Correct Cable For Temporary Use?

Kip Conner

Junior
Mar 13, 2011
Athens, GA
I've heard several things and the code reads like, well like code.

I'm not talking the gauge of the wire, but the jacketing for 15 & 20 amp circuits for back line or FOH pulls.

Re: Correct Cable For Temporary Use?

I've heard several things and the code reads like, well like code.

I'm not talking the gauge of the wire, but the jacketing for 15 & 20 amp circuits for back line or FOH pulls.
The correct cable for portable use in a theatrical/concert situation is SOOW or equivalent extra-hard service cable. The SJ variants are NOT acceptable per the NEC, but are sometimes allowed, depending on your particular inspector.

Thanks TJ-

I never have anyone show up to inspect, but I just want to all my cabling up to code in the event that I'm ever inspected- plus code is in place for a reason!

The correct cable for portable use in a theatrical/concert situation is SOOW or equivalent extra-hard service cable. The SJ variants are NOT acceptable per the NEC, but are sometimes allowed, depending on your particular inspector.

Pretty much, although the OOW part isn't stricty needed for indoor applications.

If you walk into an electrical supply house, they know this stuff as "SO cord"

I do a fair number of shows on government property which you would think would make it really imperative that I get the right cable... but you should see some of the things that they pass off down here as power. I have the correct gauge for my applications- just want to convert to the proper jacketing.

I do a fair number of shows on government property which you would think would make it really imperative that I get the right cable... but you should see some of the things that they pass off down here as power. I have the correct gauge for my applications- just want to convert to the proper jacketing.

Historically I've purchased from Coleman:
Coleman Cable SOOW

Camel Traders also sells 12/3 SO:
Camel Traders 12/3 SO

You can get 12/3 SO at HD. Around the same price without the shipping charge. If it's not in stock, they'll order it for you. IIRC I even bought a roll of 10/3 SO there. Brand name wire as well..Carol

HD charges about double the going wholesale rate. I'd avoid buying the wire at straight retail unless you're rich...

Carol is my favorite cord, but HD stopped carrying it and switched to Southwire.

HD charges about double the going wholesale rate. I'd avoid buying the wire at straight retail unless you're rich...

Carol is my favorite cord, but HD stopped carrying it and switched to Southwire.

Actually the HD price is competitive if you make them look up the price on a whole roll. It is a different skew number than by the foot which is killer. The different price is in the computer but was never posted. The by thefoot price is killer.

Anyways I haven't bought any there since they dropped the carol.

I have sold them all....The differences between the Carol & Southwire/Royal cable is minimal, with the last batch we had delivered the Royal jacket covering was actually a little thicker and more flexible then the Carol we have in stock.

The biggest difference comes when you compare a real SOOW cable to the *economy* SEOW cable that Coleman Cable sells.....now that stuff is a PIA to work with, there real SOOW cable is just as good as anyone else on the market.

E doesn't mean economy; it is a thermoplastic elastomer type of conductor insulation; aka different type of “rubber” found in the “S” cable. Thermoplastic Elastomer is much lighter in weight and offers excellent low temperature resistance.

However, Thermoset (“S”) is a much more durable compound than Thermoplastic and has a higher temperature rating (aka: flame retardant).

Breaking down the cable codes:
SOOW is: Extra hard Service, Oil resistant jacket, Oil resistant insulation, Weather resistant (has a Thermoset jacket and insulation)

SEOW is: Extra hard Service, Oil resistant jacket, Weather resistant, with a Thermoplastic Elastomer jacket and insulation

Actually the HD price is competitive if you make them look up the price on a whole roll. It is a different skew number than by the foot which is killer. The different price is in the computer but was never posted. The by thefoot price is killer.

Anyways I haven't bought any there since they dropped the carol.

By the roll it's around the same price as Cameltraders and no shipping. Them not carrying Carol might be a regional thing, as I saw it last time I was in mine..

E doesn't mean economy; it is a thermoplastic elastomer type of conductor insulation; aka different type of “rubber” found in the “S” cable. Thermoplastic Elastomer is much lighter in weight and offers excellent low temperature resistance.

However, Thermoset (“S”) is a much more durable compound than Thermoplastic and has a higher temperature rating (aka: flame retardant).

SOOW is: Extra hard Service, Oil resistant jacket, Oil resistant insulation, Weather resistant (has a Thermoset jacket and insulation)

SEOW is: Extra hard Service, Oil resistant jacket, Weather resistant, with a Thermoplastic Elastomer jacket and insulation

I was under the impression that type S is rubber, type SE is Elastomer, and type ST is Thermoset. But I don't have my reference handy to verify.

So E or T don't specifically stand for economy, but the cable in either case is cheaper and harder to work with than the 'real deal' SOOW

All you have to do is check the pricing and you will see that *E* is the economy cable.
And in my sales world as a electrical distributor it is known as the economy cable, might not be the technical name, but it is....
The outer jacket is also thinner and it coils like crap, I have sold enough of it to know.
And yes, it's a PIA to work with.

We use SJOOW quite a bit for lighting trusses and other stage use. Stage power is all SOOW. I have never had an inspector look at the type of cable or guage. They mainly look for frayed wires, strain relief of cable, open cables and so on
Believe me I understand not using SJOOW in certain situations but I also know it is used a lot by all sorts of production companies all over the US. The code says it can't be used in certain situations which leaves it open to be used in other situations.
The issue I see more is using the wrong gauge of cable or distro's that are made wrong. I think a thinner jacket is one of our least things to worry about in most cases
Be safe out there

db