Expression 3 recording and monitor system?

Ben Gingerich

Sophomore
Oct 19, 2012
Warner Robins Ga
I'm thinking about installing the expression 3 for an install i'm doing, I've used it a few times and seems like it would be simple to train volunteers who will be running it, however it only has 1 card slot, am I missing a way to do multitrack recording and run an aviom or dbx monitor system?

Re: Expression 3 recording and monitor system?

No, the expression only has one card slot. If a stereo recording can suffice and you can spare the two outputs, that is always an option.

Re: Expression 3 recording and monitor system?

I'm thinking about installing the expression 3 for an install i'm doing, I've used it a few times and seems like it would be simple to train volunteers who will be running it, however it only has 1 card slot, am I missing a way to do multitrack recording and run an aviom or dbx monitor system?

You are not missing anything.

In your application, the recommended solution is to purchase the Si Performer, which has two option card slots. They have significantly dropped in price due to the digital mixer wars currently underway.

I have the Si Expression 3 and want the ability to use the stagebox and record at the same time, so I spent some time researching this issue. I do not need the Aviom or dbx monitor system capability.

Theoretically, it is possible to record with the Si Expression using an optical MADI stagebox, an RME MADI Bridge, and a PC MADI interface but it would not be cheap.

I am hopeful that Soundcraft will produce a Dante stagebox in the future which should allow recording without the need for extra hardware.

Last edited: