Have you checked your tire pressure lately?

Re: Have you checked your tire pressure lately?

Same here, my Car tells me if I need to pump them up within 5 PSI. I'm looking for a decent deal on some snows, but haven't found any yet.

Bennett do you use the same wheel rims for both sets of tires? or do you have two sets of wheels? I've been looking at buying a summer set of wheels for my car, and throwing the snows on my steel rims. But I'm not sold on the idea of having two sets of TPMS sensors and having to deal with switching them back and forth.

Best deal on tires in general is to buy from tirerack.com and then have them drop shipped to a recommended installer. Just got some Blizzaks for the wife's RAV4 that way and some Michelin LTXs for my Highlander. Between both vehicles, I've saved several hundred $ compared to buying the same tires from a regular tire store.

As for your dilemma about having 2 sets of rims, I hear ya. Too much money to get another set with the TPMS. So we just swap them when the seasons change on the RAV.

Greg

Bennett do you use the same wheel rims for both sets of tires? or do you have two sets of wheels? I've been looking at buying a summer set of wheels for my car, and throwing the snows on my steel rims. But I'm not sold on the idea of having two sets of TPMS sensors and having to deal with switching them back and forth.

Adam, I have them change the tires off the existing alloy wheels with TPMS and everything. I just keep the tires in the garage, when I change over between seasons I want them to do an alignment anyway.

My local Big Cheap Tire Place will price match to TireRack.com, so I support a local business and don't have to deal with shipping big things.

Currently using Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 for winter, fantastic tires. On less racy cars I've used Blizzaks and they are excellent, especially in very deep snow. The Pilot Alpins get me just as good performance on the kind of snow we see most here in the northeast, IMHO, with handling better than most high end all seasons.

I don't miss the need for seasonal tires, while I ran michelin pilots several tires ago as my year round tire, because I t-boned my car into a guard rail in the rain once, so water clearance remains one of my priorities when selecting tires, and as I recall the pilots were good in the wet.

FWIW I know one guy who had an expensive alloy rim ruined by a flaky corner tire shop, maybe save your plane jane steel rims for the winter tires, and only use the chrome plated spinners with your summer tires. :)

JR

I have pressure indicating valve caps that I visually check once a week or so.
automatic-tire-gauge.jpg

Much easier than getting finding a gauge and taking 4 measurements.