Do horn adaptors effect the sound?

Mike Cochran

Apr 5, 2019
Bradenton, FL
Hi everyone.. I'm in the middle of building a set of La Scala clones and am fighting with myself over an issue dealing with the mid horn. I'm building a wooden tractrix horn instead of using stock horns. I've purchased a pair of A-55G mid drivers from Bob Crites, which have a 1-3/8 threaded throat.

I'd like to build my horns with a 2" throat for possible upgrades to a 2" driver as well as making it a bit easier to sand and paint inside the horn.. the 1" throat horn design has a long thin neck and I can forsee trouble getting in there with paint and such.

My quandary surrounds the mating of the A-55G driver to a 2" throat tractrix horn.. I can buy adapters that go from the 1-3/8" thread to a bolt on 2" exit.. but is it going to destroy the sound?

Anyone have any experience with those adapters, or just some good old uninformed opinions?

Cheers!
Mike

Attachments

• Horn Adapter.GIF
    Horn Adapter.GIF
    51.6 KB · Views: 3
Cant sound any worse than a stock La Scala with its folded short bass horn crossing over to a University paging horn mid driver. Not sure why anyone would want to recreate a severely compromised speaker design that was only created initially to get adequate level from the small tube power amps available sixty years ago but no the screw on to bolt on adaptor isn't going to be the sound destroyer.