Happy Labor Day!

Jan 12, 2011
Detroit area
Hmmm, first in years that I didn't work...(i hope it's a growing trend)

Happy Labor Day to Everyone. I hope that whether it's between set changes, or putting another steak on the grill while you're sipping your favorite beverage, that you take a minute of time to remember what this Holiday symbolizes.... those that fought for decent working conditions and pay.

(while it may smack of Politics, it's been Federalized as a non Political National Holiday)

Hammer

Re: Happy Labor Day!

I have already turned off the news to avoid the (those who should not be mentioned by me)... So yes, lets try to remember what this holiday symbolizes. :)

While inspecting even the history of this holiday is interesting, and hopefully already well explored by any who want to know.

JR

Labor Day? It was labor day? I forgot all about it, haha hope yall had a good one. The dust settled a bit so that made for a nice mission, but no day off thats for sure.

Last edited:

Triangle Shirtwaist workers... thank you.

Ford Motors workers beaten by Pinkerton thugs... thank you.

Miners, steel workers, sanitation workers, office employees and all the others who came together to improve the conditions, safety and inequalities in the workplace... thank you.

Thank you for the weekends off; thank you for vacations; thank you for negotiated benefits.

To the Wisconsin "governors" of America.. Fuck you.

I'd like to thank the businesses that gave us all a job. Without them, there would be no organized labor. Hopefully they can survive another couple years when we can get "Chicago style" politics out of our house!

And you have never gotten political Charlie? I will not reply to another comment on this thread, giving you the last word. I understand that politics are not allowed here. See you at the polls.

Scott,,, relax It's the official day for unions to strut so let them be.

Some people don't even realize they are showing partisan bias when making posts (some do and don't care). If the room is full enough with people of a like mind, it doesn't seem controversial or confrontational.
=====
You have as much right as anybody else to post in like kind, but why bother (and use up your Karma)? You aren't going to change anybody's mind... So give the lads some space, a few seem angry for one reason or the other.

Do not make it personal, or try to justify that some how two wrongs are less bad than one wrong...
======

Where is Brookhaven MS..? I thought I lived in nowhere'sville, MS... I had to zoom way out on google maps to see where that is... Just like me near the highway on the way to somewhere else... with one of those government subsidized airports nearby :) Enjoy that for now, I hear the government is running out of money.

JR

Liz and I spent the weekend entertaining employees, feeding employees, and cleaning the toilets they use... and doing the taxes we pay to employ employees.

I'm of the understanding that's what employers are suppose to do during Labor Day weekend. Hopefully we're correct... as we've been doing that for a couple of decades during this weekend and commonly at other times during the year.

I know Liz and I are really tired... and tomorrow is Monday times two.

Hey JR, I'm originally from the Cuba AL area, right across the state line in I-20. Meridian is my old stompin' ground. I took guitar lessons from the legendary Steve Watson for a while. My Brother used to fly model airplanes with Hollis Calvert many years ago. We've probably crossed paths at some point in the past. Meridian ain't that big.

Take care,

Scott

Yup, I knew Hollis, he's a good ole boy... in the good way... He was also into bow and arrow IIRC. His wife worked at Peavey too.

Meridian was even smaller (in a bad way) when I was still working at Peavey and so many people that I didn't know, knew who I was... not so bad now, because I don't party like I used to. :)

JR

You know, I'm heartbroken beyond belief at this thread....

Over the past 2 years, I have withdrawn from forums, eschewed nearly all of my friends, except for my Mom, my girlfriend, and my boss, and generally just closed myself off to the world, except for the tiny little bubble that I occupy. What else of going on is of absolutely no concern to me. No one can change what's happening and what's about to happen. And what is that? Human nature taking a nasty turn, that's what.

There are so many people that participate here in the forums that I've held so much respect for, but now you are no better than the rest of the population. And WTF are you talking about, you are asking at this point??

Everyone has become an expert on politics. I mean, EVERYONE. I'm sick of it. No one has a fucking true clue what's going on in DC. You might as well be arguing over boxers or briefs for all you know and all of the good you are accomplishing. Please, you tell me what's going on in a place where these fools and idiots rip and shred each other on TV, radio, and the print all day long, then yuk it up arm in arm all night in their parties, the bars, the events, and all of the other places they can see and be seen. They are master at stirring up the lemming to further their cause. And you choose to buy whatever bullshit your side of the aisle is selling?? F'in' please...Every bit of this is our fault. We let it happen over the course of 30-40 years. And that big ass Genie is out of the bottle. It is not going to get any better. I hope you people remember all of this shit when you, your friends, and your families are fighting over this shit in the streets. And who started it. And over what?

Naive of me? Perhaps and thank God (oooh, wonder how many of you that pissed off??)

Good luck, and good bye.

Geri O

There are so many people that participate here in the forums that I've held so much respect for, but now you are no better than the rest of the population. And WTF are you talking about, you are asking at this point??
I have my failings... MANY... I admit. I'd like to think I'm doing what I can to fight the good fight... and if I'm not, I'd like to think that I pay my court jesters pretty good (to whack me up alongside the head). Cause if I'm not fighting the good fight doing what I'm doing, then fuggit... I wasn't looking for a job when I invented this one... and I'll find some other honest line of work. Life's tough enough... and if there's something we can do to help each other, I'm all for that. Talking about it is a good start... I think that's why we invented communication... to share ideas... and the only bad idea is generally one that isn't shared. In numbers we're strong, on our own... we're just a twig.

Last edited: