Headset Microphones

Kole Tilley

Freshman
Jan 13, 2015
Arkansas
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a headset microphone that is compatible with a Shure ULXD1 Beltpack. I've worked with d:fine headset mics by DPA but, those are about the best I've come across. Anyone have any other suggestions or favorites they want to steer me towards?

Thanks.

Re: Headset Microphones

A lot of us are finding success with Microphone Madness microphones. Good quality, and cheap enough to replace if they get damaged.

Last edited:

IMNSHO: Nothing comes close to the sound quality of DPA, but it comes with a price. A big one. I sold off all my other mics and replaced them with DPAs two years ago except a pair of Royer 121 and Senn MKH50 that I use for electric guitars. Never regretted it.

A lot of us are finding success with Microphone Madness microphones. Good quality, and cheap enough to replace if they get damaged.

Out in my car at the moment, I've got 18 channels of AT wireless that belongs to a local theater company. They purchased a bunch of MM headsets and hair mics after their AT headsets started to fail after 5 years of constant use. The MMs really don't hold up very well for them, so there is definitely a trade off in robustness with the lesser priced headsets in their experience.

Really depends on what your planned use is, critical speaking or performance
or a general purpose mic for kids in plays.

Pyle has headset mics available on Amazon for about $12 that actually works
and sounds better than the price would lead to you believe, perfect for harsh environments!

Another mic at the utilitarian end the headset mic scale is the AV-JEFE AVL623, durable, sounds decent on Amazon for $60.

All of the high end choices have been pretty much covered.
Would this be used for speaking and presentation, children’s plays or live vocals
with a full band. If live vocal with a band you may want to look that boom style
that puts the mic in front of the mouth.

Last edited:

They sound fine. If the use is light duty, they should hold up ok. The problem I see is with theatrical use where actors are doing costume changes and jumping around. They tend to fall apart in that environment. Connections, cords, capsules, they don't hold up.

Thanks for the insight Greg! We shouldn't have any situations where the talent would be really rough on the microphone but, at the same time we still want it to be durable just in case it were to get roughed up a little.

I have a bunch of Microphone Madness MM-PSM-Ls and frankly I have never found them to be any less robust than my MKE2s or B6s. Some of mine are 5-6 years old and still going strong, although repeated cleaning (Goo-Gone and IPA wipes) has made the cables go rather stiff. The weak point of any mic with a Sennheiser EW transmitter is the crappy 3.5mm plug, even when it's a nice one like a Switchcraft. I've only lost one MM-PSM with a failure at the business end, and that was my fault for bending it too much during a half-assed attempt to make a halo rig at very short notice. Mostly it's broken connections at the plug-end.

I took a dive on an MM-PSM after Simon messaged me a few months back and I like them. They sound fine - not great, but fine. I can see how they might not hold up if you beat them around, but if you take good care of them (like I try to), they should last just as well as an AT mic - which I personally hate the sound of, while I'm thinking about it. If you're going to beat them up, the good news is that they cost next to nothing. From what I know of the work you do, Kole, the MM-DPSM is going to hold up plenty well.

I use mine around HS actors who don't have much respect for the equipment. Thankfully I have the luxury of a director who can impress upon them that respect, and nothing gets broken as a result. So as far as situations where they get beat up goes? I really haven't experienced any real abuse with mine.

The weak point of any mic with a Sennheiser EW transmitter is the crappy 3.5mm plug, even when it's a nice one like a Switchcraft.

I was originally nervous about the 3.5mm plug, but the all-metal, thread-locking factory style plug has proven less troublesome than the Shure TA3/4.

I have a bunch of Microphone Madness MM-PSM-Ls and frankly I have never found them to be any less robust than my MKE2s or B6s. Some of mine are 5-6 years old and still going strong, although repeated cleaning (Goo-Gone and IPA wipes) has made the cables go rather stiff. The weak point of any mic with a Sennheiser EW transmitter is the crappy 3.5mm plug, even when it's a nice one like a Switchcraft. I've only lost one MM-PSM with a failure at the business end, and that was my fault for bending it too much during a half-assed attempt to make a halo rig at very short notice. Mostly it's broken connections at the plug-end.

We have had a MMPSM with Sennheiser EW plug and it lasted roughly two years before breaking the connector off. This was in a Church setting so used every weekend. The sound was decent. I would have no problems using it again, for the price its not bad.