Headset mics for theater

Jay Barracato

Graduate Student
Jan 11, 2011
Solomons MD
I know I have seen this discussed but I can not remember what the recommendation was. Our high school theater department needs new headset mics. Most of their critical performances are musicals with instruments in the pit, but I have never seen them set up any foldback for the stage.

They are currently looking at either the AT BP892c or I have also pointed them to the microphone madness headsets. The current question is would they be better off with omni or cardiod headsets?

While cardiod would probably be a little more forgiving for feedback, it is also more critical about placement. I was thinking that the omni would be a little better for students doing costume changes.

Any thoughts?

Re: Headset mics for theater

I'm having very good results with the A-T MC30 omni "lozenge" size/shape mic in conjunction with the 3000 series transmitters/receivers. Definitely not appropriate for use with monitors but very natural sounding and versatile - we tape them along the actors hairline with the mini cable running over their ear - available in a very subtle flesh tone.

HTH,
Al

For theatre, I tend to use "lav" microphones. I start with a small beige one and then I color them with Copic markers to match actor's hair and skin as needed and I add wire, toupe clips, or whatever other paraphernalia is needed to mount them the way I want to. I typically use Countryman B3 and B6 models but I have also had success with the DPA 4060 and Sennheiser's MKE2 and MKE1. The MKE1 and B6 are smaller than the other options I listed but they are also more expensive. I am demoing some AT units on an upcoming musical and I will post about my experiences with them in a month or two.

Something in-between an old-school "headset" mic and an omni lav is something like the "earset" mics out there by a few manufacturers. The Countryman E6 was maybe the first out there. Now, AT, Lectrosonics and several others also have mics like this. The advantage is better gain before feedback vs. a lav mic placed somewhere further from the mouth. They are almost as invisible, but not quite. They are much lighter and less of a nuisance than the more standard "headworn" mics.

The ultimate, IMO, though is the DPA 4088 headset. It is more secure on the head, and offers a lot of options for adjustment. With a directional element, the GBF is about as good as you can get. The downside is that it is not as invisible as the above option.

At the moment I am running 9 of the Microphone Madness earsets for a school play. No live music, just side-wash monitors for the playback. Other than some odd voices on some of the boys who are stuck in the middle of getting their adult voices these units are behaving admirably on both AT and PGX rigs. Best bang for the buck and the money back guarantee is solid gold. If they don't work as advertised, they'll take 'em back.

DR

Something in-between an old-school "headset" mic and an omni lav is something like the "earset" mics out there by a few manufacturers. The Countryman E6 was maybe the first out there. Now, AT, Lectrosonics and several others also have mics like this. The advantage is better gain before feedback vs. a lav mic placed somewhere further from the mouth. They are almost as invisible, but not quite. They are much lighter and less of a nuisance than the more standard "headworn" mics.

The ultimate, IMO, though is the DPA 4088 headset. It is more secure on the head, and offers a lot of options for adjustment. With a directional element, the GBF is about as good as you can get. The downside is that it is not as invisible as the above option.

I have never had success with the cardiod DPA. They are too susceptible to proximity changes and the smallest movement of the mic renders any eq setting useless. For spoken word, or someone who just stands there and sings with minimal movement they are fine. Once anything above step-touch choreography is added I would guess you are going to be better of with an omni mic.

At the moment I am running 9 of the Microphone Madness earsets for a school play. No live music, just side-wash monitors for the playback. Other than some odd voices on some of the boys who are stuck in the middle of getting their adult voices these units are behaving admirably on both AT and PGX rigs. Best bang for the buck and the money back guarantee is solid gold. If they don't work as advertised, they'll take 'em back.

DR

I picked up some of these, and like Dick said, for the price, they can't be beaten. I will be getting more as I require.

Thanks all,

I am back to my initial instinct and that is recommending they get a bunch of the omni's from microphone madness.

DR
Are you using the single ear or double ear model? If double, which side to you usually choose?

I picked up a couple Pyle PMEMS10.

I have tested them but have not engaged them in combat yet.

They are far lower cost then the typical ear worn mic.

They ordered a bunch of the microphone madness omnis. If I have to stiffen the earpiece I will go old school with some florist's wire. I am hoping I can get them budgeting for replacement on a reasonable schedule. It will seem a lot painful for them to buy one or two a year instead of getting in the position where they need 10 of them.