Curve template?

Jay Barracato

Graduate Student
Jan 11, 2011
Solomons MD
I was looking at the Alesis site for the DEQ830 as an option for monitors in a carry rack (I typically run IEM's from FOH, and to possibly insert on a channel or
icon_cool.gif

According the the blurb, it has 50 preprogrammed templates ''to get you started''. Where other than flat would you ever start from?

While RingTFM I did not see any mention of what these presets are. Are they instrument related? Music style related? Without knowing what the source sounds like, where do you start with suggestions?

It looks like the unit would do what i need, i just found their advertising odd.

Re: Curve template?

I was looking at the Alesis site for the DEQ830 as an option for monitors in a carry rack (I typically run IEM's from FOH, and to possibly insert on a channel or
icon_cool.gif

According the the blurb, it has 50 preprogrammed templates ''to get you started''. Where other than flat would you ever start from?

While RingTFM I did not see any mention of what these presets are. Are they instrument related? Music style related? Without knowing what the source sounds like, where do you start with suggestions?

It looks like the unit would do what i need, i just found their advertising odd.

It is probably like the presets that Yamaha has. Pretty much worthless.

In the case of the Yamaha presets-there are several kick drums. Great. But what about the mic used? What about mic placement? What about the loudspeaker system used? and so forth.
icon_rolleyes.gif

If they don't tell you what they are for then good luck guessing.

icon_cool.gif

It is probably like the presets that Yamaha has. Pretty much worthless.

In the case of the Yamaha presets-there are several kick drums. Great. But what about the mic used? What about mic placement? What about the loudspeaker system used? and so forth.
icon_rolleyes.gif

If they don't tell you what they are for then good luck guessing.

I can't imagine ever wanting to use them, but it appeared that the unit has several features that would look a lot more impressive in the music store, then in actual use. When the web copy starts to sound like an ad writeup for Guitar Player magazine, I start to wonder what they are not telling us.

Well considering who owns them, Guitar Player/Center copy is appropriate.

Just bought one used and have hooked up to my 01v; excited to try it out on monitors for better feedback control. Some of the things seem useless, but the RTA at least seems to be helpful in pinpointing where problematic feedback frequencies might appear.

sent an email to Alesis customer service in RI; guessing to hear back from them in a week given NAMM.

icon_cool.gif

The presets are basically worthless, smile curves, ''phone sound'' curves, low boost, high boost, comb filter, etc.

They do offer a quick spin the knob, ''my gosh that sounds different'' experience, and show the versatility of having presets.

I have flattened those templates so I don't accidentally have that experience
icon_rolleyes.gif

A friend of mine actually found a ''phone'' preset on his keyboards, in the middle of a set, during a song, when he should have been soloing.