Fulcrum Acoustics New Active Powered FA Series Review

Jerry Laskin

Freshman
Jan 31, 2013
Without a doubt I have yet to hear anything this musical, distortion/feedback free, super loud with the most amazing clarity. If money were no object, I'd even use these for my home stereo! They're also extremely lightweight birch baltic based cabs with excellent low frequency response in full range compared to the much heavier Meyer and other high priced heavyweight contenders.

Personally I would go with the FA-15AC and not the FA-12AC active powered highs for the added low frequency spectrum in a similar weight. This adds more versatility with and without a sub. And speaking of subs, I had the pleasure of listening to their matching subs specifically the TS-215 in an equally lightweight package considering you get a double 15 cab in a 114 lb package. While sounding low and punchy, they did not have enough SPL to keep up with the dual powered Powersoft 1050 Watts ea. of the top 2 drivers on the highs, coaxial drivers I might add! The subs unfortunately lose steam in a moderately sized room. I'm sure the double 21"s TS-221 series will definitely do the trick, but at 200 lbs, I opted for the very powerful, punchy and compact size of the RCF 4Pro8003AS as a more suitable and equally portable sub to complement the FA-15AC I plan to purchase. I'm hoping Fulcrum is considering adding 18" based subs in the not so distant future to their arsenal. I would be very interested in this winning combo when that hopefully occurs!

Also worth mentioning with equally high accolades is the very sweet sounding and very compact at only 33 lbs Fulcrum Acoustic FA-28AC with double 8" drivers for the best sounding punch I've ever heard out of a tiny speaker. These would make amazing monitors or even as highs when used in conjunction with subs for those events a larger based high are totally unnecessary. Effortlessly, they easily handle loud MCing as we both tested our music together with wireless microphone on all FA highs and they were almost equally identical in both clarity and punch.

For the money, you're getting a very well made US manufactured product with excellent local customer support combined with outstanding well made Italian B & C drivers and Powersoft dual powered 1050 Watt amps. I've been told by Silas at Concerts Limited LLC in Columbia, CT who I had the pleasure of demoing these amazing new speakers, that although a separate repair facility has long been established for Fulcrum , they have yet to receive any issues or repairs needed on both passive and now active versions of their speakers. Compared to a backlog of speakers sitting on shelves for months waiting for parts as I had witnessed at the RCF warehouse and facility in Edison, NJ, Fulcrum has no competition when it comes to both an amazing product with equally outstanding customer support which is an award winning combination by far in our mobile DJ industry.i

Re: Fulcrum Acoustics New Active Powered FA Series Review

This further reinforces why I like powered speakers... it lets the design engineer dial in everything about the system for best performance. The only thing left to screw up is where you place them in the room... :)

JR

I couldn't agree more :) Thanks for reading my review! Budget permitting of course I can't wait to invest in this new innovative line of very well made coaxial based highs.

By the description they sound like the new Presonus StudioLive series, any similarities?

PreSonus Partners with Fulcrum Acoustic to Create Cutting-Edge Speaker Systems: PreSonus | Press Releases - PreSonus Partners with Fulcrum Acoustic to Create Cutting-Edge Speaker Systems

PreSonus | StudioLive 328AI

PreSonus | StudioLive 18sAI

Yes and no. The Fulcrum Acoustic stuff is the real-deal, premium-component, made in the USA stuff, whereas the Presonus stuff is designed by the same people but manufactured in...you know where.

The Fulcrum stuff and the Presonus is voiced similarly, but the Fulcrum stuff blows the Presonus out of the water in every comparison except price.

Interesting partnership! I'm particularly interested to hear more about the 18" active subs which Fulcrums lacks in their FA series arsenal. Are these subs also being partnered through Fulcrum or only the highs? The highs are only offered in 8" drivers as compared to the 8"-15" offerings in Fulcrum's new active FA series. Similar but not exactly the same as the extended offerings from Fulcrum it seems for now at least.

Yes and no. The Fulcrum Acoustic stuff is the real-deal, premium-component, made in the USA stuff, whereas the Presonus stuff is designed by the same people but manufactured in...you know where.
Interesting... Is the Presonus designed to deliver lower performance, or is your judgement that is a consequence of where it is assembled?
The Fulcrum stuff and the Presonus is voiced similarly, but the Fulcrum stuff blows the Presonus out of the water in every comparison except price.

Performance numbers won't lie... I would prefer my speaker company to do more than just buy a design from good outside engineers and contract them built offshore. While that sure seems better than not using a design from good engineers, building them expensively, and expecting to magically gain market share. There needs to be some merchandising benefit to justify a products success. They appear to be targeting "good for less".

The good design, with low cost assembly, is a well proved business model, while it still requires discipline in the component sourcing, and manufacturing process management, not trivial for non-speaker guys, managing activity thousands of miles away.

JR

Interesting partnership! I'm particularly interested to hear more about the 18" active subs which Fulcrums lacks in their FA series arsenal. Are these subs also being partnered through Fulcrum or only the highs? The highs are only offered in 8" drivers as compared to the 8"-15" offerings in Fulcrum's new active FA series. Similar but not exactly the same as the extended offerings from Fulcrum it seems for now at least.

Good question, the tops specifically state they were designed with Fulcrum, the sub does not.

Full PreSonus line for reference:

PreSonus | StudioLive 18sAI

PreSonus | StudioLive 312AI

PreSonus | StudioLive 315AI

PreSonus | StudioLive 328AI

I am admittedly a JV ankle biter and mainly into sound for my own band. I'm really interested to hear the Presonus offerings since cost is more of an issue for me.

Last edited:
Also interesting to note is the lack of more specifics on Presonus' site with regards to sizing and weight of these new active subs and highs in addition to both source and type of drivers as well as built in amp modules.

Quick followup to my review. While making mention as well in our recent commentary the importance of good customer support especially when it comes to speaker repairs while visiting RCF's Edison, NJ facility, i would also like to add how responsive and equally attentive they were with us specifically Mike who oversees inventory and product support. Upon purchasing our 4Pro8003AS subs, Mike fully tested each speaker personally prior to helping us load them in our vehicle, in addition to swapping out with a brand new model i might add an NXM10-A monitor we had brought in for repair. Amazing followup literally a day before our weekend blizzard hit the Northeast, RCF replaced our speaker just in time for our busy weekend of events to entertain. Thank you Mike and the support team at RCF! We're very happy to have your facility close to home here in The Big Apple!

Is Presonus doing the same thing as Yorkville is with Tom Danley's tech/design/components?

So the Personus speakers are now available and you have done a direct comparison between them and the Fulcrum?

So the Personus speakers are now available and you have done a direct comparison between them and the Fulcrum?

They are not available yet and will not be for a few months at least.

Let's just say, I've heard both boxes, but I can't tell you any more than I have.

It's pretty obvious though that a speaker built with mid-level Chinese components will not come close to one built with top-end B&C drivers and Powersoft amp modules. The price and sound clearly reflect the differences. And Dave would not have designed a product for another manufacturer that would be direct competition with his own products. :roll:

I am not saying that the Presonus product is bad - it will probably be one of the strongest performers in the price range. I will be purchasing a bunch for production inventory once they're available

Disclaimer: I'm both a Presonus and a Fulcrum Acoustic dealer.

I'm the furthest from someone being paid to write about something I've enjoyed listening to very much :). When i enjoy a product i let be known. i appreciate sharing and reading different points of view. I've been keeping my old EAW passive system alive in a mobile industry full of low priced and not so stellar to the ear active powered speakers. While I'm not into breaking the bank for a pricier than usual investment, judging by how long I enjoy using a good reliable product, I'd be more inclined to invest in a product that although costs more, lives up to its reputation and review of a speaker that has both excellent local customer support and followup tied with long term reliable sounding acoustics. This has aways been my way. I look forward to hearing as well as providing the best possible sound to clients who actually appreciate good sound. And despite the naysayers out there, I know from experience there are clients who do still appreciate good acoustics and yes even at louder SPL provided they indeed sound as good at all discernable levels.
Fulcrum is definitely the successor to my indestructible EAW's. I like Turbosound as well specifically the second hand pair of amazing sounding lightweight NUQ15DP', if only they had more availability, better recognition and equally reliable customer support here in the states.

According to someone involved, the Presonus speakers were designed to meet a price point. FA speakers are designed to meet a performance point. I have not heard the Presonus speakers yet. I own 4 FA12 and 2 TS215. I want more. Mine are not the powered versions. They are powered by Powersoft K2 and K3 amps. I prefer passive monitors. The output processing of the Powersoft amps are locked out by the Fulcrum presets.

Let's just say, I've heard both boxes, but I can't tell you any more than I have.

It's pretty obvious though that a speaker built with mid-level Chinese components will not come close to one built with top-end B&C drivers and Powersoft amp modules. The price and sound clearly reflect the differences. And Dave would not have designed a product for another manufacturer that would be direct competition with his own products. :roll:

I am not saying that the Presonus product is bad - it will probably be one of the strongest performers in the price range. I will be purchasing a bunch for production inventory once they're available

Disclaimer: I'm both a Presonus and a Fulcrum Acoustic dealer.

And this is why I kinda wish F-A had not done this for Presonus. Presonus is really muddying the waters where professional tools are concerned. Their partnership with Rational Acoustics is equally disturbing. After all the effort some of us (including Rational Acoustics) go to in educating people, Presonus deliberately tries to destroy it with their misleading "shoot the room" lingo. People are led to believe that they are buying something close to the real deal, and many of these consumers wouldn't know where to put the microphone to determine a delay time, or why they did so, much less understand the limitations of the Presonus version of Smaart.

The Presonus tops are all based on an 8"/1.75" mid/high device. There's not a 3" compression driver to be found, so there's more in favor of using the Fulcrum product. Don't get me wrong, I might spec the Presonus speakers where there are budgetary limitations, but when I do, both me and my customers will have our eyes wide open.

Grant

Last edited:

Also interesting to note is the lack of more specifics on Presonus' site with regards to sizing and weight of these new active subs and highs in addition to both source and type of drivers as well as built in amp modules.

Don't get so suspicious. While we dealers have the price lists, we do not have a firm ship date yet. PreSonus is also working on a new website. It might be that all of the final specs does not make it to the old site at all. Try not to think to much into things and just make a judgement when you have them in front of you.

Some people will bash because of the name, and like Gearslutz, many will cast an opinion with no experience because they are so busy hitting the forums rather than making money working.

And this is why I kinda wish F-A had not done this for Presonus. Presonus is really muddying the waters where professional tools are concerned. Their partnership with Rational Acoustics is equally disturbing. After all the effort some of us (including Rational Acoustics) go to in educating people, Presonus deliberately tries to destroy it with their misleading "shoot the room" lingo. People are led to believe that they are buying something close to the real deal, and many of these consumers wouldn't know where to put the microphone to determine a delay time, or why they did so, much less understand the limitations of the Presonus version of Smaart.

The Presonus tops are all based on an 8"/1.75" mid/high device. There's not a 3" compression driver to be found, so there's more in favor of using the Fulcrum product. Don't get me wrong, I might spec the Presonus speakers where there are budgetary limitations, but when I do, both me and my customers will have our eyes wide open.

Grant

I hate to tell you this but there is no pro line in the sand anymore. All of the components in the pro stuff are in iPads and Kindle Fires. The opertaing systems are on everybody else's computers. The same plugs are used by people in bedrooms. The same mics are used in garages. The only difference is the marketing budget and industry alliances. Look at what happened to recording years ago when ADATs and Mackie 8 busses hit the scene. Wham! People like Queensryche made HUGE selling records without pro studios, pro tools, etc. It is not what you have but how you implement it.

PreSonus is not making pro tech rider gear. Come on. I think what you should be saying is that you hate to be a pro, forced to work in PreSonus' marketplace. Well my friend, there are more of those people than there are pros on big tours. Thank God for them. That is how I make my money. I never sell anything to major artists/tours.

Don't get so suspicious. While we dealers have the price lists, we do not have a firm ship date yet. PreSonus is also working on a new website. It might be that all of the final specs does not make it to the old site at all. Try not to think to much into things and just make a judgement when you have them in front of you.

Some people will bash because of the name, and like Gearslutz, many will cast an opinion with no experience because they are so busy hitting the forums rather than making money working.

Actually there are no specs because they aren't done yet...

Sent from my XT907 2