Differences: Sennehiser ew300 IEM G2 and G3

Re: Differences: Sennehiser ew300 IEM G2 and G3

-Ethernet port to connect directly to WSM software
-Finer adjustment of transmitter sensitivity
-Beltpack can scan and send free frequencies to receiver via IR
-AC3 combiner can power 4 transmitters via coax cable=only one power suply for 4 transmitters.
-30mW output power

G2 IEM transmitters don't play well with Aviom mixer outputs.

Scott,
FYI: Here's a link that solves that issue. Note: Aviom fixed (implemented?) this in their mixers a while ago. I don't recall the SN's from memory, but everything from a certain SN onward filters the noise. I called them a few years ago and they were able to give me the SN of the change.

http://www.aviom.com/library/Technical-Resources/88_IEM-Noise-Solution.pdf

Matt,
The other guys pretty much covered the upgrades.

- More Power
- More BW
- Better S/N
- IR Sync
- Adaptive Diversity (via IEM shield)
- Finer Adjustments
- Built In Networkability

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Eric
Market Development: Installed Sound
Sennheiser

Scott,
FYI: Here's a link that solves that issue. Note: Aviom fixed (implemented?) this in their mixers a while ago. I don't recall the SN's from memory, but everything from a certain SN onward filters the noise. I called them a few years ago and they were able to give me the SN of the change.

http://www.aviom.com/library/Technical-Resources/88_IEM-Noise-Solution.pdf

Matt,
The other guys pretty much covered the upgrades.

- More Power
- More BW
- Better S/N
- IR Sync
- Adaptive Diversity (via IEM shield)
- Finer Adjustments
- Built In Networkability

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Eric
Market Development: Installed Sound
Sennheiser
Very good, now tell us about the new digital 9046 microport system!

Just did a measurement of the different combinations of G2 and 2000, as you can see the biggest audio BW improvement is in the transmitter!
IEM sammenligning.jpg
PINK: 2000 transmitter, 2000 beltpack
blue: 2000 transmitter, G2 beltpack
green: G2 transmitter, G2 beltpack
red: G2 transmitter, 2000 beltpack

Last edited:

+1 on everything above.

I have carried G2, G3, PSM600, PSM700, PSM900, and Garwood/Future Sonics on different tours. I can't overstate the importance of the G3 diversity antenna switching. On the last Dolly tour I carried PSM900's (non-diversity). When they're not suffering multipath interference clicks, pops, and dropouts, they're the best sounding IEM's that I've ever carried on tour but the G3 beats the PSM900 on clean RF and is a close second in audio punch and S/N. If you have any musicians who are very sensitive to every tick, you might opt for G3's. FWIW, PSM1000's are diversity and sound just as great as PSM900's, but at a higher price per channel.

Jens,
The extended low end shown on your analysis is very much audible, and also applies to the EW300 IEM G3 transmitters. You guys will notice the difference right away if you have a chance to A/B them with a G2, good program material, and a high-end set of earpieces.

I have noticed one odd thing with G3's and I wonder if anyone else has heard this firsthand. When there's little or no audio signal present, I can hear a faint data-like beeping pattern coming from the right side. I have noticed it on many different EW300 IEM G3 rigs, attached to many different consoles. Can anyone concur?

Last edited:

Jason Glass said:
Jens,
The extended low end shown on your analysis is very much audible, and also applies to the EW300 IEM G3 transmitters. You guys will notice the difference right away if you have a chance to A/B them with a G2, good program material, and a high-end set of earpieces.

I have noticed one odd thing with G3's and I wonder if anyone else has heard this firsthand. When there's little or no audio signal present, I can hear a faint data-like beeping pattern coming from the right side. I have noticed it on many different EW300 IEM G3 rigs, attached to many different consoles. Can anyone concur?

AFAIK the 2000 and G3 packs contain the same electronics, just different firmware in the packs to open up the wider tuning area of the 2000 series. I have not noticed the data, but you can hear electronic clicks in the right side when operating the L/R balance....

I've got a bunch of G2 beltpacks and no transmitter... and have been totally unsuccessful at getting a G2 transmitter used. Can you use the G2 beltpacks with the G3 transmitter? I can find those.

I've got a bunch of G2 beltpacks and no transmitter... and have been totally unsuccessful at getting a G2 transmitter used. Can you use the G2 beltpacks with the G3 transmitter? I can find those.

Yes, they are completely compatible, as long as they are in the same band. You even get to enjoy the extended lowend of the G3 transmitter.
Another thing that is good knowledge is the AC3 4 way combiner works fine with 100mW transmitters like the SR2000, although it is only meant for use with the G3.

Last edited: