Eaw anya

Jan 10, 2011
Abingdon, MD
www.harfordsound.com
So, I got to mix on an EAW ANYA rig the other day. For those of you who live under a rock, or do not know how to work the interwebs, here's what it is: Anya Lives

EAW claims to have broken the rules, and created a new beast, unlike any other product on the market thus far. I was intrigued to say the least.

So, I finally encountered the beast in real life. It was a warm, sunny California day when I woke up, walked off my bus and saw her hanging there. 2 columns of 10 boxes each per side. The venue was a nice outdoor amphitheater, with a very high rake to the back. I was on a profile, with a handy dandy lake. Never got a chance to see what they ended up with for system EQ, but it was set up by an EAW ANYA guy, so I imagine it was done right. Out of the gate, they seemed very timid sounding. Not in your face, not RAWK, but timid seems to be the word that comes to mind. They reminded me of an EAW KF650 on a UX8800. A little honky in the 400-500hz range, but very smooth, almost dull mids & highs. Granted, the rig was behind a scrim, so that probably had an effect on the top end. I guess you could say it was like listening to a "nice" home stereo. I ended up adding quite a bit in the top end to give me that "sparkle" I like live. The low mids were a little disappointing. They were missing that meat in the guitars and snare. I want to say the low mid section of the box was "weird," but I don't know if that describes it accurately. That big 'ol hang of boxes reminded me of mixing on a small 3-way club box(650 for example). It sounded nice, but I just couldn't get that meat I was looking for. The low end was also a little disappointing- it wasn't there. I don't know if they had the boxes high passed, but it didn't seem like they were doing much below 80.

Ok, but enough about the sound for a second- how about this magical beam steering system EAW came up with? Well, I gotta say, I was impressed. It works, as advertised. I walked the ENTIRE venue during different acts all day. Top to bottom, side to side. The horizontal coverage is impressive! Down below the hang, everything is still there, and 300' away up top, it sounds like it should. There wasn't much above 5k up top, but again, for having a flat hang of boxes, I was impressed. Side to side was a slightly less impressive story though. At the "seam" between the 2 columns, there was a nasty 5k beam. It was about 3' wide and very focused. I randomly noticed it walking out front, and it scared the shit out of me. Toward the outside of the coverage, you lost the mids & highs quick. But, again, I think these are things that can be worked out over time. EAW is on to something here, and I like where it's going.

Show time: Came out of the gate at 101dBA at FOH. Vocals sounded nice, and present(with my added EQ). I had no issues at all keeping the vocals on top of the mix. The guitars again sounded "nice," but were missing that low mid beef. Toms & cymbals sounded good. Kick was punchy enough for the terrible subwoofer deployment/lack of subs I had. My only issue was- I just couldn't get the snare to pop like I wanted. It was certainly there, but it just was wimpy sounding. Again, missing that low mid grunt. When I really laid into the boxes on the last few songs, they held together just fine. The same issues persisted at louder volumes, but it held together and no new issues popped up. I think I topped out around 106dBA briefly.

Overall:
-The box does as advertised- it's a little rough around the edges right now, but I think some DSP tweaks will solve the issues.
-It wouldn't be my first pick for a rock show, but for "lighter" material, I think it will excel.
-It's clean, and "hi-fi." Reminds me of listening to a home stereo.
-A little honky, almost "weird" in the mids.
-Comparable to a KF650 SQ wise(IMO)

Here's a little video clip I found from the gig:
All Time Low - Weightless Live @ Epicenter 2013 - YouTube

And a comparison to another gig where I was much happier :)
All Time Low - Outlines - Towson Center Arena, MD - YouTube

Annnddd that's it!

Evan

Attachments

• anya1.jpg
    anya1.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 5
  • anya2.jpg
    anya2.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 5
  • anya3.jpg
    anya3.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 5
  • anya4.jpg
    anya4.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 5
Re: Eaw anya

The low mids were a little disappointing. They were missing that meat in the guitars and snare. I want to say the low mid section of the box was "weird," but I don't know if that describes it accurately. That big 'ol hang of boxes reminded me of mixing on a small 3-way club box(650 for example). It sounded nice, but I just couldn't get that meat I was looking for. The low end was also a little disappointing- it wasn't there. I don't know if they had the boxes high passed, but it didn't seem like they were doing much below 80.

Evan

Not enought low mids, yet your screen shot of what I assume is your applied system EQ shows only cuts, with no LF or LMF boost. What gives? Did the system distort or limit if you tried any boost down there? With 40 boxes, each 2x15, you would think that would not be a problem...

Last edited:

After looking again at your shot of the two hangs, I wonder if part of the problem with what you were hearing has to do with the dual hangs. One of the hangs appears to point at 90 degrees to the stage lip, i.e. straight out. The outer hang appears to point 60 degrees out from that. So the main lobe of the combined system at low mid frequencies is pointing at 45 degrees offstage. It depends on what frequencies you call low mids (the classic definition of midrange is 250 to 2500 Hz), and what the crossover frequencies are, but at some frequency band the horizontal dispersion of a single hang is probably wide enough to interfere to some degree with it's neighboring hang, but yet the spacing between the outer 'wings' of the combination is wide enough so that the combined system lobe is narrowed. The result at FOH position, which appears to be in the middle, 20 to 30 degrees inward from the inner hangs, and about 60 degees inward from the resultant combined main lobe from both hangs at lower mid/upper bass frequencies, could be as you described.

I would expect this effect to be not much more than -6 dB, probably less, since worst case the innermost and outermost lines of 15" drivers would be out of phase, but the middle two lines of 15s would be acoustically close and therefore have wide dispersion. Besides applying some boost at appropriate frequencies, the next step to improve the situation would be to rotate the combined array inward. Further tweaking could be done by modifying the magnitude and/or phase of the innermost and/or outermost drivers in the DSP. Improvements in the center of the venue would probably result in degraded performance at other positions, however.

If 'conventional' line arrays were used, either a single hang would not adequately cover the outer edges of what appears to be a wide venue, or dual hangs per side would have variable spacing from top to bottom due to their bananna shape, spreading out the bandwidth of the interference and decreasing it's depth. Whether it would be more pleasant to a listener in the overlap zone between the two is open to testing and debate.

Last edited:

I was under the impression since Dave Rat was very much part of the design and testing all the sound quality issues would have already been taken care of before they start shipping.

Franz

What Dave and/or Evan like, sonically, does not represent the total market for this product. I suspect that they represent the "American" flavor of system voicing and such does not define the world-wide market.