Controlling sound and light with one iPad

Jul 30, 2012
Tampere Finland
Hello from Finland

I´ve been trying to find a way to control both sound and light with single iPad - since I work alone.

Sound is done with Behringer X32 Rack, that has Apple Airport Extreme connected to it.

I do know, that there are some light control systems, that can connect wireless with iPad, but they make a closed network with no chance to expand it to X32
Carrying two iPads is not desirable option - where do I stash the second, while I only have two hands...

I would use presets for lights and only quickly change scene between songs by sweeping sideways on my iPad between X32 and light-control.

So I could possibly use Ethernet-to-DMX controller connected into Airport Express or a WiFi receiver-to-DMX sharing existing network. One DMX universe with 100 channels would be plenty.

Thanks for reading.

Re: Controlling sound and light with one iPad

I use an iPad for my mixer (StudioLive) and also with my light rig using DMXIS. Doing it all from 1 iPad is possible. It's a bit clunky, using 2 iPad minis would be better...

I use Luninaire on the iPad, and it works wonderfully. Yes, you can have both running on the iPad, but switching back and forth is somewhat cumbersome, as it takes precious seconds to reconnect. If you've got to make a quick change, better be in the right app!

Hello

I apologize for not being specific at first.

Yes - I do realize, that I could use only one iPad by going via going to SETTINGS and WIFI and selecting another network , then do the light thing and back again, NO NO NO !!!

So does anyone have elegant solution, where both sound and light share the same network ???

Sweeping between two apps is a breeze - light switchover would be done in about two or three seconds between songs - that would be fine with me.

I was looking for DMXIS at Apple App store - no results. Looking into Enttec web page - looks it is controllable only with PC or Mac - am I missing something.

Thanks

Last edited:

Hello

I apologize for not being specific at first.

Yes - I do realize, that I could use only one iPad by going via going to SETTINGS and WIFI and selecting another network , then do the light thing and back again, NO NO NO !!!

So does anyone have elegant solution, where both sound and light share the same network ???

Sweeping between two apps is a breeze - light switchover would be done in about two or three seconds between songs - that would be fine with me.

I was looking for DMXIS at Apple App store - no results. Looking into Enttec web page - looks it is controllable only with PC or Mac - am I missing something.

Thanks

You have to set up iPad functionality manually. First you create your interface with touchOSC then you have to get it to work with DMXIS. It's not too bad I can probably get you up and going in an afternoon. I often use 2 iPads, sharing the same network with any router, I have an apple AirPort Extreme.

Hello

Advices keep rolling - wow - this forum is great. Thanks guys !!!

More details of my setup ( should have been there first...) I have X32R - old IBM.thinkpad Windows XP for backup with X32-Edit - Apple Airport Extreme

Now I never ever used MIDI so I am asking "stupid" question - since I have extra channels in X32 ( no stagebox ) - would it be possible to have a fader - like ch 16 or ch32 - to be assigned to control MIDI in a way, that moving it up and down scrolls through my presets in lightsystem - perhaps find a small USB-DMX-converter. I understand, that I can use X32R USB card out for sending MIDI to laptop.

With this kind of setup there would be no need to jump between apps in iPad - simply slide the fader while mixing sound - with decent organizing "lightfader" could be on same page with vocals or on one DCA so lights could be controlled more conveniently.

So far the rack is only 4U - 1U UPS + 3U X32R - Thinkpad lays on top of rack - hopefully USB-DMX-box is small ...

Nuuska

Hello

Advices keep rolling - wow - this forum is great. Thanks guys !!!

More details of my setup ( should have been there first...) I have X32R - old IBM.thinkpad Windows XP for backup with X32-Edit - Apple Airport Extreme

Now I never ever used MIDI so I am asking "stupid" question - since I have extra channels in X32 ( no stagebox ) - would it be possible to have a fader - like ch 16 or ch32 - to be assigned to control MIDI in a way, that moving it up and down scrolls through my presets in lightsystem - perhaps find a small USB-DMX-converter. I understand, that I can use X32R USB card out for sending MIDI to laptop.

With this kind of setup there would be no need to jump between apps in iPad - simply slide the fader while mixing sound - with decent organizing "lightfader" could be on same page with vocals or on one DCA so lights could be controlled more conveniently.

So far the rack is only 4U - 1U UPS + 3U X32R - Thinkpad lays on top of rack - hopefully USB-DMX-box is small ...

Nuuska

I don't own an ipad. Does the app show the 8 user define buttons? I know that these can be configured to fire midi cues. It could be set up to be "Go", "Back", "Blackout", and "Chase" or something like that. You could step through pre-programmed scenes with ease.

Alternate plan...............
iPad for the audio
mixer, iPhone to run the lights.

That works too.

DMXIS. TouchOSC iPhone.

Here's the interface I created in TouchOSC

16DACA25-8BA1-437C-AE12-EE3093121C67.jpg