CSW Black Box

Re: CSW Black Box

They must spell cardioid different up in Canada, eh? (cordioid) :
The Black Box - Canadian Speaker Works Pro
And you'll blow them up if you underpower them with any lesser amp than a Labgruppen 10,000 Q - no crap iTech 9000HD's allowed :roll:.
Smells like DJs turned speaker designers to me - they ought to lay off them hemp spiders for sure :D~:-D~:grin:.

FP10000Q would be the crappiest amp for sub duty ever made. So they recommend 2100W per box? What happened with 1500W per driver power handling? They recommend to under power them?

Now you're trying to make sense out of something built with hemp spiders

I am honestly very curious as to the advantages of woven hemp cloth for soft parts. We have done no research in this regard, and had to learn a lot of specialized fabric industry technology to complete the IPAL and SW series.

I've certainly heard lots of talk of the miracles of hemp. I even tried a tetrapak of Hemp Milk once but was not exactly overwhelmed with happiness. Bennett, since you've touched at least one of these boxes, what is your take on the hypercardioid feature?

I am honestly very curious as to the advantages of woven hemp cloth for soft parts. We have done no research in this regard, and had to learn a lot of specialized fabric industry technology to complete the IPAL and SW series.

One can surmise that they use hemp fiber more for the stoner association than for any inherent technical advantages it may possess, just like Eminence perhaps does for their Cannabis Rex hemp cone guitar amp speaker - a well regarded speaker, mind you.

IMAG0548Compressed.jpg

After Sundays test/tune and listening day we all noticed a few things. We noticed wonderful tight response from the box especially in the lowest of frequency on some dubstep tracks. The rear rejection if phenomenal it is almost questionable if the subs are working from the back, until you walk out in front of them, then they rattle you body keeping for a quiet stage. They played very well with our pa with making no changes to our mains, however once balancing everything out the sound is rock solid as no other subs has provided us. Thanks to all who showed up, hopefully everyone had a great time! Next time I think we need to bring a few other boxes for side by side comparisons.

The rear rejection if phenomenal it is almost questionable if the subs are working from the back, until you walk out in front of them, then they rattle you body keeping for a quiet stage.
I'll bet you a beer that it was the sub being the "magic distance" from a wall that was doing that and not them hemp spiders :roll:. Did you try a different sub placed at the exact same spot and to see if you had the exact same "rear rejection"? No, I didn't think so :?~:-?~:???: .

Of course we put them on dolly boards and set one per side and moved them in and out and with minimal changes in phase alone we were able to get consistent levels at our static listening point. Probably stopped at 4-5 different configurations, most issues with corner reverb could be fixed by changing the orientation of the cab from laying down to standing up. I only snapped a pic while setting up, once people started arriving I kinda forgot about the camera as it was more about playing with levels and what people wanted to try.

Of course we put them on dolly boards and set one per side and moved them in and out and with minimal changes in phase alone we were able to get consistent levels at our static listening point. Probably stopped at 4-5 different configurations, most issues with corner reverb could be fixed by changing the orientation of the cab from laying down to standing up. I only snapped a pic while setting up, once people started arriving I kinda forgot about the camera as it was more about playing with levels and what people wanted to try.

I find all that very hard to believe in. Changing sub position in any room will cause drastic changes at the same listening position. This is true for any given subwoofer.

I find all that very hard to believe in. Changing sub position in any room will cause drastic changes at the same listening position. This is true for any given subwoofer.

The width of the room in the picture is less than many sub wavelengths. At a high enough level, I expect reflections were smoothing out positional variances.

Well we certainly were not babying them, which could attribute to reflection changes. Once the weather cooperates I would like to go through a more thorough comparison in a larger outdoor setting. Power wise I gave the itech wide open with a limiter to stop it just before clipping of the input and the output gain at 0db. Then tried to balance all other parameters through the driverack.