Getting started...need advice

Peter Barton

Nov 14, 2018
Bangkok
I am new to this but I am eager to learn. My daughter is the one with the musical talent, she is the frontwoman for a band. This is a HS aged band and they are doing it for fun at this point. Also of note this is not a "typical" situation, this is an Expat school overseas and the students will all move on after graduation. My daughter is an exceptional singer and she "has the bug". They have an opportunity to play an outdoor gig with a couple hundred people. This event is not a concert but more entertainment while people are moving around and such. picture a small town festival with people waiting in line for food booths and game tables and such. They currently do not have a PA system. I am looking into finding rental options, but am also considering an investment. I am wondering if a pair of JBL EON 615's can do the job along with a Yamaha MX20XU (or similar) mixer. I am picturing being able to expand to the subs in the future and do add ons, but want to limit my investment for now. Any suggestions for best bang for buck.

The Band currently has Drums, 2x guitar, Bass, occasional keys, and vocals. They play pop / rock music. (Cranberries, GnR, to Adele)

Thanks for the input

Reactions: dan elvernon
My first thought is to rent gear. A powered mixer and a couple of passive cabs should do for a start-up band.
If I were you I'd start by purchasing a personal mic for your daughter - one that only she will use. (I am a local sound provider and I can't believe the number of vocalists that will use any mic put in front of him/her.) I'm not a "germ-a-phobe" but....... A vocal mic (xlr) can be used almost anywhere.. A Shure SM58 has been the industry standard for years.

Why rent a PA? Depending on your location in Europe the power situation is probably different in that of the states and the cost of shipping gear back to the states would probably amount to the same as renting it in the first place.

For a "one off" rent.

M

I agree with Mike, but will add a couple notes:
* While the SM58 is an industry standard, it is by no means the only choice out there. If possible, I'd try to have your daughter audition several vocal mics and find the one that works best for her voice (and has decent rejection of other sounds, so that her voice is the only thing the mic is picking up on the stage)

* For the band you've listed, the only thing I'd typically be putting into the PA in most small venues is vocals (and keys if there's no keyboard amp, and maybe a bit of kick drum). So I'd look at getting a small "vocals only" PA at this point. For simplicity, a single self-powered speaker would be fine (I'd pick something that can also be used as a stage monitor, so it can be repurposed if the group grows, or used as a "practice amp"). Personally, I like the QSC K8 and K10, and the Yamaha DXR series for this, although I've not worked with the recent JBL boxes. Note that very few of the self-powered speakers have phantom power, so you won't be able to plug a condenser mic directly into them.

My first thought is to rent gear. A powered mixer and a couple of passive cabs should do for a start-up band.
If I were you I'd start by purchasing a personal mic for your daughter - one that only she will use. (I am a local sound provider and I can't believe the number of vocalists that will use any mic put in front of him/her.) I'm not a "germ-a-phobe" but....... A vocal mic (xlr) can be used almost anywhere.. A Shure SM58 has been the industry standard for years.

Why rent a PA? Depending on your location in Europe the power situation is probably different in that of the states and the cost of shipping gear back to the states would probably amount to the same as renting it in the first place.

For a "one off" rent.

M
Thanks for the reply, I just got her an SM-58 (but she doesn't know it yet) so that block is checked for now. I suspect she may find another mic that she likes down the road, but by all accounts the SM58 is a sturdy reliable Mic to get her started. (She actually has a few other pics, but they are cheaper ones )

I agree with Mike, but will add a couple notes:
* While the SM58 is an industry standard, it is by no means the only choice out there. If possible, I'd try to have your daughter audition several vocal mics and find the one that works best for her voice (and has decent rejection of other sounds, so that her voice is the only thing the mic is picking up on the stage)

* For the band you've listed, the only thing I'd typically be putting into the PA in most small venues is vocals (and keys if there's no keyboard amp, and maybe a bit of kick drum). So I'd look at getting a small "vocals only" PA at this point. For simplicity, a single self-powered speaker would be fine (I'd pick something that can also be used as a stage monitor, so it can be repurposed if the group grows, or used as a "practice amp"). Personally, I like the QSC K8 and K10, and the Yamaha DXR series for this, although I've not worked with the recent JBL boxes. Note that very few of the self-powered speakers have phantom power, so you won't be able to plug a condenser mic directly into them.

one of the things I like about the JBL EONs is that they are dual Voltage so can be used worldwide

one of the things I like about the JBL EONs is that they are dual Voltage so can be used worldwide

Most of the self-powered speakers available today are auto-ranging 100-240V for worldwide use (both the Yamaha DXR and QSC K.2 families are), and many have removable power cables, so that using in a different country with different voltage and different wall outlet type is simply a matter of swapping out the power cable.

I'd look at a small mixer, one of the X32 flavors, Yamaha DSR112 speakers, E935 mics, and subs. Even though not a pro band (yet?) real subs help the music feel less amateur. Especially outdoors the bass just evaporates. Audix D6 kick, various i5 or E906, and some Radial Pro DI boxes.

The largest cost, and most personal-preference influenced, are the subs. Hence leaving them undefined. I'd look first at powered JTR Orbit Shifters but that reflects my personal taste, not other's.

Much cheaper than this means rental.

I am new to this but I am eager to learn. My daughter is the one with the musical talent, she is the frontwoman for a band. This is a HS aged band and they are doing it for fun at this point. Also of note this is not a "typical" situation, this is an Expat school overseas and the students will all move on after graduation. My daughter is an exceptional singer and she "has the bug". They have an opportunity to play an outdoor gig with a couple hundred people. This event is not a concert but more entertainment while people are moving around and such. picture a small town festival with people waiting in line for food booths and game tables and such. They currently do not have a PA system. I am looking into finding rental options, but am also considering an investment. I am wondering if a pair of JBL EON 615's can do the job along with a Yamaha MX20XU (or similar) mixer. I am picturing being able to expand to the subs in the future and do add ons, but want to limit my investment for now. Any suggestions for best bang for buck.

The Band currently has Drums, 2x guitar, Bass, occasional keys, and vocals. They play pop / rock music. (Cranberries, GnR, to Adele)

Thanks for the input

Greetings, Peter, and welcome to SoundForums.Net

Expat school band? Hmmm. Sounds like a fun project and they'll have these memories forever. It's very cool you're helping out.

Are you and daughter re-locating after graduation? If so, owning small things like microphones makes much more sense than owning loudspeakers. If you are the remainers then there are a few other questions mixed in with some observations. Here goes...

1 - Buying your first microphone is a "gateway drug" purchase. Soon you'll be attending 12-step meeting for "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" and parking your car in the drive because the garage is either warehouse or rehearsal space (or a bit of both). You'll have anxiety before purchasing and the relief is brief and fleeting. Can you say "Hi, I'm Peter and it's been 8 days since my last gear purchase..."? /satire

2 - If your daughter is really into popular music performance I think the best thing you can do for her is help find the best vocal coach/teacher in your region. Gear can be fun because we know it's an extender of the performance; it's a tool used to represent the talent to the audience... but what goes into the mic is more important than what the mic is, at least up to a point. Your SM-58 gift is highly appropriate - she may move on/up to other microphones but *every* singer knows what to do with a 58 because of their ubiquity. Again, find a voice coach who understands both technique and idiom. It's about properly developing a young singer's voice without causing damage or ingraining bad techniques into the muscle memory.

2a - Singing is 90% physical, and the physical aspects of singing are: breathing, phonation, and diction. How a singer does those 3 things determines their tone, stamina, and useful range. The 10% of singing that isn't physical? That's space for the craft and artistry of the singer, it's the part that makes most singers average and a few, outstanding. It, too, can be developed. /my college education finally paid off, Mom!

3 - If your daughter isn't moving after graduation, the small flexible system mentioned up-thread is great (see item #1). Really it is. Here, try the apple... :devilish:

4 - Planning on providing equipment and technical support if she decides to put another band together in 6 months?

5 - Should you decide to jump into loudspeaker and mixer ownership there is a whole lotta other stuff necessary to make all the bigger parts work and play nice together. See item #1. Again.

The advice for Mike, Rob and Caleb above is spot on (Caleb's suggestions are a bit on the pricey side but you'd have a very capable system with ability to cover more than a pub or bar).

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc