CNC wood shop in the Mid Atlantic for a small flat pack cutting project?

Riley Casey

Sophomore
Jan 12, 2011
WDC in the USA
www.espsound.com
Can anyone recommend a place to get some 18mm Baltic birch cut to spec? B&C has just published a box design for the two 14" coax's I've had sitting on the shelf thru Covid times and my woodworking tools beyond a chop saw are in storage. Ideally someone within a three hour drive of DC. On a related note, can a US based shop be expected to work on metric designs or should I count on reworking them as Imperial measurements? I have to work up dimensions changes for dadoes anyway.

Yes! Maryland CNC in Jessup. https://www.marylandcnc.com

I contacted them for a project a couple years ago, but never ended up pursuing the project. However, I know they can do speaker cabinets. They can do just the cutouts, or they will do full assembly as well - example here:
52567670_984715711717371_2581774682088800256_n.jpg

When I spoke with the owner, he mentioned that he's flexible - he can source/supply the correct material or you could bring your own. I think at the time, picking up from Chesapeake Plywood was a slightly lower cost, but that may have changed.

Yes! Maryland CNC in Jessup. https://www.marylandcnc.com

I contacted them for a project a couple years ago, but never ended up pursuing the project. However, I know they can do speaker cabinets. They can do just the cutouts, or they will do full assembly as well - example here:
52567670_984715711717371_2581774682088800256_n.jpg

When I spoke with the owner, he mentioned that he's flexible - he can source/supply the correct material or you could bring your own. I think at the time, picking up from Chesapeake Plywood was a slightly lower cost, but that may have changed.

Thanks Brian. I’m in CT and looking for someone within a reasonable drive for some projects. I’m for sure going to call.

Did he do that double 18 cab?

Good find.

Sent from my iPhone

Can anyone recommend a place to get some 18mm Baltic birch cut to spec? B&C has just published a box design for the two 14" coax's I've had sitting on the shelf thru Covid times and my woodworking tools beyond a chop saw are in storage. Ideally someone within a three hour drive of DC. On a related note, can a US based shop be expected to work on metric designs or should I count on reworking them as Imperial measurements? I have to work up dimensions changes for dadoes anyway.

Riley if you’re interested in building some PM-60/90s I’d be open to split the initial setup costs with you (or anyone else interested)

Sent from my iPhone

Actually Chris I simply want to get these two 14" coaxs into boxes finally. Jessup is less than an hour from here so I'll be checking them out, thanks Brian. I'll probably be looking for pointers for creating CNC ready files. I use Vectorworks and I don't know that its AutoCad export can be relied on to get a file ready to provide error free instructions to a machine for cutting up a 5x5 of baltic birch.

@Chris Burns - Yes, they did the cut/assembly for those cabinets for another local sound co.

@Riley Casey - Sure thing. Call them up - when I chatted with him I needed to know what the bit kerf was for space between parts so I could lay out my cuts. He was more than helpful giving info about how to prep files, and letting me know about what to expect for what I was looking for. IIRC, the 3/4" (ok, 18mm) Baltic Birch would take a little more time on the table so as to not burn through bits, and the cost is basically based on "table time". It's been long enough that I don't recall what the charges were, but I don't recall being surprised so I think it's a pretty reasonable shop.