Fold up Stage Front?

John Chiara

Senior
Jan 11, 2011
Troy, NY
Constructing a 24x12 wood stage in a 400 cap room at a local club. The 12' depth is part of a virtual room division but I would like to include a stage front 'cover' in 8' sections that would be hinged at the top as to flip up and provide an extra 2' or so on the front sections for room for wedges..etc...if needed. Wondering about a simple and safe method for securing legs in place to hold up these sections when extended. Ideas?

Re: Fold up Stage Front?

How about ridgid black pipes, screwed into pipe flange mounts. Flange mounts are bolted to stage bottom. Legs are then removable as needed? Home depot or most hardware stores can cut/thread to exact custom lengths. (If I'm following you correctly, that is...)

How about ridgid black pipes, screwed into pipe flange mounts. Flange mounts are bolted to stage bottom. Legs are then removable as needed? Home depot or most hardware stores can cut/thread to exact custom lengths. (If I'm following you correctly, that is...)

Threaded flanges are pretty bad in side loading, and threads can wear. If I were to go that route, I'd use some of the structural pipe fittings (Kee-Klamp, Speed-rail, or similar). Cross-bracing on the pipe legs is also a good idea, especially once you get over ~2'.

Could always go the old stud wall method and just bolt things together as they are needed, and store them under the front of the stage. Probably more weight and set up time than you want, however.

I got my start in the theatrical world, but I built things the old and heavy way. Still do, actually, but I'm too busy with acoustics and photometrics to worry about platform type A or B most times nowadays. What is the current plan for stage construction?

Could always go the old stud wall method and just bolt things together as they are needed, and store them under the front of the stage. Probably more weight and set up time than you want, however.

I got my start in the theatrical world, but I built things the old and heavy way. Still do, actually, but I'm too busy with acoustics and photometrics to worry about platform type A or B most times nowadays. What is the current plan for stage construction?

A basic deck setup...2x6's..4x4's and multi layer top. Probably in 4x8' sections.

A basic deck setup...2x6's..4x4's and multi layer top. Probably in 4x8' sections.

Yep, that's the old and heavy way - though I use 2x4 frame and legs if I'm doing it that way. I really liked some of the other methods I've seen and tried, but for your use I guess you could build a 2 foot long plaform, hinge the edge and cut out a section so it would fit in with the 2x4, and leave just let the legs hinge. If you want, I can draw that up - it'd be clearer than the sentence I just wrote.

Yep, that's the old and heavy way - though I use 2x4 frame and legs if I'm doing it that way. I really liked some of the other methods I've seen and tried, but for your use I guess you could build a 2 foot long plaform, hinge the edge and cut out a section so it would fit in with the 2x4, and leave just let the legs hinge. If you want, I can draw that up - it'd be clearer than the sentence I just wrote.
Could you Max? Very helpful!
Thanks!

Could you Max? Very helpful!
Thanks!

KIMG0361.jpg

It's not a perfect drawing, but you get the idea. The legs are the least of your concern IMO, as there is a number of different ways it can be done, and each of them is just as good as another. Comes down to personal preference, tbh.

Oh and please ignore my stupidity when it comes to the hinged leg. It's wrong in so many ways.