Dead Midas Pro2c....

Scott LaRochelle

Freshman
Jan 24, 2011
Western Mass
www.sclsound.com
Hey guys,

I have had a Pro2c here at the shop on demo for about a month now. We where thinking about buying a few Pro2's. Before I say anything else I would like to mention the Midas customer support has been top notch. I have been dealing with Frank and he has been very helpful.

So it all started yesterday with the console locking up. No control over anything! Had to shut the console down which made me loose all my audio and reboot. A quick text message to Frank about this and he told me he has heard of this and they have a fix for the problem. Basically he asked if I had the console on for more than 12 hours and I told him yes. We left it on overnight. He said it was a ram problem and being fixed. I was good with that, made me feel better that he knew of the problem and didn't say I have never heard of that. So on we go Im playing with the console for about 1/2 hour after that and it locks up again. I try to reboot and nothing. I have reseated power supplies and have tried to reboot about 25 times and now the console is completely dead! I have to tell you that I really liked this console! I have the invoice on my desk to purchase a few and now I have such a bad taste Im not sure what to do....Im so thankful this was in the shop and not on a show! Anyone else have this issue?

Re: Dead Midas Pro2c....

Hi Scott-

That sucks, sorry to hear it and also glad it happened in the shop and not on a show.

Digital consoles are computers with a whole bunch of i/o and human interface stuff. Heat and vibration are the main enemies so there is probably something about the airflow through the mixer case that isn't keeping stuff cool enough.

What would be a major concern for us is how the desk would fare outdoors in the summer heat. For us, ambient temps between 95° - 105° F are common in the summer. If the Pro2c will lock up in your shop in the winter, I'd want major assurances from Midas/Music Group that the Pro2c will work in the conditions your humans work.

Good luck, and I hope Midas gets this sorted out for you.

Hey guys,

I have had a Pro2c here at the shop on demo for about a month now. We where thinking about buying a few Pro2's. Before I say anything else I would like to mention the Midas customer support has been top notch. I have been dealing with Frank and he has been very helpful.

So it all started yesterday with the console locking up. No control over anything! Had to shut the console down which made me loose all my audio and reboot. A quick text message to Frank about this and he told me he has heard of this and they have a fix for the problem. Basically he asked if I had the console on for more than 12 hours and I told him yes. We left it on overnight. He said it was a ram problem and being fixed. I was good with that, made me feel better that he knew of the problem and didn't say I have never heard of that. So on we go Im playing with the console for about 1/2 hour after that and it locks up again. I try to reboot and nothing. I have reseated power supplies and have tried to reboot about 25 times and now the console is completely dead! I have to tell you that I really liked this console! I have the invoice on my desk to purchase a few and now I have such a bad taste Im not sure what to do....Im so thankful this was in the shop and not on a show! Anyone else have this issue?

Hi Scott-

That sucks, sorry to hear it and also glad it happened in the shop and not on a show.

Digital consoles are computers with a whole bunch of i/o and human interface stuff. Heat and vibration are the main enemies so there is probably something about the airflow through the mixer case that isn't keeping stuff cool enough.

What would be a major concern for us is how the desk would fare outdoors in the summer heat. For us, ambient temps between 95° - 105° F are common in the summer. If the Pro2c will lock up in your shop in the winter, I'd want major assurances from Midas/Music Group that the Pro2c will work in the conditions your humans work.

Good luck, and I hope Midas gets this sorted out for you.

Same with us Tim, Its always 197 degrees at our shows! lol

I've been touring with Pro2's & Pro 6's on and off since 2009. I've seen my share of issues, but nothing enough to scare me away. I was actually out on the first Pro 6 in the USA.

We had a pair of Pro 2's out this summer on Warped Tour. Anyone who has ever been to this tour knows that it is a nightmare for equipment. 120+ degree days, dirt, dust and humidity. These consoles ran flawlessly from 10am to 8pm every day, all tour. We lost 1 power supply, and had a few software blips along the way. Nothing that stopped a show, and nothing that Midas couldn't fix over the phone. The customer support those guys offer is top notch, and Frank is one of my favorites to work with.

I did manage to kill a Pro 6 this past fall. It was one of the original desks they built(from 2009), and the router took a dump on me. Lost control of everything. Luckily it happened pre-show and I was able to source another desk for the show. Midas took the console & repaired it within a week. They sent me a loaner out on the road in the meantime. I've had a few hiccups with the V2 software on the Pro 6, but other then that, it's been my favorite console to tour with. It's a computer- shit happens.

Evan

Hello Scott.
Frank has tried to contact you regarding your PRO2 issue. Please return the call at your convenience.
With regards to the comments on this thread refering to possible thermal problems, this is unlikely to be relevent. One of the first PRO2 s was tested on a festival in Africa in ambient temperatures exceeding 42 degrees (centigrade) without issues. You can monitor internal component temps. using the diagnostics screen.
Please let me know when your problems are resolved.
Regards,
Richard Ferriday
Brand Development Manager - Midas.

Hey guys,

Hi Scott,

I just wanted to add some detail to what both Richard and Frank have already contributed. When you had the lock up of the surface there was no need to power cycle the whole console. Having to cut the power obviously resulted in audio stopping, but there is a recessed control computer (or MC (master controller) as we call it at MIDAS) reset switch on the back of the control surface which you could have used instead. This only resets the MC and not the DSP or control surface processor. It can be found just above the USB ports at the back, but you'll need a pen (or other thing object) to press it.

To use it you press and hold it down until the screen goes dark. Then release it and press and hold again until you hear a beep from inside the control surface. The control computer will then start to reboot as normal and this should not effect audio. The PRO1 also have this option.

As for the temperature question a PRO2c was recently used at about -16C at a World Cup Skiing event in Austria for one week and others have been used in Dubai (and other places around the world) at +45C. So extreme temperature shouldn't be a problem.

Hope this help,

Jason

I am looking at getting a pro1. Seeing two Midas employees monitoring the thread and taking time to respond speaks highly with me.

Speaks highly of the customer service yes! Gotta say with all that customer service I still have a dead Pro2c at the shop. The rep said they would come pick it up. That was last Monday, and I have not heard a word since. Now if I was the rep, and the dealer (dealer being us) had an invoice on his desk for a pair of Midas consoles I would make damn sure I would get him another demo or whatever it takes to make it right. Right now I don't think I will be purchasing a pair of Midas consoles. It's a shame too, I really like the stuff! I just have no trust in it.....FYI there is a guy on the Facebook Midas group page with the same issue I have with this dead one at the shop. Only difference is that he has a Pro 1. Also please understand it is not my intent to bash the brand. Im just putting this out there so others will know. I would want to know.....

Speaks highly of the customer service yes! Gotta say with all that customer service I still have a dead Pro2c at the shop. The rep said they would come pick it up. That was last Monday, and I have not heard a word since. Now if I was the rep, and the dealer (dealer being us) had an invoice on his desk for a pair of Midas consoles I would make damn sure I would get him another demo or whatever it takes to make it right. Right now I don't think I will be purchasing a pair of Midas consoles. It's a shame too, I really like the stuff! I just have no trust in it.....FYI there is a guy on the Facebook Midas group page with the same issue I have with this dead one at the shop. Only difference is that he has a Pro 1. Also please understand it is not my intent to bash the brand. Im just putting this out there so others will know. I would want to know.....

I completely understand. Do you have anything in mind that you may go with or you going to wait and see how this plays out? I have been looking at the AH GLD80 and the pro1

Hey guys,

I’m guessing, but I think Midas (like other manufactures) store event or system logs in ram (that’s a good thing), eventually (several days) it will fill up the ram unless you shut the desk down from time to time. It would depend on how much info they decide to store/log ….etc.
What version of the firmware were you running 2.05.04? If not I would upgrade ... and I suspect the problem may go away unless there are some other issues with your particular desk.

I’m guessing, but I think Midas (like other manufactures) store event or system logs in ram (that’s a good thing), eventually (several days) it will fill up the ram unless you shut the desk down from time to time. It would depend on how much info they decide to store/log ….etc.
What version of the firmware were you running 2.05.04? If not I would upgrade ... and I suspect the problem may go away unless there are some other issues with your particular desk.

Latest firmware. could not do an update if I tried. When powering up all the lights light up then go black. No screen, no lights. Tried it 100 times and nothing. Its not a power supply issue either.....

Latest firmware. could not do an update if I tried. When powering up all the lights light up then go black. No screen, no lights. Tried it 100 times and nothing. Its not a power supply issue either.....

Hello Scott

I am amazed that this issue is still outstanding. I have spoken with our tech support in the USA, and they have been trying to contact you, to no avail, for over a week. Do we have your contact details incorrect, or is this forum the only way we can communicate with you? We are determined to find out exactly what happened, so we can ensure no-one else has a similar experience!
Hope to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards,

Richard Ferriday

Brand Development Manager - Midas and Klark Teknik.

Hello Scott

I am amazed that this issue is still outstanding. I have spoken with our tech support in the USA, and they have been trying to contact you, to no avail, for over a week. Do we have your contact details incorrect, or is this forum the only way we can communicate with you? We are determined to find out exactly what happened, so we can ensure no-one else has a similar experience!
Hope to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards,

Richard Ferriday

Brand Development Manager - Midas and Klark Teknik.

Yes you guys have the correct contact info. I did receive Franks call and spoke with him today. Like I said the customer service is top notch! My rep is coming Thursday to pick it up. Like I explained to him on the phone I need another demo in front of me at the shop for a few so I can trust these things again. Without another demo, Im not sure....

Yes you guys have the correct contact info. I did receive Franks call and spoke with him today. Like I said the customer service is top notch! My rep is coming Thursday to pick it up. Like I explained to him on the phone I need another demo in front of me at the shop for a few so I can trust these things again. Without another demo, Im not sure....

Ok, that's easy to arrange. We'll set up another demo and find out what the issue was with the original unit. Thanks for your patience!

Kind regards

Richard Ferriday

Brand Development Manager - MIDAS and KLARK TEKNIK