Disco Ball

Wow, and I thought the three foot diameter mirror ball I owned in 1987 was big, that mirrored cement mixer is ahhhsome.
The 3' mirror ball made it two nights on tour before the underrated motor shaft cracked as it was being lowered by four people when it got a few degrees off from vertical.
Never will forget the resounding "WOOmphh" echoing around the arena, turning around from the front mix to see what had been a globe was now a hemisphere surrounded by tiny mirrors.
I attempted to put the Plaster of Paris Humpty Dumpty back together again with polyester resin, but it was never used again.

Still shudder to think what would have happened if that 150 pound monstrosity would have landed in the middle of the arena when people were on the floor.

Looks like fun.

I still like the mirror ball that we built.  It's a ball within a ball.  The larger ball, about 4' in diameter opens up, and the ball below drops out.  Both balls spin independently.  The cabling allows them to separate by about 8 feet.  It's a pretty cool show to watch. 2012-06-15 20.07.32.jpg

Attachments

• 2012-07-25 20.37.19.jpg
    2012-07-25 20.37.19.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 2012-07-28 21.36.32.jpg
    2012-07-28 21.36.32.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 2
The ABC, one of our venues in Glasgow (originally independent but now bought over by the Academy Chain/O2) has what I believe is the biggest installed mirrorball in Europe.
i1295256943.jpg
ABC main room jayjay 1250x400.jpg

Until I worked there I had never really been that fussed about the effect they created, but when the band played a rock/Muse inspired cover of Feeling Good and the lighting engineer killed the house lights and pointed several spots at it, the effect was stunning and I finally 'got it' lol.

Last edited: