Beyer Opus 88

Jeff Babcock

Senior
Jan 11, 2011
Ontario, Canada
jeffbabcock.org
View attachment 61The Beyerdynamic Opus 88 has become my favorite mic for use on toms. It also works very well on snare.

For those not familiar, the Opus 88 is a small condenser mic (phantom required) with an integrated clip system.

I currently own 5 of these mics. I have never run into any occasions where the integrated clips would not accommodate a drum. I once encountered a set with wood hoops, and it was a stretch, but they still mounted. The flexible ''gooseneck'' style extension is also invaluable.

They so far seem to be very rugged. Mine have been hit many times and even soaked by rain and they keep on going.

Sonically, I strongly prefer them over pretty much everything else I have used, which includes all of the major Shure, Sennheiser, and Audix suspects. Keep in mind this is my subjective opinion. I find that they sound clean, accurate, and require minimal eq.

At one time there was a link to a ''drum mic shootout'' which had many mics compared on various drums. Opus 88 was included and was my favorite in this test. It performed well in terms of tone but also in terms of off-axis rejection. I was surprised by how poorly some other mic manufacturer's products tested in this regard.

The Opus 88 can easily be found for under $200USD. It is certainly worth your consideration for drum applications.

Re: Beyer Opus 88

Hi Jeff,

Good to hear the mount expands enough for wood rims. Will it clamp down small enough for some of the rather thin rim mounts such as Tama Rockstar series?

Thanks,

Al

Re: Beyer Opus 88

Yes Al, it should be fine. When fully returned to original state, there is very little space between the clip. I've not run into any problems thus far with a wide range of kits. The wood hoop one was the first time I was worried, but it still made it.