EV Sx100/300

Re: EV Sx100/300

I have 2 of each, what are they good for?

(I've tried playing house music through 'em and they're kinda tinny, haven't been game to send them out on a rock gig yet...)

They are good for blowing up. Seems there are more blown SX than any other speaker series I know of, and their relatively smooth sound is partially to blame for that (they don't get JBL- or Mackie- painful to listen to when they are pushed too hard).
I'd say they are good for monitor duty at reasonable stage levels. Don't let DJ's have them, edm speakers they are not.

I have 2 of each, what are they good for?

(I've tried playing house music through 'em and they're kinda tinny, haven't been game to send them out on a rock gig yet...)

They make excellent stage wedges, especially when hi-passed at 100Hz and not pushed stupidly hard. They are known for light weight and clear sound. Gobs of bass = dead cabs. If you were stateside, I'd tell you to send them to me if you had no use for 'em. :p

They are a work horse for me. Good for monitors, talking head gigs, bands in smaller venues, great install cabinet. Good ROI as a rental stock item. I have 3 installed in a 600 seat auditorium as a center cluster that gets stupid loud with plenty of thump. They array well for covering larger areas. If yours are very tinny I would suspect some sort of damage or failure.

If you need real low end, add subs.

Don't let DJ's have them, edm speakers they are not.

I know an EDM outfit in LA that has 128 of them and they beg to differ.
-yes they run them with subs and they are all current 300 versions in white. I've seen them using those little plastic speakers and putting up with abuse that would kill many other 12"-2-way plastic speakers.

Don't confuse them with the lesser 100 model or the older 200 model.

They are good for blowing up.

Heh, who woulda thought that harshness had a use?!

Gonna give 'em a go with some punk bands on the weekend, just vox and kick click and a whole lotta stage sound.

I should really be able to work this out for myself by now but I'm still a bit baffled, they rms around 300, peak at 1200 (apparently). What am I looking for in an amp? I've been eyeing off something from Crown but by the time you get down to 8 ohms, the power ratings seem very low... , alternatively, I could get my hands on a Yamaha P7000S...

I should really be able to work this out for myself by now but I'm still a bit baffled, they rms around 300, peak at 1200 (apparently). What am I looking for in an amp?
Lisa,

The SX 300 handles 300 watts AES, which is a shaped pink noise compressed to only 6 dB dynamic range.
Normal pink noise has 10 dB dynamic range, and music generally more, so occasional 1200 watt peaks can be tolerated without burning up the speaker with average power.
On the other hand, if your music consisted of sine waves, which have only a 3 dB crest factor, the speaker could handle only 150 watts.
High frequency feedback could take out the tweeter with a fraction of that.

An amp capable of around 600 watts at 8 ohms would be plenty for the SX 300, around 200-300 for the SX 100.

Attachments

• EV DL12BFH.png
    EV DL12BFH.png
    146.2 KB · Views: 1