet buyers get it shipped yet one more time. There are multiple opportunities for stuff to happen. Modern packaging technology has reduced these incidental failures to a low rumble, but stuff still shifts or breaks, or comes loose when beat hard and repeatedly.

JR

PS: I just experienced a built-in microphone inside my drum tuner that broke during the shipment just going across the continental US, handled with care by our loving, soft-handed Postal workers. :)

PS: I just experienced a built-in microphone inside my drum tuner that broke during the shipment just going across the continental US, handled with care by our loving, soft-handed Postal workers. :)

Glad you enjoy our little discussions, John. If it had been aimed at you I'd expect your reply.

I've had better luck with stuff shipped via USPS than UPS in the last couple of years. FedEx? A few years ago they couldn't deliver a package without significant damage, now things arrive intact. It's a crap shoot.