First hands on experience with the new “Behringer X32 Rack”! Pictures included...

May 18, 2012
Well – it’s carnival, mardi gras or as we called it over here in Germany “Karneval”.
Myself is settled in the heartland of Germanys carnival region No. 1 and of course there are plenty of mixing jobs to do during this time. But the rules of mixing are quite different to gigs apart from the carnival time.
"Welcome to combat audio" – where only the strongest gear, musicians and soundguys will successfully complete the jobs;-)

There are common stereotypes about Germans. We are believed to be punctual, loyal and faithful, reputable and polite. This might be halfway true for the rest of the year, but carnival in the low rhine area is the complete opposite! Under the motto “In absentia of all common sense” – working as a soundguy can be really tough in these days. So, I had some of these combat audio jobs on my schedule and was thinking about the right mixer for these gigs. One golden rule, when doing gigs during carnival: NEVER set up your FoH in the middle of the audience! You and your gear will be overrun by the drunken mob in no time. So “remote mixing “ is the way to go and I thought:

This would be a nice job for a X32 Rack or X32 Core!

So I called my friends at Behringer R&D and bum a X32 Rack for a week:) I planned to do four Jobs with it. I prepared a rack with the X32 Rack and one S16 (for one job I needed 28 inputs!), one D-Link wireless router, an old IBM T60 thinkpad running XControl and my iPad I with XiControl. I prepared all shows beforehand and went straight into combat audio.

Gig No.1
Straight story: One punk-rock-coverband, one DJ and one cheesy all round entertainer in a 200pax club. Too bad the promoter thought it would be an awesome idea to sell 340 tickets! The term “crowded” is a first class euphemism in this context. So I mixed the first set with my iPad in the crowd but did all the other sets on stage with the XControl on my Thinkpad. First class chaos :) In addition, I had just one hour to set up everything (soundcheck included). I can asure, that “my stages” normally do not look that messy…but like I said: carnival has it’s own rules. This goes for the drinking attitude too. Yes, Germans like beer and they drink a lot of it during carnival. This night the audience and the band drunk themselves into an another dimension. I remember one guy was dressed up as a cook and he had this giant wooden spoon. The drummer took this spoon and played a drum solo with it…you get the picture. Anyway – nobody was hurt and the X32 Rack performed very well. The only downside was, that the range of my iPad was dramatically shortened, when the audience took over the place in no time like a zombie mob…”the walking deaf” so to say:)
Some pics:

549215_212812515525965_1098409786_n.jpg
One iPad to rule them all

DSC_0008.JPG
The X32Rack-Rack

DSC_0062.JPG
Rack'n'Roll

DSC_0074.JPG
cooking spoon drum solo:)

Gig No.2
Next day a similar job, just in a bigger dimension. Top40 Band with 28 inputs in a 1000pax sold out hall. They came with an own monitormixer & splitters, so that I had just to drive two flow wedges from the X32 Rack and one drum wedge (if the InEar ever fails). Again, no way to set up a FoH in the crowd. So I did soundcheck with the iPad in the hall and mixed the show on headphones and the Thinkpad with XControl. I had six channels of keyboards and had to use the SOLO function often, just to see which keyboard plays what sound. To be quick enough, I routed each keyboard player to a dedicated DCA group and left the DCA view on the iPad always open. Sometimes I used X- and XiControl simultaneously and I’m still surprised how well that worked.

As a side note: There was also a DJ Team this night, and guess what mixer they used for their stuff-->

DSC_0014.JPG

The show was great and sounded well, at least this is what some friendly souls in the audience told me. The X32Rack performed flawlessly as well, but the endurance test is still to come.

DSC_0005.JPG

mixing world

DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0043.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

More in a second posting...

Last edited:
Re: First hands on experience with the new “Behringer X32 Rack”! Pictures included..

Gig No.3&4
What is carnival without a proper parade? So the band from gig #1 played on their own carnival float, two days in a row. The fun was…on both days the temperatures were 2 degrees below zero. Together with a strong wind it was so cold, that even the beer on the float started to freeze. The float itself had a serious pa system that was again driven by the X32Rack and a big generator. Of course the generator stopped working during the show twice, because we were running out of gas. But it didn’t harm the gear. In addition the X32Rack worked perfectly even below zero and with a generator on both days, so that it is safe to say, that the new X32 stuff will perform at least as good as the regular X32 console.
Well done Behringer!

DSC_0067.JPG

DSC_0073.JPG
You are right...these are beer taps:)

DSC_0085.JPG
Carnival is the new love parade...there were partially insane pa rigs on the floats

DSC_0148.JPG
Several tenthousand people came to the local canival parades

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG
The band

DSC_0056.JPG
The backline

During the days of faderless mixing I can say that I enjoyed the ride, but I ran into some minor downsides, that I don’t want to conceal. Please keep in mind, that this my very own view of this topic.
What I would like to see in future updates:

+ The iPad range of my iPad I seems to be limited. The useable range was immediately shortened, when the people rushed in. The room was so packed, that I had only a useable range of about eight meters left. I have no idea what can be done to archive better results, maybe I need a better router?

+ On the X32 console itself, I don’t need meters in the DCA section, but when mixing soley with the iPad, it is quite odd, when you select the DCA page and you don’t see any metering at all. I know, that is how DCA or VCAs work by nature, but it would be helpful to have a virtual metering for DCAs, at least on the XiControl.

+ At least one tap tempo button and one mutegroup button ( as „Panic“ button for the mix sends of the floor wedges) always on top in the XiControl, that would be also nice to have.

+ Resizable GUI of the XControl would be great, or at least an alternative bigger Full HD version.

My personal conclusion:
Mixing without faders is absolutely possible, but it might be not for everyone. I have a SAC and recording studio background, so I’m used to do sound with Mouse and Keyboard only. The nice thing with the X32 gear is, that you can mix bigger shows simultaneously with the X- and the XiControl. This speeds up the workflow and it is quite safe too. If the laptop or the iPad fails, you have always one interface left. During my days with the X32 Rack I mixed sets solely on the XControl or the XiControl. Both is doable, but you have to embrace the software or at least learn to love it. Ok, I won’t do a festival with it, but for smaller set ups or repetitive events (same band) it works really well in the present development status in my eyes. In addition, I’m quite sure, that there is more to come from Behringer, which will enhance this topic a bit further. I would be nice, if someday you could hook up one Behringer BCF 2000 faderpack to the XControl and lock it to the eight virtual DCA faders. Than even bigger show won’t be a problem. But this whole topic is quite subjective – you better check this out for yourself.

Anyway, I will buy a X32Rack or Core unit right away, when they are available. F.e. I do about 35-40 shows per year with one band that has only 16 inputs and four monitor feeds, so a X32rack or one X32 Core + one S16 (that I already own) would be enough. I know their set list inside out, so no faders needed. In addition, I can use a X32Rack or Core in the studio as well or as a backup system for my X32 Console.
The last five days were quit stressful in terms of working and weather conditions, but the X32Rack was the perfect solution for events like these and it is good to see, that this thing is already running flawlessly.
So small but so powerful – check it out, when it is available!

Helau & Rack’n‘Roll
Christian

Last edited:
Re: First hands on experience with the new “Behringer X32 Rack”! Pictures included..

<snip>
+ The iPad range of my iPad I seems to be limited. The useable range was immediately shortened, when the people rushed in. The room was so packed, that I had only a useable range of about eight meters left. I have no idea what can be done to archive better results, maybe I need a better router?

I would assume that the range shortening is not caused by the bodies filling the room, but the 100+ cell phones with WiFi activated that is likely to populate a room when a crowd is present.
The solution? Not sure yet, but I suspect that our toys will be rendered more and more useless as the months go by, already 2.4 GHz microphones seems a waste of money, and I suspect iPads might end up as a tool for set-up and soundcheck with wired net the only viable option for live performance use. Hope I'm wrong.

The best way to improve wifi is use 5ghz as currently most of the cell phones won't be using that frequency range and you tend to avoid interference from other networks. Directional antennas make a big difference, as does height. Get the wifi antenna well above head height will help you in range.

Another trick I've used is to put an access point out front linked with a powerline network. That way you get remote coverage out where you need it.

Thanks Matt,
will consider this. I used a D Link DIR815, which has both 2,4 and 5GHz. Sadly you can't change the antennas on it, so I might have to purchase something else.
I have very little experience to the whole "router-topic", sure I can make it work, but that's pretty much it.

I asked around what gear other technicians use when they are mixing with the iPad and nearly everyone is telling me something different:-(
The optional antennas sounds reasonable to me, but the strange thing was that the bargraph about the wifi connection on the iPad looked really good and still I lost my connection from time to time.
Maybe Per is right, that there is some kind of modulation through the smart phones of the audience...?

Christian

Great post Christian!

I use a Belkin N series router witch is pretty good with way better signal strength than my old D-Link 655.

Oh, and your "One iPad to rule them all" photo/comment almost made me fall of my chair! :lol:

Last edited:

If you are using Apple products and looking for a WAP and don't choose the excellent Airport APs, I think you are being foolish. It is the next best thing to a "real" WAP by Cisco or other enterprise brand, and while it is indeed 2x the price of your average decent AP there is a reason for that in my experience. There are many side benefits as well, but real world (read: congested environment) radio performance is outstanding. Dual radios mean you can use the 5GHz space as well, without getting bogged down by 2.4GHz devices.

If you are using Apple products and looking for a WAP and don't choose the excellent Airport APs, I think you are being foolish. It is the next best thing to a "real" WAP by Cisco or other enterprise brand, and while it is indeed 2x the price of your average decent AP there is a reason for that in my experience. There are many side benefits as well, but real world (read: congested environment) radio performance is outstanding. Dual radios mean you can use the 5GHz space as well, without getting bogged down by 2.4GHz devices.

Bennett talked me into ordering 3x Expresses this past weekend. They run about $100 new or $70 used.

I would assume that the range shortening is not caused by the bodies filling the room, but the 100+ cell phones with WiFi activated that is likely to populate a room when a crowd is present.

Hell you better believe it.

In a public space at my place of employment we have what many think are the best WiFi boxes that money can buy for this sort of use, the Xirrus arrays.

A few people in the room with the mobile phone in hotspot mode decimates the performance of the system.

I believe you can lock your wireless router to 5Ghz only which should keep you above the fray when the mob of 2.4Ghz cell phone traffic walks in ;)

Oh, and thanks for the great preview of the X32 Rack. I am currently debating between either the X32 rack or the X32 Performer.

Decisions decisions!

Bennett, I ASSume you are referring to the Airport Extreme? If not, which units?

I'm all MacBook Pro and iPad and I've avoided the Apple routers only because they supposedly didn't rate as well in the speed and range areas as some of the other offerings reviewed in some of the geekboy rags. If this isn't the case, I'm headed to Best Buy for an Airport Extreme on the way home from work!

And this after a frustrating four days with an Si Compact and its near-worthless iPad app. It's a hell of a note when you start missing your M7 (ours is out on a short-term rental)...:eek:))

Thanx,
Geri O

Bennett, I ASSume you are referring to the Airport Extreme? If not, which units?

I'm all MacBook Pro and iPad and I've avoided the Apple routers only because they supposedly didn't rate as well in the speed and range areas as some of the other offerings reviewed in some of the geekboy rags. If this isn't the case, I'm headed to Best Buy for an Airport Extreme on the way home from work!

And this after a frustrating four days with an Si Compact and its near-worthless iPad app. It's a hell of a note when you start missing your M7 (ours is out on a short-term rental)...:eek:))

Thanx,
Geri O

Geri,

I wouldn't waste your time with the Airport Extreme. We have a few that we use for trade shows. I'm a much bigger fan of the nice Linksys EA4500 I bought to use at home. Yes, it was about $130 or so, but I can actually connect to it with a web browser and adjust the settings in it as I see fit. My Linksys has dual radios and a bunch of antennas in it. It can connect on both the 5GHz and 2.4GHz simultaneously. I would not hesitate to buy a newer version of the same thing.

The Airport Extreme is fine for use at home, but don't plan on doing anything "unusual" with it... they are a pain to use and you will have to allow everything to use AutoIP since you can't use the DHCP server if it isn't attached to the internet (WTF???)

Geri,

I've had great experiences with both the Airport Extreme and the Airport Express. Both are dual radio, and integrate especially well with my other Apple products. I have had weird issues with every cheaper AP I've ever used in production work. I would mainly caution you not to consider anything in the $50 range, I just happen to use the Airports but I'm sure there are other good higher end APs.

Geri,

I've had great experiences with both the Airport Extreme and the Airport Express. Both are dual radio, and integrate especially well with my other Apple products. I have had weird issues with every cheaper AP I've ever used in production work. I would mainly caution you not to consider anything in the $50 range, I just happen to use the Airports but I'm sure there are other good higher end APs.

Josh and Bennett,

My last 4 routers have been the $150+ Netgear and Cisco units and while they have all served me pretty well (even the Netgear units, no weirdness like I've read about), I keep seeing Apple folks saying how they are having better overall better luck with the Extreme when matched to their Macbook Pro or iPad or whatever. I actually still have all of those routers (and all the routers on our shows have been mine, I haven't gotten around to getting reimbursed for them yet). I went out and bought an Extreme last night and I'm about to set it up with the Si Compact. Guess we'll see what happens...

Thanx, ya'll...

Geri O

Hey, Geri. Wondering how th Extreme worked out with the Si Compact?

Hi, Steve. It's worked out really well with the Si Compact as well as the M7 and the CL5s. I stay in the 5gHz range and so far, I haven't noticed that I have less range than playing in the 2.4 range, but I haven't pushed the envelope just yet on the range. After some reading here today, I think I'm gonna set the radio to 5gHz only and see if I get bit.

On the Airport Extreme, I did have to change its IP address range from its standard 10.x.x.xxx to the usual 192.168.x.xxx in order to make it play along with the Yamahas, but the Si Compact still played right along, too. I'm interested in comments about that little exercise, if anyone cares to...

About the Si, it feels like, to me anyway, that the iPad app connection is, shall we say, fragile...meaning it just doesn't stay connected as solidly as the Yamaha stuff. I've used four other Netgear routers, an older Linksys G router, and the Airport Extreme, and I get the same results will all of them. It's connected and working for a good while, then it stops working, even though it shows connected. I then let the app find the Si and sync back up to it. It all happens quickly, but still a little disheartening, especially when an artist is requesting an adjustment in the monitors (our usual Si set-up with local bands is the Si at FOH, then someone on the deck with an iPad handling monitors, which is about all the app is good for).

Hope you are well, and take care,
Geri O

X32 Rack - ladies and gentlemen - place your orders now !!

Hello folks

I am sure many of you are interested to hear, that I just placed an order for one unit at Musikhaus Thomann - 1047.58 EUR + tax - available sometimes..........

Last year I got my X32 on wednesday after world release on friday - hope it goes as well this time. :lol:

Re: X32 Rack - ladies and gentlemen - place your orders now !!

Hello folks

I am sure many of you are interested to hear, that I just placed an order for one unit at Musikhaus Thomann - 1047.58 EUR + tax - available sometimes..........

Last year I got my X32 on wednesday after world release on friday - hope it goes as well this time. :lol:

When are you thinking the "world release" happens for the X32 Rack?