Decision time: Digital or Analog (Behringer X32 + S16 vs analog snake and analog mixer + more questions

Tom White

Jul 5, 2022
US
Hi, folks.

New poster here. My tech chops are about 30 years out of date, and I'm working to get up to speed doing a lot of reading. I'm overseeing a major video production project in a small production space with an audience of about 100.

We're buying a bunch of new gear and hiring a team, so I'll probably have a bunch of questions (may have some freelance work for audio guys in the Sacramento area as well).

We are filming presentations of 1 to 12 people at a time. All voice, no singing or instruments. Think presentations and interactive discussion sort of thing.

We want to invest in some rock solid gear that will be reliable and basically trouble-free. I'm intrigued by the Behringer X32 rack mount, and am told it's super popular and reliable. Paired with the S16 (or more likely Midas DL-16, since the S16 seems unavailable), it seems like a very simple and easy-to-set up operation.

The idea is, we will use the digital output of the X32 to feed into something (not sure, maybe Logic or Audition? Or dedicated hardware? Open for suggestions) to record each microphone individually.

I would like to be able to send a separate stereo feed (digitally if possible) to the livestream video feed, and an analog stereo feed to the house for the audience.

Is the X32/DL16 a good pairing for this use? Is there something better?

Thanks in advance for any help!

There may be "better" (like things from Sound Devices) but an X32 Rack fits your needs.

You can use the "User Routing" in firmware 4.06 to send channel direct outs as ISOs for post production, L/R or matrices to the streaming encoder, all via USB, and the analog outputs for the audience.

I'm told the Dante cards for X/M32 are shipping in small quantities again...

Hi, Tim.
THanks much for your insight and input! I'll take a look at Sound Devices. I got the sense that the X32 will be really flexible and is apparently pretty reliable (and available!) so I may just go with that.

Appreciate it!

Hi, Tim.
THanks much for your insight and input! I'll take a look at Sound Devices. I got the sense that the X32 will be really flexible and is apparently pretty reliable (and available!) so I may just go with that.

Appreciate it!
The Sound Devices mention was because they have really clean, high gain mic preamps. Sound Devices field recorders are used in motion picture, TV, and video production, they're highly regarded (with matching prices).

For what you're doing I think an X32 of any flavor will work fine.

MACKIE DL series, without a doubt. Snakes, knobs, outboard processors - ALL OBSOLETE !
Yes, it takes a little change in thinking, (about a minute) but the sheer convenience is W E L L worth it.
The DL series blows away the competition. Features. Functions. Memory. Price. All others fall behind.

Behringer service is nearly non-existent.
And the MACKIE interface is more user friendly.

Attachments

• 39088B45-FC73-4660-B5F9-830BA7C8B785.png
    39088B45-FC73-4660-B5F9-830BA7C8B785.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
  • 8444BABF-6AC0-43B8-9845-3DE5FCA2658B.png
    8444BABF-6AC0-43B8-9845-3DE5FCA2658B.png
    450.4 KB · Views: 9