Electro voice elx passive

Jimmy Hardin

Junior
Jan 29, 2013
I may have posted on here about this same topic before , forgive me if i have, but i am interested in getting the Electro voice ELX passive speakers and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them?

Re: Electro voice elx passive

I've been using a pair for my small low end gigs for quite some time now. They are light weight and look decent but the finish is pretty weak and scratches easily, I just routinely touch up paint mine to keep them looking nice.

As to audio quality, for entry level speakers they sound good but don't believe the EV published specs that make these seem like miracle boxes on paper, in real life they can't get that loud. I use them regularly in 150 or less cap rooms powered by a QSC GX7 and they have always met my needs.

I've been using a pair for my small low end gigs for quite some time now. They are light weight and look decent but the finish is pretty weak and scratches easily, I just routinely touch up paint mine to keep them looking nice.

As to audio quality, for entry level speakers they sound good but don't believe the EV published specs that make these seem like miracle boxes on paper, in real life they can't get that loud. I use them regularly in 150 or less cap rooms powered by a QSC GX7 and they have always met my needs.

I am planning on having 2 per side of stage and I would use them for outdoor/indoor events. I will be powering them with a behringer ep4000 power amp with the amp in stereo which has the wattage at 1400 watts @ 4ohms. Thats how i will use them @ 4 ohms. you say they can't get THAT loud? would they be fine for using outdoors or for more than a 150 people capacity. my audience's range from 300 to 1,600 people at different events.

I will be powering them with a behringer ep4000 power amp with the amp in stereo which has the wattage at 1400 watts @ 4ohms.

If you do, you won't be powering them for very long. These are light to medium duty cabs. If you put 700W into them, you will be replacing them very soon. High-pass at 100Hz and keep them around 300W would be better.

would they be fine for using outdoors or for more than a 150 people capacity. my audience's range from 300 to 1,600 people at different events.

I have the active ELX cabs and while they are handy and good sounding cabs, they are not the best choice for the conditions above, IMnHO. I use mine for stage monitors on quieter stages, or FOH for indoor gigs < 200 people. Like Ryan said, they do not get exceedingly loud.

My advice: instead of a pair of ELX passive per side for your FOH needs, step up to a pair of more capable speakers. I will say, though, that four passive ELX cabs, if you add some plastic feet on the angled side, could make for a handy pack of stage wedges if you do not need stupid volume.

Good luck and let us know how this all works out for you.

If you do, you won't be powering them for very long. These are light to medium duty cabs. If you put 700W into them, you will be replacing them very soon. High-pass at 100Hz and keep them around 300W would be better.

I have the active ELX cabs and while they are handy and good sounding cabs, they are not the best choice for the conditions above, IMnHO. I use mine for stage monitors on quieter stages, or FOH for indoor gigs < 200 people. Like Ryan said, they do not get exceedingly loud.

My advice: instead of a pair of ELX passive per side for your FOH needs, step up to a pair of more capable speakers. I will say, though, that four passive ELX cabs, if you add some plastic feet on the angled side, could make for a handy pack of stage wedges if you do not need stupid volume.

Ok thanks for the info. I was really thinking about buying them this year, Glad i asked first. I will try to let you guys know what I finally get if anything at all. I get forgetful sometimes. so i will try.

Hey i am still looking for another set of cabinets but i was wondering about the 1st post above about putting 700 Watts through the speakers , I checked the specs for the powered ones and it said that the power handling is 1000 watts. Am i missing something? I don't understand how 700 watts is going to hurt them if 1000 watts won't?

Hey i am still looking for another set of cabinets but i was wondering about the 1st post above about putting 700 Watts through the speakers , I checked the specs for the powered ones and it said that the power handling is 1000 watts. Am i missing something? I don't understand how 700 watts is going to hurt them if 1000 watts won't?

The passive version is rated 250 W continuous and 1000 W peak power handling, the powered version probably can only do 1000 watts for a microsecond peak.

If your program material is quite dynamic, 700 watts peak should be no problem, but if it is highly compressed, that could be a bit much.

The passive version is rated 250 W continuous and 1000 W peak power handling, the powered version probably can only do 1000 watts for a microsecond peak.

If your program material is quite dynamic, 700 watts peak should be no problem, but if it is highly compressed, that could be a bit much.
ok, The amp is rated at 1400 watts @ 4 Ohms. thats 700 watts a cabinet if i am not mistaken. I will have some compression on the lead vocals and kick, other than that thats probably all the compression i am going to use.