Cable guard storage.

Jimmy Hardin

Junior
Jan 29, 2013
Hello ya'll I am in the process of getting these cable guards but i am looking for some ideas on how to store them in my trailer where they will all be in one thing. They will be heavy so i need something sturdy. I am planning on having 60 feet of them.
Do any of ya'll use them? If so what do you use to store them?. and if you dont use them what kind of idea can you think of for these?

Attachments

• Cable guard.jpg
    Cable guard.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 4
We stack ten cable ramps to a wheel dolly and use a ratchet strap to bind them into a pack. This worked for years but was not a standard truck pack dimension and didn't play well with load bars or truck ratchet straps without a lot of fiddling. Before the plague I was looking at having steel carts welded of 3/4" square tubing to 22.5 x 30 dimensions so that the ramps could be stood on end and the dolly would also be standard size and be load bar friendly.

I've seen the dolly approach, the cable trunk (or hamper) approach, the dedicated cart approach, and the "there's only a few, just toss 'em on top" approach. There's pros and cons to each, with the nicer methods generally being more expensive and more amenable to larger quantities of cable ramps. For usage in a trailer, I'm guessing truck-pack dimensions aren't as critical, but weight and weight distribution might be. So I'd probably go with the dolly+ratchet strap approach, with the caveat that you want dollies with good wheels (likely better than normally come on the dollies) given the weight and where cable ramps normally get used.