Disposable products... or not?

John Roberts

Graduate Student
Jan 12, 2011
MS
www.resotune.com
While I was angry and a little PO's a while back by the plastic bearing surface and bushing on my rotary brush, vacuum cleaner, melting and being in my opinion unfixable... To my pleasant surprise, I was able to find replacement parts on the WWW... While not cheap (I had to replace several large associated parts), for less than $75 in parts and a couple hours figuring out how to reassemble it without instructions, I was able to get my trusty old Hoover, sucking like a trooper (make your own dirty joke) again... well it was already sucking, but now the rotary brush is beating loose the dirt in the carpet again so it can get sucked up into the right hole.

I probably could have bought a cheapo new vacuum, with 140G of centrifugal force, for little more than these parts cost me to fix the old one. but I feel bad about discarding old stuff that can still be made to work (like me).

I somehow doubt the new vacuum I might have replaced this with would be as repairable.

JR

PS, When I tore down the vacuum to replace parts, I found about a 2" roofing nail that had been driven through the motor impeller cowling from the inside out, I don't recall vacuuming up a huge nail, but it apparently shrugged it off and kept on trucking.

Re: Disposable products... or not?

It's sometimes hard to tell - I've had ocasional success in fixing cheap "disposable" things, and failure in fixing "servicable" things.

At work, we had a few models of expensive workstations of highly modular design - lots of riser cards and daughterboards. We had far more problems with these than the cheap one-piece computers they were replaced with.

Re: Disposable products... or not?

i just broke my cell today and went to get a quick temp replacement without renewing my contract. 10$ for a cell phone! Talk about disposable.

At least the $10 cell phone is designed to be disposable, the problem with similar fast changing technology, even if designed to not be disposable, people are reluctant to fix a product that is not up to current functionality. I have a pile of old computers that still turn on, but yawn, why bother?

While I am reluctant to agree with a lot of European legislative mothering, there is some merit to anticipating the life cycle of consumer products, wrt recycling and hazardous materials used, while those policies could perhaps benefit from some perspective regarding lead.

JR