Fulcrum Acoustic FA12, FA15 and FA28 (1 of 4)

Re: Fulcrum Acoustic FA12, FA15 and FA28 (1 of 4)

Lang,

I wonder if you need a different preset in the case of running those amps at different sample rates? Due to Nyquist error most DSPs behave differently above 10kHz depending on sample rate.

-edit- sorry to dig up an old thread!

Hi Bennett!

I'm a bit confused.

Nyquist error? 10k?

I could be misunderstanding you, but I assume DSP's, like all modern converters, are many times (at least 128x) oversampling, thus pushing the antialiasing filter and its effects way out of the hearing range... this causes most converters to be ~±.07dB from 20hz to 20k....

The advantages of high sample rates are frequently overstated in this manner. The main benefits I see to higher sample rates in live sound gear is the unintuitive lower I/O latency.

Please fill me in if I'm missing something!

Also, what is the ballpark price on the FA12 and FA15? I know its common to say if you have to ask, its too expensive for you, but I am looking into some high end wedges and am very interested in these from Langston's excellent review.

Last edited:

Also, what is the ballpark price on the FA12 and FA15? I know its common to say if you have to ask, its too expensive for you, but I am looking into some high end wedges and am very interested in these from Langston's excellent review.

Mike - List price on the FA12 and FA15 is $2125 and $2415 respectively. Actual price varies by dealer. At this point, the most budget friendly "Level 1" processing is Symetrix Jupiter. Their 8x8 MAPs at $1199.

Grant

Mike - List price on the FA12 and FA15 is $2125 and $2415 respectively. Actual price varies by dealer. At this point, the most budget friendly "Level 1" processing is Symetrix Jupiter. Their 8x8 MAPs at $1199.

Grant

Thanks Grant!

I'm a bit confused.

Nyquist error? 10k?

I could be misunderstanding you, but I assume DSP's, like all modern converters, are many times (at least 128x) oversampling, thus pushing the antialiasing filter and its effects way out of the hearing range... this causes most converters to be ~±.07dB from 20hz to 20k....

The advantages of high sample rates are frequently overstated in this manner. The main benefits I see to higher sample rates in live sound gear is the unintuitive lower I/O latency.

Please fill me in if I'm missing something!

Mike,

The converter is flat, but the filters don't behave the way you'd think up there. See these slides from a presentation I gave on this topic last year:

http://bennettprescott.com/downloads/DSP_Differences.pdf