Dante networking - IP addresses

Frank Claes

Dec 4, 2018
Antwerpen
Hi all,

All my dante devices are in Auto IP config mode (link-local self assigning IP adresses) 169.254.x.x range. When I connect my pc wired with the network I can see the devices when the IP adress of my Ethernet port is also on auto IP. Now I'm wondering I also want to you an acces point in the network to connect wireless. Does the acces point need a static IP? In what range? I can also choose DHCP, but there is no DHCP server in the network so it won't get any IP adress I guess?

What about the IP address of my laptop's wifi ?

If you're planning on running Dante over the wireless link, you should look at the Dante FAQ. To wit:

Can Dante operate over a Wi-Fi network?

No. While possible in principle, the practical limitations of current wireless technology (802.11a/b/g/n) render reliable audio performance, with ultra-low latency unachievable. For this reason, Dante Virtual Soundcard and Dante Via will not recognize wireless connections for audio data.
However, you can use Dante Controller to control and configure the Dante network over a Wi-Fi connection. Dante Controller must be version 3.10 or higher for Wi-Fi support.
To enable this feature:

1. Open the Configure Dante Interfaces dialog.
  2. Uncheck 'Use shared Dante interface'.
  3. Select your wireless adapter.
The wireless adaptor must be connected to the Dante network.

If you're just planning on using the wireless network for control, you'll need to assign your computer an address on the same subnet as the devices you want to control. Personally, I'd give everything a static IP or prop up a DHCP server, but statically assigning your computer a 169.254.x.x IP may also work.