electronics help....

So I have an NX520P yorkville powered box, that came back to me with no horn. I opened up the back hoping it woul dbe as simple as a bulb change or something of the like, because I am not much use past that (electronically speaking). So I opened the amp module and didn't find any bulbs, but what I did find was one of the caps had the lead broken off. So I unsoldered the other lead from the board, and thought this would be a simple , get the part, and replace it... NOT... Apparently there are ac capacitors, dc caps, and various values in between...
The component in question is a 3.3K 250vac capacitor ( photo attached), which is located in position C51 on the nx520P service manual drawing.

So I went to my handy electroncis store and they sent me on my way with an ac 3mdf 250vac capacitor with a couple of stranded wire leads...
I do not want to install this component incase I toast something, I would rather the actual component , but I'm under a time crunch to get the speaker working. Any electronics guru's out there, that could confirm if this is going to work, and if in fact this was the cause of having no horn.

Before I un-installed the cap I laid the speaker on it's face, and set the cap against the board, assuming it was making contact with the wire nub that was left, and I had high end.

Attachments

• Picture 374.jpg
    Picture 374.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 373.jpg
    Picture 373.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 0
  • smnx520p.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Re: electronics help....

I am inclined to say just do it. (easy for me to say). You generally can get into more trouble sticking a DC cap into an AC cap hole.

While not clear from the picture that may be a 3 uF 5% cap in series with the horn. A 3000 uF cap at 250V would be pretty large.

One quick question, is the replacement cap roughly the same size as the original cap? If yes, you are probably Ok. If much larger, or much smaller, be much nervous.

You don't want it flopping around loose in there.

JR

Re: electronics help....

C51 is a part of LF power amp, according to published schematic.
Looks like a lead (or both) broke ... You'll do fine by using 3MFD cap.
The problem (no HF) remains...
Can you check upon continuity of the HF driver itself ?

w/r