EAW KF 730 Rev/A/B/C/D

Mateusz Lupa

May 3, 2018
Poland
Hi everyone!

I do not know if I write in a good department but maybe I can help you with a certain issue :) , namely could anyone explain what the letters mean when describing the KF730 Rev_A, KF730 Rev_B, KF730 Rev_C and KF730Rev_D models and whether there is a difference between them, if so would someone explain to me? I will be very grateful in advance. :)

Regards

Mateusz,

As far as I can tell, the EAW KF 730 has remained the same since 2003, but processing has been upgraded from simple DSP with 2 way filters to "EAW Focusing", revision "D" update being around 2015.
The cabinet has been "revoiced", smoother upward tilted response, more of a "smile" curve.

"updated GreyboxTM processing enhances performance of KF730, incorporating improved equalization, crossover, FocusingTM and limiting parameters for even better system performance without physical changes. The update brings significantly improved low-mid directivity, dramatically reducing rear sound radiation as well as improved limiting and overall driver protection, while making it sonically more consistent with KF720, KF740 and Adaptive Systems. Updated GreyboxesTM are available on the EAW website, www.eaw.com".

ArtRevoicing.png

Reactions: Mateusz Lupa
The cabinet has been "revoiced", smoother upward tilted response, more of a "smile" curve.

It's worth noting that the plotted response appears to be for a single box, and the tilted response will flatten out quite a bit when used as an array due to coupling between adjacent boxes. The bump in the LF will remain, however.

It's worth noting that the plotted response appears to be for a single box, and the tilted response will flatten out quite a bit when used as an array due to coupling between adjacent boxes. The bump in the LF will remain, however.

FWIW. If you measure a single linearray cabinet they're often voiced like this, the processing is designed with a minimum number of cabinets as a target. Good manufacturers have single cabinet preset available with a more linear respnse target for using single cabinets as front fills etc.

This catches a lot of first-time Meyer users out, Meyer voices their cabinets as singles, so you would need to put in a pretty hefty array correction eq to roll this back to the staring point. This is normal, but some users doesn't like to see large eq numbers on the system (even seasoned touring engineers will, in several cases argue that a large cut on a system is wrong just because it's large even when faced with measurements and physics that supports this cut), so to avoid this, I use a hidden eq page for array corrections when I do system work, so everybody get's a "flat" eq to start with. Saves a lot of time.

Last edited: