CSW Black Box

Thomas Petrusky

Freshman
Mar 15, 2012
After buying a set of these boxes last week I just tested a few quick tracks with them and they are amazingly tight and clean. I know a few people who have been wanting to hear them in real life and figured I would invite any one else who wanted to join in that was in driving distance. Please feel free to msg me if your interested, I plan to do some measuring and welcome others to bring anything they would want to compare them to. Planning on in the next week arranging for some time in a local hanger to do this, so we can have plenty of space but not have to worry about the weather. Zip code is 17824 as to where we are going to be.

Re: CSW Black Box

Seems like a very simple tuning, this is what I dialed into the amp before testing and they sounded great, I am interested to see what it looks like with smaart. Did you do much else to them?

LR 24 20Hz

LR 24 90Hz

Eq 50Hz +4dB

CSW Black Box

LR 24 20Hz

LR 24 90Hz

Eq 50Hz +4dB

OK, so basically the same as I saw before, albeit a gentler slope on the HPF/LPF. I did do something different but I was paid for that work so it's someone else's property. I got a result I was pretty happy with, but my preset included limiters, etc., which lets me pull a few more tricks.

EDIT: Never mind, looking at their website it seems their spec is the same as it was when I was last handed it.
http://cswpro.squarespace.com/specifications-of-the-black-bo/ said:
Recommended Crossover points: 20Hz 48dB LW HP 90Hz 48dB

Good to hear there is always more tweaking possible with DSP, I know I cant leave anything alone. Everything we find with this tuning/listening session will be put out as public info to help others get the biggest boom for their buck... Pun intended.

Hmm. A dual 18" box that only weighs 105 lbs? I'm very curious about the hypercardioid claims. Is there a white paper explaining how it works?

Hmm. A dual 18" box that only weighs 105 lbs? I'm very curious about the hypercardioid claims. Is there a white paper explaining how it works?
It's only -12db at the rear, not unusual for a 2x18 at its upper frequency crossover point. Their claim of their homemade 18's with 3" voice coils being rated at 1500wrms each and good down to 15Hz is more than a bit suspect IMO. Specifications of the Black Box - Canadian Speaker Works Pro

When I initially saw the box and the graphs I had to wonder if they made some near field measurement errors and mistakenly thought they had something special. The dip in the white trace looks like it could maybe be the expected 1/2 wave notch you would get @ 90 degrees on a 2 driver box? Other than that, I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at. And here's my quick math on box weight. 2.625lb/sq.ft. for 18mm baltic birch ply. The shell, not including the baffle or bracing would be about 32 sq. ft. of material so a weight of almost 90 lbs. That leaves about 15 lbs for 2 beefy pro quality 18" woofers... and the grill and the front baffle… and bracing etc. Maybe the 105lbs is for the empty "Black Box"? Or, perhaps they use some helium chambers?

When I initially saw the box and the graphs I had to wonder if they made some near field measurement errors and mistakenly thought they had something special. The dip in the white trace looks like it could maybe be the expected 1/2 wave notch you would get @ 90 degrees on a 2 driver box? Other than that, I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at. And here's my quick math on box weight. 2.625lb/sq.ft. for 18mm baltic birch ply. The shell, not including the baffle or bracing would be about 32 sq. ft. of material so a weight of almost 90 lbs. That leaves about 15 lbs for 2 beefy pro quality 18" woofers... and the grill and the front baffle… and bracing etc. Maybe the 105lbs is for the empty "Black Box"? Or, perhaps they use some helium chambers?
Now you're trying to make sense out of something built with hemp spiders - maybe they just seem lighter after you smoke a few of them hemp leaves ;)~;-)~:wink: :
CSWPRO Driver 18 - A - Canadian Speaker Works Pro
"All moving parts are "treated" and all glue joints are carefully buffered." WTF does that mean?

Now you're trying to make sense out of something built with hemp spiders - maybe they just seem lighter after you smoke a few of them hemp leaves ;)~;-)~:wink: :

I somehow missed the hemp spider spec. :)

"All moving parts are "treated" and all glue joints are carefully buffered." WTF does that mean?

Yeah, I got a chuckle out of that line too.

That said, I have to be impressed by a small outfit that builds their own round acoustic transducers. That takes some guts I think.

That said, I have to be impressed by a small outfit that builds their own round acoustic transducers. That takes some guts I think.
Or some major stoopid. I can't imagine that they couldn't have found a suitable driver for less from B&C, 18Sound, PD or RDF. And I'm gonna take some major convincing that a 3" voice coil can push out mobetter low end than an industry standard 4" (or larger). OTOH that gotta be some good hemp - did you catch the "Buy Home Grown" "100% Canadian Made" label here? :
LOL

And here's my quick math on box weight. 2.625lb/sq.ft. for 18mm baltic birch ply. The shell, not including the baffle or bracing would be about 32 sq. ft. of material so a weight of almost 90 lbs. That leaves about 15 lbs for 2 beefy pro quality 18" woofers... and the grill and the front baffle… and bracing etc. Maybe the 105lbs is for the empty "Black Box"? Or, perhaps they use some helium chambers?
It says the drivers are 32lbs each so that is 64lbs for drivers. That leaves 41 lbs for the cabinet. Maybe it is made of carbon fiber.

Or else there is a misprint in the spec sheet-it happens all the time ;(

It says the drivers are 32lbs each so that is 64lbs for drivers. That leaves 41 lbs for the cabinet. Maybe it is made of carbon fiber.

The spec on the website says 105kg. That would be 231lbs.

Mac

As an underemployed EE/CS and sometime tech writer/proofreader it really frosts my arse to see all the crappy spec sheets and documentation out there in the audio world. Pretty poor show to not spend a few bucks more to have your shite proofread by someone who can actually spot potential technical errors :?~:-?~:???: . But in this particular case it smells more like BS than unintentional errors :roll: .

As an underemployed EE/CS and sometime tech writer/proofreader it really frosts my arse to see all the crappy spec sheets and documentation out there in the audio world. Pretty poor show to not spend a few bucks more to have your shite proofread by someone who can actually spot potential technical errors....

The CSW site could benefit from some basic spelling and grammatical proofreading, as well: "Hyper Cordiod" "...Dealer In You Area!!!" are on the Black Box first page.

The spec on the website says 105kg. That would be 231lbs.

Mac

Thank You Mac,

I'm not sure if the website just got changed or if I really was reading it wrong the whole time. But now we've got that one figured out. Next up is the hypercardioid thing.

edit- I think the lbs was just changed to kg on the website today since the green lines are conveniently "whited out" in that area. Does this mean that we've got the ear of someone at Canadian Speaker Works? Hi Guys. Hope you don't mind us going over your product copy with a fine tooth comb.

Last edited:

I'm not sure if the website just got changed or if I really was reading it wrong the whole time. But now we've got that one figured out. Next up is the hypercardioid thing.
They must spell cardioid different up in Canada, eh? (cordioid) :
The Black Box - Canadian Speaker Works Pro
And you'll blow them up if you underpower them with any lesser amp than a Labgruppen 10,000 Q - no crap iTech 9000HD's allowed :roll:.
Smells like DJs turned speaker designers to me - they ought to lay off them hemp spiders for sure :D~:-D~:grin:.

The Black Box - Canadian Speaker Works Pro
And you'll blow them up if you underpower them with any lesser amp than a Labgruppen 10,000 Q - no crap iTech 9000HD's allowed :roll:.
Smells like DJs turned speaker designers to me - they ought to lay off them hemp spiders for sure :D~:-D~:grin:.

I've smoked a few speakers in my youth, but it was tough keeping them lit... If you think that was tough, try smoking a salmon! And I thought hemp spiders were arachnids that were found on hemp plants. Man, I've got some catching up to do. /satire

Hey, go easy on us Canadians Ron! :lol:

While I agree re some of the questionable claims, and am not usually a fan of such steep HPF/LPF recommendations, I have heard positive comments about these cabs (second-hand though). Given that Bennett also said he got a result that he was "pretty happy with" (and I tend to trust his judgement), I'm expecting that these cabs don't suck. Whether or not they do everything they claim is another story. Personally I am not a fan of the grill at all, but that is besides the point.

Cheers