Funny

harrybrilljr

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Central Florida
A rep from this company started marketing to me, trying to get my business. Real nice guy. HOME - NationWide Disc
I couldn't help but ask him what is a CD. I know Texas is in a bubble but are they really that far behind? Apparently they have clients that are looking to "make a CD" and they find them but need help on the engineering and studio side so they are making a db. I kind of feel bad for the guy because I have a feeling he may well be successful at steering traffic away from their business but I don't see it going the other way. What say you? Am I the only one that forgot about CD (and doesn't want to remember)?

Re: Funny

I still buy all my music on cd's. Call me old fashioned but nothing beats a hard copy and anyway id you want a copy for the computer/mp3 player just rip it. A CD is better sound quality than an mp3 anyway. A CD also gives you the pleasure of getting something physical for your money that can't accidentally be deleted.

Though i did get the new OMD albums on vinyl so it could just be me and my old ways (even though I am not in anyway old).

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625

I buy CDs, mostly because I'm still too young for the credit card account necessary to use iTunes, but also because if it's worth buying on a CD, it'll have to be validly good music, and thus verifies the cost. Also, I have a beef with MP3 right now.

Though i did get the new OMD albums on vinyl so it could just be me and my old ways (even though I am not in anyway old).

Just be aware (and this is straight from the guys at MasterDisk) that nobody is cutting vinyl off analog masters. So you're listening to a digital mix, likely digitally mastered, that has been cut to vinyl. Sure, it is likely the best vinyl you can get since it is the first generation, but if you're looking for pristine sound you're much better off paying close attention to your converters and getting a high bit depth file.

I know that, but as I got my record player for nowt and got a cd copy free with both albums I thought. Hey might as well get it on record as well. In all fairness the sound quality between the two (when played on the same hi-fi with an old late 80's cd multichanger and technics belt drive turntable) is not that different.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625

Oh man... dude... do NOT let the Hi Futility types hear you say that!!! LoL!!! They will string you up for blasphemy!
Well my ears and my semi decent Hi-Fi (Technics SA-X900L Cassette receiver, SL-J90 turntable, SONY CDP-C311M CD Changer, SANSUI S-U2200) they do, but then it's not a £10,000+ audiophile system so I might be missing something.

Am I the only one that forgot about CD (and doesn't want to remember)?
Although my CD library is (mostly) converted to iTunes, and most well known artists can be downloaded, CD sales at gigs still can be a decent source of income for artists. Small time artists are not likely to have their stuff on iTunes, and can get more money selling a CD direct.
People are still more likely to buy a CD at a gig than a thumb drive or a password to get a download, they can leave with something that seems "real", and transfer it when they feel like it.

Although my CD library is (mostly) converted to iTunes, and most well known artists can be downloaded, CD sales at gigs still can be a decent source of income for artists. Small time artists are not likely to have their stuff on iTunes, and can get more money selling a CD direct.
People are still more likely to buy a CD at a gig than a thumb drive or a password to get a download, they can leave with something that seems "real", and transfer it when they feel like it.

I still have all my CD's. Records too for that matter. When I find something I like, I usually buy the disc for the permanant storage aspect. Then I dump to I tunes for playback.

Small time artists are not likely to have their stuff on iTunes, and can get more money selling a CD direct.

Regarding iTunes, it is pretty simple to get your music on there, the easiest being to use an aggregator service, for example reverbnation, cdbaby, tunecore, etc. CDBaby for instance is a flat one time fee of $49 per album, which is peanuts when considering the cost to do a recording project.

I do totally agree with the CD as a show merch item though. I would prefer the physical disc just to have the liner notes etc... I enjoy seeing the credits etc.

I will always buy CDs and avoid mp3 or other compressed files when possible. I read an article the other day that said the industry is trying to figure out which HD format to use; in the interim, I'll continue to go with CDs. Like others have said, it's a hardcopy that I can rip to mp3 if needed. Otherwise, I appreciate the much higher quality over the typical compressed file.

I got rid of most of my vinyl, though still have about 200 albums. I just picked up a clean Dual TT and will get reacquainted with albums I haven't listened to in about 20 years. By the way, my Mannheim Steamroller Fresh Aire series records sound considerable better than the CD versions and IIRC the masters are digital. Need to verify that, though.

I get the Vinyl thing. As for the quality. Check out HD Tracks. If something comes out that I want (unlikely) I buy it there. 96k 24bit.

Depending on the material, it's hard to know in advance if the 24/96 file on HD Tracks is the best available mastering. Or rather, having 24/96 is no guarantee of best sound quality. The mastering can be more important than the format, a sympathetic 16/44.1 transfer could be better than a 24/96 that the mastering engineer squashed to death.

At least with a CD (or LP) you stand a chance of knowing what you're getting if you know what to look for.

Just be aware (and this is straight from the guys at MasterDisk) that nobody is cutting vinyl off analog masters. So you're listening to a digital mix, likely digitally mastered, that has been cut to vinyl. Sure, it is likely the best vinyl you can get since it is the first generation, but if you're looking for pristine sound you're much better off paying close attention to your converters and getting a high bit depth file.

To expand on this a little further, as one of my close friends is a working studio engineer (http://www.andyfreemanaudio.com/ if you want to check out some of his work). When the budget and knowledge is there, people will make multiple masters. There will be an iTunes centric master, a Radio/XM master, a CD master, and a vinyl master. Each of these is tweaked slightly differently for the format/listening case.

In the mid-2000s, when the loudness wars were at their peak, the savvy radio masters were actually cut quieter to avoid the AGC kicking in on the radio multi-band limiters. You'll still hear the AGC effect commonly on the radio today, especially on "modern rock" stations. The verses are louder than the choruses, because the limiting is so severe on the incoming track choruses, that the broadcast limiter "gives up" on conventional limiting, and resorts to the volume knob via AGC.

Vinyl is a pretty limited format technically, and some of its unique limitations result can result in more care from the master -> pressing process. Its my personal conviction that most of the sonic upside that can be had from vinyl is a function of people being careful about its limitations. Unfortunately, that care is increasingly sparse among people who are releasing vinyl.

Vinyl is a pretty limited format technically, and some of its unique limitations result can result in more care from the master -> pressing process. Its my personal conviction that most of the sonic upside that can be had from vinyl is a function of people being careful about its limitations. Unfortunately, that care is increasingly sparse among people who are releasing vinyl.

Another interesting tidbit I learned from Scott Hull: There are only two shops in the world he would trust to press vinyl. So if you think your vinyl sucks, it may not just be the mix or the master. If you think your vinyl is good, you might be wrong ;) Limitations of a physical medium.