Favorite Aircraft cable cutters and crimpers

Peter Etheredge

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
St. Charles, IL
tnprod.com
Our old tool has worn out pretty quickly (I don't even remember the brand off hand, but it wasn't a really expensive one and never worked great) and I'm wondering what you all like for cutting cable and crimping swage fittings to it? I'm fine with an all in one tool or if two separate are better that's also cool - just want something that makes it look pretty and neat with no rough ends and does the job without hassle.

Thanks!

Re: Favorite Aircraft cable cutters and crimpers

Our old tool has worn out pretty quickly (I don't even remember the brand off hand, but it wasn't a really expensive one and never worked great) and I'm wondering what you all like for cutting cable and crimping swage fittings to it? I'm fine with an all in one tool or if two separate are better that's also cool - just want something that makes it look pretty and neat with no rough ends and does the job without hassle.

Thanks!

A good place to start:

http://www.sapsis-rigging.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SRI&Category_Code=06

Thanks!

Hello,

Felco cutters are a professional tool. Clean cuts and very durable.

NicoPress brand are the hand swaging tools I have, also a good quality tool.

Buy once, they'll last forever.

Hammer

+1 on the Felco cutters. Use whatever swage tool your fitting manufacturer suggests.

One trick to avoiding frayed ends is to put some heatshrink tubing at the cut point prior to cutting, shrink the tubing, and cut through the heatshrink+cable combination.

Just remember kids: Only buy fittings that are designed to work with your swaging tool, and check any completed crimps using your go/no-go gauge.

That said, I have just always used Nico and that's what I have stuck with. My oldest Nico hand swager is probably 15 years old and has never required adjustment.

Just wanted to give a quick update and say that we ended up with a Felco cutter and a Locoloc swager and they have been absolutely fantastic! Things cuts through cable like it's nothing.

As always thanks for the advice... never been led wrong!

Peter,

I would suggest swaging a test length of wire rope (using your oval duplexes and thimbles and swagers, etc...) then taking it to your local Industrial wire supply house and requesting them to complete a pull test. This will ensure your combination of swager and pieces meet your expected safety rating. The chart they should give you will be a bit decieving at first. They can explain how to interpret the data.
P.S> is you buy your supplies from them they will typically do it gratis..

Safe rigging! - One mistake can cost a life.

Michael Moore CTS-I