Crest protect light weirdness

Josh Ricci

Freshman
Apr 27, 2012
Lately one of my 8002's powers up as normal but the protect or clip light on ch 2 stays on after power up. Meanwhile it is still providing power and sounds just fine. I checked all of the usual suspects. Speaker cable wiring and connections, tried it connected to different cabs, etc. Protect light on Ch 2 stays illuminated even with no load connected at all. I also checked the power cord to make sure nothing was shorted or loosely connected there and I have tried the amp on 3 completely different ac circuits. I also connected a dmm to the output of that channel and I didn't detect any dc of note. There was a very tiny amount there if I remember right it was something like 0.007v and it measured the same between ch 1 and ch 2. Normally I would just pack the bastard up and send it in to be repaired but it seems to be functioning just fine other than the protect light being on ch2. Ch2 still has as much swing as ch1 judging from some basic tests on a couple of big subs. It doesn't seem to be prematurely limited on power output.

Any of you amp gurus around here have any ideas as to what could be causing this or anything else I should check? I'm hesitant to pay a couple of hundred bucks to have it repaired if it is just a faulty light switch or something as the amp seems to operate fine otherwise. Thanks.