Fender Twin Reverb

Ben Lawrence

Senior
Mar 2, 2011
Vermont
vtaudiovisual.com
I find myself subbing some of the same backline repeatedly so have been just shopping around on Reverb and Ebay for a Fender Reverb Twin as thats what seems to be requested. Mostly wedding bands. Im not hard up to get into backline or anything but more curious on the different models. I never really looked closely at the models I subbed out. There seems to be a bunch of different variations. Fender Twin, 65 reissue, Tonemaster, Deluxe, Custom.
Are these models interchangeable? The riders I get seem to just have Fender twin listed without any of the differentiating models mentioned.
There is seems to be a price range from 2k-800$ depending on the model. Just trying to get some knowledge on the subject.

Ben, I do not profess to be a Fender aficionado but what I can tell you is yes , there are subtle and not so subtle differences between models mentioned . Sometimes it is simply a difference in speakers used , sometimes the circuitry has been set for a specific sound as in a Bassman . I would hazard a guess that if you have been getting requests for a Fender Twin they are probably seeking a vintage fender ( 70's ) and yes those will cost a few donero to purchase . Purists will say that it matters because in the 70's the Fender amps were point to point hand-wired and as such they have a sound not easily re- created today . What the musicians are most likely looking for is an amp that will project cleanly at a mid to high volume level . The vintage amps were rated at 50-65 watts and could achieve a decent volume level with out reaching breakup . I don't know all the models mentioned in your query but have owned a couple of them and they were 22 watts , which in most cases is more than adequate power but they tend to start to breakup at a rather low volume . All I can tell you is I no longer own a fender anything . They just never sounded like what I wanted . Most amp manufacturers either design their amps to have a decidedly British tone ( Marshall , Vox etc. ) and use El 34 tubes for higher wattage amps (50watts+ )and EL 84 for lower wattage (15-20 watts ) amps . Those looking for an American tone generally use 6L6 tubes or a variation of to get that style of tone . Fender were always 6L6 tubed , until the more modern era and some of the models you mention are EL 84 equipped . Bill , that's all I have to say on the subject . Someone with a more technical background could probably fill in a lot of things I know nothing about but I just want to add that the reason amps have been going to smaller wattages is for the most part venues are demanding less volume onstage . It is hard to get a vintage Marshall head to sound like it was designed to sound at a reasonable volume level in a small venue and only works well in larger rooms or out doors . Most venues nowadays are smaller and 50 watt Fender Twins or anything in that class just don't mix well , as those like the Marshall head need to be cranked to get the sound that made them famous . Its definitely a catch 22 situation and one I deal with constantly as a soundman . Looking at the current offerings Fender has I would say what closely matches what is being requested is the Fender Twin 120V , which boasts approx 85watts so will or should have plenty of clean headroom for all event requirements . They currently retail for$ 2500.00 can . I hope this helps you a bit Ben ...good luck :)

Thanks for all the info. I was kinda steering towards a re-issue or something current as reliability is at the top of my list. I see a 70s reverb twin on my local craigslist for 875$ but all I can think is 50 years old ! Thats gonna have some scratchy potentiometers at the least.

Ben , you are very correct . Older , while cooler , are not super reliable in my experience . I wish you good luck finding a model that doesn't break the bank but will come close to the sound of an old Twin . Fender has quite an array of re- issues , some of them don't tell you what tubes are used but I would hazard a guess that they would be EL 84 's . At any rate Fender is not the only company that makes a good tube amp , I suggest you look outside the box . You may be pleasantly surprised . They dont have to be multi- thousands of dollars to do a good job .

At any rate Fender is not the only company that makes a good tube amp , I suggest you look outside the box . You may be pleasantly surprised . They don't have to be multi- thousands of dollars to do a good job .
Looking outside the box is fine, but may not be appropriate if one is trying to meet artist riders - if you're walking into a venue and relying on gear to be provided for you, familiarity is a very good thing. If I ask for an SM58 for vocals, I'm not going to be happy with an e835, and if I ask for an MD421 for an instrument mic, a Heil PR30 isn't what I wanted.

I find myself subbing some of the same backline repeatedly so have been just shopping around on Reverb and Ebay for a Fender Reverb Twin as thats what seems to be requested. Mostly wedding bands. Im not hard up to get into backline or anything but more curious on the different models. I never really looked closely at the models I subbed out. There seems to be a bunch of different variations. Fender Twin, 65 reissue, Tonemaster, Deluxe, Custom.
Are these models interchangeable? The riders I get seem to just have Fender twin listed without any of the differentiating models mentioned.
There is seems to be a price range from 2k-800$ depending on the model. Just trying to get some knowledge on the subject.
For backline purposes: if you need a Fender Twin, the current '65 Twin Reverb is going to be the one to get. If you are looking for used, stay away from ones that say "Twin Amp" or have red knobs (aka: "Evil Twin"). I have one of those that was completely reworked by Bob Leonard some years ago. While he did an absolutely fantastic job on voicing it like an original '65 black face Twin (and sounds arguably better than a "real" current model Twin), it still says "Twin Amp" on it, and will never be worth the same as a "real" Twin.

The black face (as opposed to the silver face) twin will be the most common, and acceptable by the largest group of people. If you need Not That Much Guitar (a Twin is 85 watts), a '65 Deluxe Reverb is an excellent amp in the arsenal as well, and down from that, a Hot Rod Deluxe IV.

Less common but still seen on riders will be a '65 Super Reverb, and a Hot Rod Deville 212 IV (though usually if someone wants the Deville 212, they'll take a Twin). After that, you start getting into the world of Roland JC120, Vox AC30, and the like.

Happy backlining!

If you are buying new, the one to get would be the 65 Reissue. Used you should be able to get a good 70's Silver Face for around 800.00. They are big, loud, and heavy so there is not much demand for them. It may need some work but, any competent tech can get them up to snuff and they should be reliable. You will also find that many artist that request a Twin will also except a 2-12 Hot Rod DeVille.

I got an order in for a Fender Twin 65' reissue 60th anniversary (775$). I think that puts it in the 2006 area. Apparently it has been recently serviced. I will give it a quick run through when it gets here. The tubes are a new thing to me so Im going to have to do a little research on what the criteria is for swapping those out.

Reactions: Brian English
I got an order in for a Fender Twin 65' reissue 60th anniversary (775$). I think that puts it in the 2006 area. Apparently it has been recently serviced. I will give it a quick run through when it gets here. The tubes are a new thing to me so Im going to have to do a little research on what the criteria is for swapping those out.
Nice Ben ...decent price ....you may like what is in it for tubes so a swap may not be needed . The users will tell you if tubes need to be changed ....enjoy :)